Metro
14.3m Nigerians Involved In Drug Abuse — NDLEA
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA said approximately, 14.3 million Nigerians are involved in drug abuse.
The Ogun state Commander of the NDLEA, Ibiba Odili, stated this during the Launch of the War Against Drug Abuse in Abeokuta on Saturday.
According to the agency, the 14.3 million Nigerians involved in drug abuse are within the age range of 15 and 64 years, adding that more women are now involved.
Odili decried the alarming trend of the involvement of women in drug abuse in the country, saying one in four is a woman.
She said, “2018 survey tells us that the most common drug abused in Nigeria is cannabis, which regrettably is cultivated mostly in the southwest region of Nigeria.
READ ALSO: Cultism: NDLEA Arrests 30 Suspects Over Alleged Illicit Drugs Dealing In Edo
“That, one out of every four drug users is a woman. In 2018 data shows that more women are going into drug use. And if more women are going into drug use, it is a source of worry for us, because;
“…it means that the traditional row of women in families and communities are caregivers, role models, and live moulders will be threatened, because what quality of children are these women going to raise.”
She explained that Nigeria transformed from a mere transit country for drug trafficking to a major consumer and even producer of illicit substances.
She said, “We started by being a transit country, consuming maybe cannabis, alcohol, and all of that, then, we graduated to heroin, cocaine, but today, regrettably, Nigeria is not just transit, we are huge consumers, and we are not just cultivator of cannabis, we are now producing drugs, such as methamphetamine, which is highly addictive, very potent.”
She further said that the survey revealed that, young people were getting creative and innovative in finding new ways to get high.
READ ALSO: Stray Bullets Kill Child, Injure Sibling As NDLEA Operatives Raid Drug Joint In Delta
She added that they now abuse household substances like methylated spirit, glue, nail polish, paint thinner, fermented urine, and even the heads of matches, as this contributes to the complexity of the drug abuse issue.
Odili warned about the dire consequences of drug production, especially substances like methamphetamine.
She explained that regions involved in producing such drugs may suffer from various forms of cancer and other terminal diseases within a decade or two.
She urged the stakeholders to take an active role in addressing the drug abuse problem, especially considering Nigeria’s large youth population.
You may like
Metro
‘He Married Me Cos’ Of My Property, Later Deserted Me Cos’ I’m Barren’
Published
8 minutes agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting at Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has heard the evidence of a woman, Omolara, who brought a divorce suit against her husband, Olalekan, whom she alleged, showed her no care, attention and love because she is barren, but that he was after her property.
The plaintiff added that the defendant later deserted her 13 years ago and that she had not set eyes on him since then.
The defendant was absent in court despite being served court summonses.
Omolara in her evidence said, “My husband and I got married in 2009 in a church, but no marriage certificate was issued us by the church.
READ ALSO:My Husband Travelled For 2 Yrs To Work, Returned With Only Plantain, Yam, Woman Tells Court
“He also did not fulfill the traditional requirement of paying my bride price.
“My husband became uncaring, unloving and hostile as the years went by in our marriage because I failed to bear him a child.
“He treated me like a piece of furniture in the home. We hardly discussed or shared views while he kept his activities away from me.
“He started abusing me verbally, leaving me emotionally and psychologically unstable.
“My husband rather than giving me his support in all efforts I made in putting an end to our childless state neglected me.
READ ALSO:I No Longer Love My Husband, I Want Divorce —Wife
“He rejected all my efforts to bring the spark back in our relationship.
“He also frustrated every step my family members took at restoring peace in our home.
“It gradually became clear to me that my husband pretended to love me while we were dating because he wanted to take possession of the property I acquired before we met.
“His family members gave me no respite. They were also hash and unkind towards me.
“They tried all they could to bring an end to our relationship.
READ ALSO:I Cheated On My Husband Only 3 Times, Woman Confessed In Court
“I travelled out of town for a course which held for a few weeks but met an empty home on my return.
“My husband deserted our home and left the keys to our apartment with my friend.
“I have not set my eyes on him for over 13 years.
“I came to court today, because I want to move on with my life.
“I, therefore, earnestly plead with this honourable court to release me from the bondage I am presently in called marriage.
“I plead for divorce.”
The court president, Mrs O.E Owoseni, adjourned the case for judgment.
Metro
Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
Published
14 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.
According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.
It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.
READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General
A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.
The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.
READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage
The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.
However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.
Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.
Metro
Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
Published
23 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.
The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.
In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.
Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.
READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide
It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.
The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.
Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.
Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.
READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap
Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.
Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.
As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.
However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.
READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed
On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.
The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.
However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.
The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.
- DANGER: Six Incurable Diseases You Should Know — And Their Causes
- ‘He Married Me Cos’ Of My Property, Later Deserted Me Cos’ I’m Barren’
- I Don’t Want A Refund Of My Wife’s Bride Price — Husband
- West Ham Reject Chance To Sign Andre Onana On Loan
- Police Urge Bauchi Residents To Remain Calm Amidst Soldier’s Death In Bauchi
- Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
- Four Places In The World Without Traffic Lights
- Nigerian Student Wins ‘Top In World’ Cambridge IGCSE English Award
- How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
- Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
Trending
- Politics5 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News5 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline5 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline5 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics5 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics5 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- News5 days ago
Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday
- Headline5 days ago
Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region
- Sports5 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]