Headline
$1bn Military Helicopters: US Trainers To Spend Two Years In Nigeria
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
The United States Government has said the implementation of its proposed sale of 12 AH-1Z Cobra attack helicopters to Nigeria will require the deployment of three of its representatives or those of the contractors to reside in the country for two years for the purposes of training and logistics.
The US Defence Security Cooperation Agency, on Thursday, said in a statement on its website titled, ‘Nigeria – AH-1Z Attack Helicopter Related FMS Acquisitions’, that the notice of the potential sale was required by law and that Congress had been notified of the possible transaction.
It said the State Department had “made a determination approving a possible foreign military sale to the Government of Nigeria of AH-1Z attack helicopter related FMS acquisitions and related equipment for an estimated cost of $997m.”
The statement named the principal contractors as Bell Helicopter, Textron, Fort Worth, TX; and General Electric Company, Lynn, MA, saying the proposed sale would better equip Nigeria to contribute to shared security objectives, promote regional stability and build interoperability with the US and other western partners.
READ ALSO: Insecurity: US Approves $1bn Attack Helicopters, Others For Nigeria, Buhari Meets Service Chiefs
On the need to deploy representatives of either the US government or the contractors in Nigeria, the statement partly read, “Implementation of this proposed sale will require the assignment of US Government or contractor representatives to Nigeria for mobile training teams and contract logistics support.
“The case will include special training on the law of armed conflict and human rights, and air-to-ground integration to minimise civilian harm in air operations. This proposed sale will also require multiple trips by US Government and contractor representatives to participate in programme and technical reviews plus training and maintenance support in the country, on a temporary basis, for a period of five years.
“It will also require approximately three contractor support representatives to reside in the country for a period of two years to support this programme.”
Meanwhile, the statement pointed out that the cost of the equipment could eventually reduce, depending on certain variables, adding, “The description and dollar value is for the highest estimated quantity and dollar value based on initial requirements. Actual dollar value will be lower depending on final requirements, budget authority, and signed sales agreement(s), if and when concluded.”
Security experts hail move
Some security experts, who spoke with Saturday PUNCH on Friday, hailed the proposed acquisition, saying it could be a game-changer in the onslaught against terrorists.
They said it would also enhance the capability of the military to deal decisively with the bandits-turned-terrorists, especially since the authorities appeared unwilling to deploy the Super Tucano jets against them.
According to the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the sale includes the Bell-made Cobras; 28 General Electric-made T700-401C engines (24 installed, four spares); 2,000 Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System used to convert unguided missiles into precision-guided missiles; M197 20mm machine gun; Night Vision Cueing Display; commercial variant GPS with Standard Positioning Service; communication equipment; electronic warfare systems; AN/AVS-9 Aviator’s Night Vision Imaging System and targeting and navigation systems. It also includes $25m for institutional and technical assistance to the Nigerian Armed Forces.
READ ALSO: Insecurity: Why Northern Elders Are Angry With Buhari – Femi Adesina
Reports had indicated that the US State Department approved the sale of military hardware to Nigeria after lawmakers lifted their objections over human rights concerns.
An intelligence and security risk management consultant, Kabir Adamu, noted that the nature of the threat elements in Nigeria required air capability that was ideal for urban warfare and precision-style interdiction attacks.
“These two requirements can be met by combat helicopters. This is in addition to meeting the requirement for rapid response as part of a light force capability that all modern military and security forces should have. I, therefore, welcome this acquisition and see it as a possible game-changer in the current conflict dynamics in the country,” he stated.
Adamu noted that drones would be a good addition to the military arsenal, both for intelligence gathering and the fact that there were multiple theatres of conflict the military was engaged in.
A former Director of the Department of State Services, Mike Ejiofor, said the attack choppers were good, but they must be put into effective use, especially in the North-West and North-Central, where there had been massive kidnappings and killings since the terrorists relocated from the North-East.
He added, “Who knows when it is coming? If it’s something that is ready for delivery soon, it is fine. But the question is; where are the Tucano jets we bought earlier? However, they should help us in operating these platforms. We also need effective drones.
“The greatest challenge we have is that we can’t quickly locate them (terrorists) when they are coming; the Air Force could bomb them on their way, but that has not happened. What they have been doing is to come within an area view and tell us that a number of persons have been killed.”
The Chief Executive Officer, Agent X Security Limited, Timothy Avele, also said the choppers and drones would help in the fight against terrorism.
He said, “It’s a good move. I will advise that they should be used mainly as a quick response force immediately. They should be used especially in Kaduna, Niger Katsina, Zamfara and Sokoto states, and other emerging volatile zones. It should be noted that, for better results, long endurance, all-weather drones for 24/7 aerial surveillance and monitoring must be used to complement these helicopters and of course, human intelligence is necessary too.”
READ ALSO: Pastors Embark On Peaceful Protest Over Insecurity In Kaduna
A retired US Army Captain and security consultant, Bishop Johnson, said the Nigeria Air Force must be careful with the deployment of the attack helicopters to minimise collateral damage.
He stated, “With these kinds of military packages from the United States, they are usually very specific on how this equipment, especially aircraft, should be deployed. The most important factor they usually consider is that the aircraft is not used against innocent Nigerians and is not used to commit human rights violations.
“Other than that, I think they should be deployed where necessary and where they can add value to the Nigerian Air Force to tackle the security challenges Nigeria is facing right now.”
He said the Air Force had in recent times been more careful not to kill innocent persons, noting that the deployment would normally be based on operations and intelligence received.
Another security expert, Oladele Fajana, urged the military to ensure that the rights of people were not violated and that innocent persons were not killed.
“Without getting rid of these terrorists, Nigeria will not have peace; so, if those things can be hastened and delivered to Nigeria, they should be deployed immediately, because this war is not a conventional one. The enemies are within. The security personnel alone can no longer fight this war. We need technology. If deployed, they’re going to help,” he stated.
Also, a security consultant, Mr Yemi Adeyemi, said the military would need to exercise care in the way it handles the fighter helicopters when they finally arrive in Nigeria.
“The Air Force should be careful so they don’t harm innocent lives. It is a delicate matter, which is why they should always be trained and retrained on how to tackle this war,” he added.
However, a Fellow of the International Institute of Professional Security and certified golden member of the International Security Association, Switzerland, Jackson Olalekan-Ojo, said all the government needed was the political will to flush out terrorists from Nigeria and not the acquisition of fighter helicopters.
He stated, “This is a colossal waste of our resources because it does not matter the kind of arms and ammunition you import into this country; the most important thing is the willpower to fight these insurgents. If they bring these fighter helicopters into this country, they still need the instruction of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Buhari, to deploy them.
“If there is no political will, they will bring in the helicopters and dump them in one of the Air Force bases. It is a way to siphon money to run the elections. Why are they serious about getting these helicopters now? It is a strategy to embezzle money, because they know it is in the defence sector that no one probes their finances.”
You may like
Headline
Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
Published
5 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
A40-year-old Nigerian man, Daniel Chima Inweregbu, has pleaded guilty in the United States to charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, as well as money laundering, in connection with a romance scam that defrauded American women of more than $405,000.
The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana, in a statement on Thursday, said Inweregbu and his co-conspirators ran the scheme between July 2017 and December 2018, using a fake online persona named “Larry Pham” to lure victims on dating sites and social media targeting US citizens.
Acting U.S. Attorney Michael M. Simpson said that Inweregbu, described as a citizen of Lagos, Nigeria, pleaded guilty on August 21, 2025 before United States District Judge Nanette Jolivette Brown to two of the counts pending against him.
The counts which include conspiracy to commit mail fraud, wire fraud, and using an assumed name to commit a mail fraud scheme, Attorney Simpson said were in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1341, 1342, 1343 and 1349 (Count 1), and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1956(a)(1)(B)(i), 1957, and 1956(h) (Count 12). INWEREGBU’s plea stemmed from his role in a lengthy romance scam targeting American citizens.
READ ALSO:My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband
According to court documents, a “romance scam” was a confidence scheme in which the perpetrator feigned romantic intentions towards a victim, gained their affection, and used the victim’s goodwill to commit fraud.
“These fraudulent acts might involve such acts as obtaining access to the victim’s money, bank accounts, credit cards, passports, e-mail accounts, or national identification numbers; convincing the victim to transmit things of value to the perpetrator or his witting or unwitting co-conspirators; or inducing the victim to, unintentionally, commit or participate in the commission of financial fraud against third parties on behalf of the perpetrator,” the statement read.
It added, “Between at least July 1, 2017, and December 16, 2018, Inweregbu, and his co-conspirators, devised and operated a “romance scam” whereby they sought to obtain money and property from multiple American women, including 4 victims, by means of false and fraudulent representations and promises.
“Specifically, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators created profiles on social media and online dating sites using the alias “Larry Pham,” purportedly a middle-aged male, to attract middle-aged female victims.
READ ALSO:US Court Jails Nigerian For Large-scale Hacking, Identify Theft
“The co-conspirators, including Inweregbu, used online messaging platforms and email, to contact victims, introduce themselves, and appeal to victims’ longing for companionship. If the victim responded favorably, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators began to cultivate a romantic relationship that emotionally attached the victims to “Larry Pham.”
“Once the relationship was established, the defendant and his co-conspirators, posing as Larry Pham, requested victims send them money under various scams and ruses to domestic bank accounts they opened and managed. Inweregbu’s scheme resulted in actual and intended losses to the victims of over $405,000.
“Thereafter, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators laundered the funds, by conducting financial transactions using the proceeds of their wire and mail fraud scheme, designed in whole or in part to conceal and disguise the nature, location, source, ownership, and control of the proceeds, by directing the victims’ funds through intermediaries.
READ ALSO:US Court Sentences American To 40 Years For Beheading Gokada Nigeria Founder
“Inweregbu faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $250,000 as to Count 1. He faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $500,000 as to Count 12. He also faces payment of a $100 mandatory special assessment fee per count. Sentencing before Judge Brown has been scheduled for December 4, 2025,” the partly read.
Acting U.S. Attorney Simpson, according to the statement praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in investigating this matter and expressed appreciation for the great support provided by United States Department of Justice Office of International Affairs and the United States Department of State.
“Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg, Chief of the Public Integrity Unit, is in charge of the prosecution,” the statement noted.
Headline
UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
Published
5 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The British government has unveiled major immigration reforms, blocking foreign workers from filling more than 100 job categories in a move aimed at reducing net migration.
The Home Office, in a statement posted on X Saturday morning, said the decision was geared towards creating more opportunities for local citizens while restructuring the visa regime.
“Cutting net migration means getting the fundamentals right.
READ ALSO:US Envoy, Minister Address Visa Policy Changes, Urge Compliance
“More than 100 occupations are no longer eligible for overseas recruitment – opening up more jobs for British workers. A fairer, skills-focused system is now taking shape,” the Home Office stated.
This policy marks the latest immigration clampdown under Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who assumed office on July 5, 2024, after Labour’s sweeping election win that ended Rishi Sunak’s tenure.
However, the measure has drawn criticism, with opponents warning it could deepen staffing shortages in critical sectors such as healthcare and social services.
The Home Office has not yet published the full list of restricted occupations.
Headline
PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
Published
5 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The prime minister of Yemen’s Huthis was killed in an Israeli airstrike along with other officials earlier this week, the Iran-backed rebels announced on Saturday.
Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, who was appointed last year, is the most senior official known to have been killed in a series of Israeli strikes during the war in Gaza.
“We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi… along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy,” a Huthi statement said.
READ ALSO:Rivers Sole Administrator, Ibas Dismantles Fubara’s Political Structures With Key Appointments
“Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon,” it added.
The Israeli military struck in the area of Sanaa, the Huthi-held capital, on Thursday. The Huthis, claiming solidarity with the Palestinians, have frequently fired missiles and drones at Israel during the Gaza war.
READ ALSO:How Imo Monarch, Cop Suspected Killers Were Arrested — Police
Israeli forces “struck a Huthi terrorist regime military target”, the Israeli military said at the time.
The Huthis have also targeted shipping in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, which they claim is linked to Israel during the Gaza war.
The rebel group controls large parts of Yemen, which has been gripped by war since 2014, and is part of Iran’s anti-Israel alliance alongside militant groups across much of the Middle East.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News5 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics5 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Sports5 days ago
Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News5 days ago
Tinubu Signs Direct Flight, Other Agreements With Brazil
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News5 days ago
PHOTOS: Brazil Welcomes Tinubu With Full Military Honours In Brasília
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud