Metro
20 Feared Perished In Boat Crash In River Benue
Published
9 months agoon
By
Editor
Not fewer than 20 people have reportedly died after a boat capsized in the River Benue on Saturday.
According to DAILY POST, their canoe tumbled as they were crossing from Ocholonya in Agatu LGA to Odenyi in Nasarawa Toto LGA of Nasarawa State after their activities at Ocholonya market.
An eyewitness, Fada Awatsu saịd, “the wooden boat was loaded with goods and passengers from Ocholonya market.
“It was overloaded and shortly after takeoff there was uproar by passengers in the boat and it eventually tumbled and lowered into the water.”
READ ALSO: Kogi: Boat Conveying 200 Capsizes, Eight Bodies Recovered
They were from Agatu, Agbashi, Ajima, Okpata, Rukubi, Ondoli, Odadu in Doma LGA.
Sources said the victims were mostly women and children who were returning home from the market.
So far, 19 corpses have been recovered from the accident, while rescue efforts is ongoing to salvage others.
When contacted, the Chairman of Agatu Local Government Area, Hon.Melvin Ejeh confirmed the unfortunate incident.
He said, “the victims were returning from Ocholonya market to their village in nearby Nasarawa state.
READ ALSO: 17 People Missing As Tourist Boat Sinks In Red Sea
“The view of the sailor was obstructed by shrubs in the river and when the canoe hit the trees, it crashed and capsized ”
Hon Ejeh said over 20 bodies have been recovered and rescue operations is still ongoing.
He said he will send officials of the council to commiserate with the families of the deceased.
Meanwhile repeated phone calls to the Benue State Police Command Spokesperson, SP, Catherine Anene to confirm the incident were not answered.
You may like
Benue Assembly Gets New Speaker
JUST IN: Benue Assembly Speaker Aondona Dajoh Resigns
BREAKING: Benue Assembly Suspends Four Members For Attempting To Impeach Speaker
Benue Bans Nursery Graduations, Customised Textbooks In Schools
BREAKING: Heavy Gunfire As Benue Community Comes Under Attack
Residents Flee As Gunmen Attack Benue Community
Metro
DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
Published
4 minutes agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
The Department of State Services on Thursday filed charges at the Federal High Court, Abuja, against nine suspects allegedly linked to recent deadly attacks in Yelwata, Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, and parts of Plateau State, which left more than 40 people dead, many others injured, and hundreds displaced.
The massacres prompted a visit by President Bola Tinubu, during which he urged the people of Benue to embrace peace.
He also directed security agencies to fish out the perpetrators.
In a charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/453/2025, dated August 8, 2025, the DSS alleged that the suspects, arrested across ethnic and religious lines, were responsible for coordinated attacks.
According to the charge, one Haruna Adamu, Muhammad Abdullahi of Awe LGA in Nasarawa State, and others still at large, allegedly carried out attacks on the people of Abinsi and Yelwata villages on June 13, 2025.
READ ALSO:53 Suspects Arrested Over Benue, Plateau Wedding Killings — IGP Egbetokun
The DSS said the offence is contrary to and punishable under Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, 2022.
Adamu and Abdullahi were further accused of conspiring with Musa Beniyon, Bako Malowa, Ibrahim Tunga, Asara Ahnadu, Legu Musa, Adamu Yale, Boddi Ayuba and Pyeure Damina, among others, to carry out the attacks.
The Federal Government, through the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, Muhammad Abubakar, accused the two defendants of engaging in conduct preparatory to committing terrorism.
In another charge, two other suspects, Terkende Ashuwa and Amos Alede of Guma LGA, Benue State, were arraigned on a three-count charge for allegedly carrying out reprisal attacks against terror suspects involved in the Abinsi and Yelwata incidents.
READ ALSO:Residents Flee As Gunmen Attack Benue Community
In the charge sheet marked FHC/ABJ/CR/448/2025, the two were accused of attending and participating in a meeting that led to acts of terrorism, including the destruction of private property and the loss of 12 cattle in Ukpam village, Benue State.
This, the DPP stated, contravenes Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, 2022.
Count two alleged that, in July 2025, at a meeting in Daudu town, Guma LGA, the suspects conspired with others still at large to commit terrorism, contrary to Section 26 of the Act.
Count three accused them of knowingly receiving material assistance, including locally made guns and AK-47 rifles, from one Alhaji Uba, for acts of terrorism that caused destruction of property and the loss of cattle in Ukpam, contrary to Section 13 of the Act.
READ ALSO:‘Enough Is Enough,’ 2Baba, Other Celebrities Break Silence On Benue Killings
In a separate case, a 32-year-old woman, Halima Haliru Umar of Faskari LGA, Katsina State, was arraigned on a four-count charge of terrorism. She was accused of transporting 302 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition to bandits in July 2025, an offence contrary to Section 13 of the Act.
She was also charged with concealing information about one Alhaji Sani, a suspected arms dealer, bandit and kidnapper. The DSS said the information could have led to his arrest and prevented acts of terrorism. This, it said, is contrary to Section 6 of the Act.
Similarly, a 75-year-old man, Nanbol Tali, and another, Timnan Manjo, were arraigned on four counts of allegedly buying and selling two locally fabricated AK-47 rifles without a licence for ₦3 million. The DSS said the offence is contrary to Section 9 of the Act and punishable under Section 27 of the Firearms Act, 2024.
They were further accused of possessing a locally fabricated AK-47 rifle in Manju LGA, Plateau State, and of buying three long-range revolvers at ₦60,000 each from one Chomo for resale to bandits.
READ ALSO:Over 200 Killed In Yelewata Massacre As Survivors Grapple With Fear, Loss, And Trauma
Also charged was one Danjuma Antu of Jos North LGA, Plateau State, on a five-count charge of unlawful possession of two locally fabricated pistols capable of discharging 9mm calibre ammunition. The DSS said this contravenes Section 3 of the Firearms Act, 2024, and is punishable under Section 27.
In another case, the DSS filed a six-count charge against one Silas Iduh Oloche of Agatu LGA, Benue State, for unlawful possession of 18 firearms, including grenades, without a licence, contrary to Section 3 of the Firearms Act and punishable under Section 27.
Oloche was also alleged to have been found in possession of 683 live rounds of 7.62mm ammunition on August 2, 2025, contrary to Section 8 of the Firearms Act.
No date has been fixed for trial yet.
Metro
Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
Published
17 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of five suspected members of a notorious armed robbery and kidnapping syndicate, including a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army, in Awka, the state capital.
According to a statement issued on Thursday by the Public Relations Officer of the Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the operation was carried out on Wednesday, August 27, 2025, by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) in Awkuzu.
Ikenga said the operation was carried out after the Command received intelligence on the abduction of a farmer at Isiagu, Awka.
The victim was reportedly released after an undisclosed amount of ransom was paid.
The police spokesperson said that, acting on credible intelligence, police operatives stormed the gang’s hideout at Notoko, Awka, leading to the arrest of the confessed deserter soldier and four other suspects.
Ikenga identified the suspects as 38-year-old Dominic Oraz, a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army; 30-year-old Michael Nwobodo; 29-year-old Eze Friday; 23-year-old Uche Okolo, and 29-year-old Chinedu Gilbert.
“Exhibits recovered from the suspects include six automatic pump-action guns, 63 rounds of live cartridges, one microscope, five machetes, one military cap, two police teargas canisters, handcuffs, a robber’s rocket launcher, criminal charms, three Motorola walkie-talkies, one jack knife, one power bank and cash sum of N26,000,” Ikenga stated.
He said that during interrogation, Oraz admitted abandoning the military in November 2024.
READ ALSO:UK To Bar Criminals From Football Matches, Pubs, Travel Under New Policy
Ikenga noted that investigations are ongoing, particularly regarding the deserter soldier, in collaboration with military authorities, to guide further police action and prosecution of all suspects.
He said the Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu, commended the operatives for the operation and urged residents of the state to remain vigilant and to continue to report suspicious activities to the Police for prompt action.
The commissioner also assured Ndi Anambra of the Command’s unwavering commitment to combating violent crimes.
Metro
Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
Published
18 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of five suspected members of a notorious armed robbery and kidnapping syndicate, including a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army, in Awka, the state capital.
According to a statement issued on Thursday by the Public Relations Officer of the Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the operation was carried out on Wednesday, August 27, 2025, by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) in Awkuzu.
Ikenga said the operation was carried out after the Command received intelligence on the abduction of a farmer at Isiagu, Awka.
The victim was reportedly released after an undisclosed amount of ransom was paid.
READ ALSO:Vigilantes Beat, Strip Female Corps Member In Anambra
The police spokesperson said that, acting on credible intelligence, police operatives stormed the gang’s hideout at Notoko, Awka, leading to the arrest of the confessed deserter soldier and four other suspects.
Ikenga identified the suspects as 38-year-old Dominic Oraz, a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army; 30-year-old Michael Nwobodo; 29-year-old Eze Friday; 23-year-old Uche Okolo, and 29-year-old Chinedu Gilbert.
“Exhibits recovered from the suspects include six automatic pump-action guns, 63 rounds of live cartridges, one microscope, five machetes, one military cap, two police teargas canisters, handcuffs, a robber’s rocket launcher, criminal charms, three Motorola walkie-talkies, one jack knife, one power bank and cash sum of N26,000,” Ikenga stated.
He said that during interrogation, Oraz admitted abandoning the military in November 2024.
READ ALSO:Anambra Arrest Four For Impersonation
Ikenga noted that investigations are ongoing, particularly regarding the deserter soldier, in collaboration with military authorities, to guide further police action and prosecution of all suspects.
He said the Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu, commended the operatives for the operation and urged residents of the state to remain vigilant and to continue to report suspicious activities to the Police for prompt action.
The commissioner also assured Ndi Anambra of the Command’s unwavering commitment to combating violent crimes.
- DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
- Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
- Why I’d Choose Tinubu Over Obi – Adeyanju
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
- Ebonyi Raises Minimum Wage From N70,000 To N90,000
- Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
Trending
- News5 days ago
DSS Issues Warning, Arrests Man For Circulating Fake Recruitment Materials
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- Politics5 days ago
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Politics5 days ago
Primate Ayodele Releases Fresh Prophecies On FIRS, FAAN, Others
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro5 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News5 days ago
‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South