News
2023: Nigerian Students Storm APC Secretariat, Vow To Shut Down Airports
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
Members of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, South West Zone D, on Monday, stormed the National Secretariat of All Progressives Congress, APC, Abuja, to protest against a petition and call by a group to disqualify the Governor of Ogun State, Prince Dapo Abiodun from running for the second term in office.
According to the protesters, a group had called for the prosecution and disqualification of the governor from contesting for a second term in office.
The students also vowed that they would not relent in the ongoing nationwide protest against the prolonged strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), noting that the next phase of the protest would target the shutdown of airports and other sources of the Federal Government revenue until the strike is called off.
READ ALSO: ‘Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Shocked’ – Lawyer On Beheading Of Anambra Lawmaker
They also called on the Federal Government, particularly the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to ensure diligent prosecution of the arrested Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Ahmed Idris.
Recall that Idris was arrested by EFCC in connection with the alleged diversion of funds and money laundering activities to the tune of N80 billion.
The students who were led by the NANS South West Coordinator, Comrade Adegboye Olatunji, and Chairman of NANS Ogun Joint Campus Committee (JCC), Comrade Kehinde Damilola Simeon, during the protest, asked APC leadership to clear Governor Abiodun to contest for re-election as Ogun State Governor.
The protesters wielded placards of various inscriptions saying the governor prioritized education in the state.
NANS South West Coordinator, Adegboye Olatunji, told newsmen that the students were led by their leaders to APC Secretariat to present their position to the leadership of APC and to dissociate themselves from the recently “sponsored and ill-motivated” protest against Dapo Abiodun.
“We call on the leadership of the All Progressive Congress to discountenance their frivolous petition and trash it because to us as students leaders of South West, they are an illegitimate group.
READ ALSO: NDDC Revokes Contracts, Orders Contractors To Refund Monies
“May we equally use this opportunity to pass a vote of confidence on Prince Dr Dapo Abiodun, the Executive Governor of Ogun State, for his commitment and sacrifices towards education development in the State,” Olatunji said.
Speaking on the strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Chairman of NANS Ogun JCC, Comrade Kehinde Damilola Simeon, called on the Federal Government to look into the plight of the lecturers and by extension the students who bear the brunt of the strike with the view to acceding to the demands of the Union.
He warned that the students would not relent in the ongoing protest until the strike is called off for campuses to be reopened to students, saying the South West students only broke from the nationwide protest to come on solidarity protest at the APC Secretariat.
He said: “We have been the ones at the forefront of protest against the strike by ASUU in the South West starting with the blockade of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway and Ijabu Ode-Ore road that was done last week.
“We have been leading the agitation that the Federal Government listens to the plight of ASUU. Our coming here today does not mean that we have sheathed our swords in the aspect of fighting for the rights of our lecturers and by extension, the generality of the Nigerian students. ASUU is asking for what is their right.”
On the arrest of Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Ahmed Idris, by EFCC, he said it was quite unfortunate and “a slap on the dignity of Nigeria as a nation when some lecturers are on strike for demands that are not even up to half of the money that one person is embezzling”.
Simeon said, “It’s high time the Federal Government takes up their responsibility and does what is right by using some of these people as examples to serve as a deterrent to others.
“The educational sector is suffering and UNESCO recommended that 26% of every nation’s budget should be spent on education but we are not near this in Nigeria.
“I can assure you that we will be back on the streets as soon as possible until our voices are heard and the Federal Government does the needful, we won’t relent. We are planning to see that all sources of revenue to the government, including Federal Government properties like airports will be shut down soon”.
READ ALSO: N80bn Fraud: Buhari Replaces Suspended Accountant-General Of The Federation
You may like
Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
Crisis Rocks Sokoto APC As Defunct CPC Bloc Alleges Marginalisation
APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation
News
Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
Published
6 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday shocked a female puff-puff seller during a rally in Osogbo by buying all her snacks with ₦50,000 and offering her employment as a chef at the Government House.
This happened when Osun public servants trooped out in their thousands in what they called an appreciation solidarity rally in support of the governor for his support and care since he took over state governance.
It was observed that the governor, who sat in the bus, had sighted the woman who was among the crowd cheering him.
He immediately beckoned to the woman carrying a plastic container filled with puff-puff on her head and asked how much it would cost to buy all the snacks.
READ ALSO:Adeleke Flies To US For Davido’s Wedding
The female hawker, who was visibly surprised and star-struck at the level of her proximity to the governor, found it difficult to even tell the governor how much she sold the snacks.
Surprisingly, Adeleke handed her a bundle of ₦50,000 to the cheers of the crowd.
The lucky woman knelt down in appreciation of the governor’s generosity.
Excited onlookers quickly rushed to share the snacks in the plastic already purchased by the governor.
READ ALSO:Tinubu Hosts Gov Adeleke, Deji Adeleke, Davido In Lagos
The governor invited the vendor inside the vehicle where one of his officials questioned her academic background, and she revealed that she holds a Nigerian Certificate in Education.
Adeleke further asked about the dishes she could prepare and instructed his aides to take her contact details for employment as a chef in the Government House.
Confirming the development, the Commissioner II at the Osun State Civil Service Commission, Olaniyan Taofeek, shared the video on X (formerly Twitter), writing: “The moment Gov. Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller into a Government House chef.”
READ ALSO:It’s Like He Came Back – Davido Discloses Son’s Resemblance To Late Ifeanyi Adeleke
A Special Assistant to the Governor on Digital Media, Oni Gbenga Lawrence, also corroborated the incident in a post on X, stating: “Moment Governor Ademola Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller to Government Chef… not only ₦50k but he invited her into his car and employed her as chef in the Government House.”
The Guardian correspondent, who was at the scene of the welcome rally, made efforts to interview the lucky vendor, but they did not yield as she was not allowed to alight from the bus throughout the event.
(The Guardian)
News
Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools
Published
6 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Katsina State Government has withdrawn the operating licenses of all private and community schools in the state, with effect from August 13, 2025.
The announcement came through a circular issued by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education and signed by Commissioner Hajiya Zainab Musa-Musawa.
The ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Sani Danjuma, released the document in Katsina on Saturday.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated
According to the circular, the move is part of the government’s effort to strengthen quality assurance and standardization within the education sector.
“The withdrawal of licenses is aimed at ensuring that schools operate in line with approved standards and provide quality education to students,” Danjuma said.
The circular also outlined a review of fees for license application, registration, and annual renewal.
READ ALSO:Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes
“Owners of affected schools are required to obtain fresh licenses by submitting proof of payment to the ministry on or before September 30, 2025.”
The statement also added that school operators have been warned not to increase tuition or other charges without government approval.
The ministry further promised to issue additional guidelines soon, including categorization of schools and the revised fee structure.
News
JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
Published
8 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
British-born Nigerian missionary, Ruth Elton, reputed to be the oldest missionary has passed on at the age of 91.
Ruth Elton, born 7 September 1933, was a British-born Nigerian missionary whose lifelong dedication to faith, healing, and revival left an indelible mark on communities across western and central Nigeria.
It was learnt that Elton died on Saturday at Sharon compound, Alafia Bamin Quarters in Ilesa, Osun State.
She was the only daughter of Pa Elton and her remains have been deposited at the mortuary.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Ruth Elton, daughter of Sydney Granville Elton (Pa Elton), who is referred to as one of the founding fathers of Pentecostalism in Nigeria, had approached a Kaduna court and nationalised as a Nigerian.
At old age and despite the happenings in Nigeria, she still held in high esteem her father’s prophecies that although Nigeria could be known globally for corruption, it would only for a while as new dawn would beckon when the country would be known worldwide for righteousness and prosperity.
Elton moved to Nigeria in 1937 with her parents and served as a Christian missionary across Egbe, Okene, Koton Karfe, and other parts of Kogi, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun States.
READ ALSO: Viral TV Judge Frank Caprio Is Dead
A naturalised Nigerian, having renounced her British citizenship in the 1970s, she embraced the country completely and became fluent in Ebira and Yoruba.
Elton, who remained single, believed that she had made a true mark in the country and apart from her missionary work, she saw her efforts in taming infant mortality, especially in Okene, Kogi State as a generational impact.
Relating her experience on infant mortality in the country, Elton recently noted that many newborn babies had passed on due to lack of proper care and hygiene, adding that the practice of force-feeding babies contributed to the challenges, especially in the face of poor awareness.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- Sports5 days ago
Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News3 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News2 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News2 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee