Connect with us

Politics

2023: Nigerians Worried Elections Would Be Inconclusive, Violent – Gen. Abdulsalami

Published

on

As eight gubernatorial candidates sign the historic Peace Accords for the conduct of the 2023 elections in Kano, the Chairman of the National Peace Accords Committee, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, has revealed that Nigerians are highly disturbed that elections may be marred by violence.

The signing of the peace accords by the Kano candidates was organized by the state wing of the committee, Wednesday.

Advertisement

Abubakar, represented, by the Head of the Secretariat, Peace Accords Committee, Reverend Father, Attah Barkindo, during the event said there was palpable fear amongst citizens which should be doused by the relevant agencies.

READ ALSO: 2023: South West Leaders Drill Abiola, Sowore Over Plans Yo Rule Nigeria

Nigerians are worried that elections will be inconclusive and violent, this makes it mandatory for INEC and other Security agencies to sit up to ensure that the right things are done”.

Advertisement

General Abdussalam Abubakar, said the act of attacking Campaign convoys is another serious security problem that is brewing and should be stopped.

The Chairman of the Peace Accords Committee urged candidates to accept the outcome of the elections as a way of making Kano great and peaceful.

The Special Representative of the United Nations for West Africa, Madam Giovanni Biha, urged candidates to openly and actively denounce violence, saying that doing so will in no small measure curtail every uncertainty.

Advertisement

Madam Giovanni Biha commended the candidates for agreeing to sign the Peace Accord, explaining that the agreement in itself is a move towards ensuring peace in Kano.

READ ALSO: Obasanjo Speaks On June 12 Presidential Election Results Annulment

Secretary to the Independent Electoral Commission, INEC in Kano, Garba Lawal Muhammad said the Commission had already addressed issues with late arrivals of elections materials and other serious issues.

Advertisement

He said the essence of the peace accords is to commit actors to do what is right, this is because according to him, in the 2015 election, not less than 58 people were killed.

DAILY

Advertisement

Politics

Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara

Published

on

By

Supporters of former Zamfara Central Senator, Kabiru Marafa, have announced their resignation from the All Progressives Congress, citing what they described as injustice, marginalisation and deliberate neglect of the state by the ruling party and President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

The group, operating under the aegis of the Senator Kabiru Marafa Consultative Forum, met in Kaduna on Wednesday and Thursday, August 27 and 28, 2025, to deliberate on the worsening political, security and developmental situation in the state.

Advertisement

At the end of the meeting, the forum issued a communique signed by its chairman, Bashir Mafara, secretary Mannir Tsafe, and seven others, formally announcing their exit from the APC.

The communique partly read, “After broad consultations and critical review of the prevailing circumstances, the political structure of Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON across the 147 wards in Zamfara State unanimously resolved as follows:

READ ALSO:Ekiti 2026: APC Aspirant Slams Oyebanji For Threatening Party Leaders

Advertisement

“The entire structure with all its supporters hereby formally resigns from the All Progressives Congress in protest against the sustained injustice, mistrust, marginalisation, and deliberate neglect of Zamfara State and its people.

“That we shall, in due course, announce our next political direction, guided by the collective interest of the good people of Zamfara State.”

The group expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the state, pointing to official data and community reports on rising kidnappings and killings.

Advertisement

“The Federal Government of Nigeria, under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, hasn’t been able to address the persistent and senseless kidnappings and killings of innocent citizens in Zamfara State, despite the explicit promises made during the 2023 presidential campaign.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Pastor, Wife Over Staged Self-kidnap In Ondo

The situation continues to worsen, leaving communities devastated and hopeless,” they said.

Advertisement

The group claimed that reports indicate that out of the 4,722 people kidnapped over one year in Nigeria in 2024, 1,203 are from Zamfara State, followed by Kaduna State with 629.

It added that the Zamfara Circle Community Initiatives reported that 25 villages suffered attacks in one week after the just concluded by-election, with 145 people kidnapped and 21 killed.

The senator’s loyalists also accused the government of politicising insecurity for electoral gains.

Advertisement

On the alleged marginalisation of Zamfara in political appointments and projects, the communique added, “Despite the fact that Zamfara State was one of only two states in the entire North-West geopolitical zone that delivered victory to President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election spearheaded by Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON as State Coordinator which the President himself categorically acknowledged during his speech shortly after his declaration as the winner of the 2023 election by INEC, the state has been sidelined in all facets of human developments including protection of lives and properties, infrastructural developments as well as fair representation in political appointments.

READ ALSO:APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation

“The state was given only a Minister of State, while most states in the Northwest got two slots.

Advertisement

“But more unfair is the allocation given to the Southwest that corners the entire financial sector, with some states getting multiple ministerial slots and countless agencies.

“For example, Lagos state, where President Tinubu lost the election, has enjoyed overwhelming patronage in terms of appointments and developmental projects, underscoring the deliberate marginalisation of Zamfara state, where Mr. President won.”

READ ALSO:Group Demands Edo APC Secretary Resignation Over Alleged Marginalision

Advertisement

The forum concluded by accusing the APC leadership of betraying its founding principles of fairness and justice.

“The above actions and omissions negate the fundamental principles of justice, fairness, equity and accountability upon which the APC was founded.

“Conscience demands that genuine progressives must stand for truth and resist injustice, no matter how uncomfortable,” it said.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Politics

Why I’d Choose Tinubu Over Obi – Adeyanju

Published

on

By

Human rights activist, Deji Adeyanju, has explained why he would prefer President Bola Tinubu to Peter Obi if both men were to contest against each other in the 2027 elections.

Adeyanju, who spoke during an interview on Channels Television on Friday, said his position was not out of loyalty to the ruling All Progressives Congress, but a reflection of his personal convictions about democracy, tolerance, and political conduct.

Advertisement

Why would somebody like me support the APC? Support the APC for what? If the opposition presents Peter Obi, I will vote Tinubu.

“This is because we cannot have a situation where, a man whose supporters cannot tolerate criticism, call people all sorts of names.

“Anybody who does not support their candidate is an enemy of Nigeria. Anybody that does not support the candidate has been paid, has been compromised in supporting the government.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Obi Blames Tinubu For 70% Investment Crash

The activist rejected claims that he was working with the APC to weaken the opposition, insisting that his political interventions had always been consistent and independent.

He recalled that in previous elections he had voted for different candidates across party lines, based on what he described as his personal judgment of their suitability.

Advertisement

“I have never voted for a bad candidate in my view. In 1999, I voted for Obasanjo. In 2011, I voted for Goodluck Jonathan. In 2015, I voted for Jonathan again because I couldn’t support Buhari, and in 2023, I voted for Omoyele Sowore,” Adeyanju said.

According to him, his decision to oppose Obi stems largely from his experience with the behaviour of some of Obi’s supporters during the last election.

He alleged that many of them resorted to online attacks and intimidation of those with dissenting views.

Advertisement

“What we are saying is that we must sanitise our polity, that we cannot have a country where people who terrorise others who do not appreciate that people have their rights.

READ ALSO:‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu

“Look at what they did to Joke Silva during the election. They had artists and Nollywood people supporting them. Nobody terrorised those people.

Advertisement

“But they terrorised that woman, and other people, because she decided to support Tinubu in the last election. People have the right, I have the right.”

Adeyanju stressed that opposition politics in Nigeria could only succeed if there was unity among the major players, warning that a divided front would always favour the APC.

He recalled that he initially found Obi’s candidacy “exciting,” particularly as it represented a chance for the South-East to aspire to the presidency. However, he said his enthusiasm waned as the campaign progressed.

Advertisement

The idea of Obi’s candidacy excited me because the South-East has not produced a president since independence,” he said.

READ ALSO:2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu

Adeyanju noted however, that he couldn’t reconcile with some of the things he observed in the movement.

Advertisement

He further argued that his activism over the years had been about defending democracy and free expression, even at personal cost. He noted that he had faced multiple arrests in the past under different administrations because of his advocacy.

We have put our lives on the line for this country, for the preservation of democracy, at personal expense of prosecution. What kind of charges have we not faced in this country? At the time, I was almost charged with terrorism. They’ve charged me for all kinds of offences in this country,” he said.

He added that his decision to take a firm stance against Obi should not be mistaken for partisanship, emphasising that he remained committed to issue-based politics.

Advertisement

According to him, he is just expressing his views as a Nigerian. He noted that his opposition to Obi does not mean support for APC.

Because we cannot have a situation in our country or in our polity where political extremism becomes the order of the day. And Nigerians are living witnesses to the things that eventually happened to the build-up of the last election,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH

Published

on

By

Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the approval of ₦2.5 billion to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital by Governor Monday Okpebholo.

The Governor announced the approval on Tuesday when the new Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Idia Ize-Iyamu, paid a courtesy visit to him in Government House, Benin.

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu had requested the state government’s assistance in constructing a world-class Paediatric Centre worth N2.5 billion which the governor approved.

However, the PDP, in a statement by its Caretaker Committee Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikhare said the governor should have invested the money on state-owned hospitals instead of a federal institution.

READ ALSO:He Could Barely Garner 300,000 Votes, Yet Promising Tinubu 2.5m Votes, PDP Mocks Okpehbolo

Advertisement

The statement statement partly reads, “This misadventure is not only reckless but a glaring example of the 2027 election fixation and desperate eye-service politics that has defined Okpebholo’s almost one year in office.

“Edo people are being made to suffer while their resources are squandered on federal facilities that are not the primary responsibility of the state.

“We align with the position of the Association of Resident Doctors under Edo State Government Employment, who have openly decried this misplaced priority. Their statement exposes what Edo people already know, our hospitals are collapsing, yet the Governor prefers to chase cheap popularity.”

Advertisement

The PDP said that Stella Obasanjo Hospital, which was rebuilt with state funds, remained locked with less than a tenth in use, wondering why the ₦2.5 billion was not channelled there.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Okpehbolo Suspends His Special Adviser On Oil And Gas

The statement added, “The Edo Specialist Hospital continues to cry for expansion and adequate support but has been ignored by a government obsessed with pleasing political benefactors and seeking headlines.

Advertisement

“The General Hospital in Abudu is no more than a mere patent medicine store, and yet, ‘₦2.5 billion that belongs to Odogwu is being given to Caesar.”

The PDP also noted that Edo doctors, who only recently suspended their strike, still have their legitimate demands unmet.

Edo people obviously did not elect a Governor to act as a philanthropist to federal institutions. They elected a leader to fix our hospitals, build capacity, and ensure access to healthcare for all. By neglecting this sacred duty, Okpebholo has shown that he is unprepared, unserious, and out of touch with the realities of Edo citizens.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Edo Govt Demolishes Building Owned by Suspected Cultist

We in the PDP demand that this decision be reversed and that urgent attention be given to Edo-owned hospitals which directly serve our people. Edo deserves working hospitals, not political monuments built with eyes on the 2027 elections.

“This is not leadership. This is a reckless waste. And Edo people will not forget,” the statement added.

Advertisement

Efforts to get the government’s response proved futile, as a top official, who pleaded anonymity, said that a response will come on Thursday.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version