Connect with us

Politics

2023: Nigerians Worried Elections Would Be Inconclusive, Violent – Gen. Abdulsalami

Published

on

As eight gubernatorial candidates sign the historic Peace Accords for the conduct of the 2023 elections in Kano, the Chairman of the National Peace Accords Committee, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, has revealed that Nigerians are highly disturbed that elections may be marred by violence.

The signing of the peace accords by the Kano candidates was organized by the state wing of the committee, Wednesday.

Advertisement

Abubakar, represented, by the Head of the Secretariat, Peace Accords Committee, Reverend Father, Attah Barkindo, during the event said there was palpable fear amongst citizens which should be doused by the relevant agencies.

READ ALSO: 2023: South West Leaders Drill Abiola, Sowore Over Plans Yo Rule Nigeria

Nigerians are worried that elections will be inconclusive and violent, this makes it mandatory for INEC and other Security agencies to sit up to ensure that the right things are done”.

Advertisement

General Abdussalam Abubakar, said the act of attacking Campaign convoys is another serious security problem that is brewing and should be stopped.

The Chairman of the Peace Accords Committee urged candidates to accept the outcome of the elections as a way of making Kano great and peaceful.

The Special Representative of the United Nations for West Africa, Madam Giovanni Biha, urged candidates to openly and actively denounce violence, saying that doing so will in no small measure curtail every uncertainty.

Advertisement

Madam Giovanni Biha commended the candidates for agreeing to sign the Peace Accord, explaining that the agreement in itself is a move towards ensuring peace in Kano.

READ ALSO: Obasanjo Speaks On June 12 Presidential Election Results Annulment

Secretary to the Independent Electoral Commission, INEC in Kano, Garba Lawal Muhammad said the Commission had already addressed issues with late arrivals of elections materials and other serious issues.

Advertisement

He said the essence of the peace accords is to commit actors to do what is right, this is because according to him, in the 2015 election, not less than 58 people were killed.

DAILY

Advertisement

Politics

Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date

Published

on

By

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Saturday said he was optimistic that the state of emergency declared in Rivers State would expire on September 18.

He disclosed this after casting his vote in the ongoing local government election in the state.

Advertisement

Wike noted that the expiration would pave the way for the state House of Assembly to resume its legislative duties.

READ ALSO:He’s Always Leaving, Wike’s Aide Mocks Atiku Over PDP Exit

As far as we are concerned, this election is peaceful, people are trooping out and at the end of the day the election has been conducted successfully and peacefully.

Advertisement

“I do know that by September 18, the state of emergency will expire and the state assembly will come back to their job and we will have a government at the grassroots level,” Wike said.

The minister said the conditions were right for lifting the state of emergency since both state and local governments now had representation.

READ ALSO:Amaechi: I Will Resign As FCT Minister If… Wike

Advertisement

He added, “The coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, being that the state government has its representative and the local government has its representatives, so we are good to go.”

President Bola Tinubu had earlier imposed emergency rule in Rivers to prevent a political crisis, suspending Governor Siminalayi Fubara, his deputy, and the State House of Assembly for six months.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

APC Mocks Jonathan As ADC Woos Him For 2027 Race

Published

on

By

There were reports on Friday that a powerful group within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) is wooing ex-President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2027 presidential race.

A source close to both the former president and the ADC told Saturday Tribune on Friday that the former president is seriously considering running in the coming presidential polls.

Advertisement

The source confirmed that key figures in the ADC were comfortable with having Jonathan as their presidential candidate and had, in fact, reached out to him.

He, however, said the former president was torn between his loyalty to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) “which made him” and the ADC which, he said, had the potential of winning the election if it gets the right candidate.

“Former President Goodluck Jonathan is worried that certain persons with strong links to the Villa may still be in control of the PDP and may mess him up if he seeks the ticket of that party,” the source said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

He added that Jonathan’s only issue with the ADC is that “he does not want to contest against Peter Obi because he believes that the Igbo people supported him in 2015 even more than his own Ijaw people.”

While saying emphatically that Jonathan would run except he could not find a platform, the source added that “if he chooses our party (ADC), we will zone the presidency to the South. If he does not come to us, we will have no option than to go to the North because politics is about numbers and winning.”

Advertisement

Jonathan can’t defeat Tinubu —APC

Meanwhile, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that former President Goodluck Jonathan cannot defeat its candidate, Bola Tinubu, in the presidential election coming up in 2027.

The Lagos State chapter of the party said on Friday that it had observed with keen interest the growing speculations surrounding the possible return of former President Jonathan to the 2027 presidential race, and therefore made the submission.

Advertisement

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Jonathan, who lost his re-election bid in 2015 to the late President Muhammadu Buhari, is being persuaded by supporters to seek reelection in 2027 general elections.

READ ALSO:ADC Slams Tinubu Over Mounting Debts, Demands Audit

NAN reported APC’s spokesman in Lagos State, Mr Seye Oladejo, in a statement on Friday as noting that the former president’s political relevance to unseat President Bola Tinubu, remained in doubt.

Advertisement

While we acknowledge the former president’s role in the peaceful democratic transition of 2015, an act that rightly earned him praise at home and abroad, we must state, in clear terms, that Nigeria has since moved beyond the politics of sentiment, nostalgia, and symbolism.

“The challenges of today and the future require bold, capable, and forward-thinking leadership, not a return to the comfort of a past that was far from perfect.

“Let it be clear: good luck alone is not a governance strategy,” he said.

Advertisement

Oladejo alleged that the Jonathan administration, from 2010 to 2015, left behind a country grappling with severe structural weaknesses, from unchecked corruption to alarming insecurity and economic inertia.

READ ALSO:Oyegun Blames APC For Hunger Starvation, Oyegun Gets ADC Party’s Card

While some may look back on those years with rose-tinted glasses, we must remind ourselves that nostalgia is not a policy platform.

Advertisement

“Emotion cannot drive economic reform, and sentimentality will not fix power generation, insecurity, youth unemployment, or education sector decay,” the APC chieftain said.

Oladejo said that the party also noted the constitutional and political complications of a potential Jonathan candidacy.

According to him, having completed more than one term in office, any return bid will inevitably trigger legal contention and political instability — distractions Nigeria cannot afford in a time when decisive action is needed across all sectors of national life.

Advertisement

Moreover, the former president’s political relevance has been complicated by his recent engagements across party lines.

READ ALSO:97 Lawyers Line Up To Defend ADC, Mark, Aregbesola Against APC’s ‘Fake Lawsuit’

His flirtation with the APC and absence from PDP’s strategic rebuilding efforts raise questions about his loyalty, clarity of vision, and political intentions,” he said.

Advertisement

According to him, the APC remains focused on consolidating progress, implementing reforms, and engaging the Nigerian electorate with fresh ideas and credible candidates who reflect the aspirations of a dynamic, youthful population.

We believe the future of Nigeria does not lie in recycled leadership but in visionary governance rooted in integrity, innovation, and resilience.

“Former President Jonathan remains a respected elder statesman. His legacy as a peaceful democrat is assured. But legacies are not manifestoes, and nostalgia is not governance.

Advertisement

“We urge Nigerians to reject emotional shortcuts and stay focused on the need for capable, accountable and transformative leadership.

“As 2027 approaches, let us not reach backwards in desperation, but move forward with courage and clarity,” Oladejo said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara

Published

on

By

Supporters of former Zamfara Central Senator, Kabiru Marafa, have announced their resignation from the All Progressives Congress, citing what they described as injustice, marginalisation and deliberate neglect of the state by the ruling party and President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

The group, operating under the aegis of the Senator Kabiru Marafa Consultative Forum, met in Kaduna on Wednesday and Thursday, August 27 and 28, 2025, to deliberate on the worsening political, security and developmental situation in the state.

Advertisement

At the end of the meeting, the forum issued a communique signed by its chairman, Bashir Mafara, secretary Mannir Tsafe, and seven others, formally announcing their exit from the APC.

The communique partly read, “After broad consultations and critical review of the prevailing circumstances, the political structure of Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON across the 147 wards in Zamfara State unanimously resolved as follows:

READ ALSO:Ekiti 2026: APC Aspirant Slams Oyebanji For Threatening Party Leaders

Advertisement

“The entire structure with all its supporters hereby formally resigns from the All Progressives Congress in protest against the sustained injustice, mistrust, marginalisation, and deliberate neglect of Zamfara State and its people.

“That we shall, in due course, announce our next political direction, guided by the collective interest of the good people of Zamfara State.”

The group expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the state, pointing to official data and community reports on rising kidnappings and killings.

Advertisement

“The Federal Government of Nigeria, under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, hasn’t been able to address the persistent and senseless kidnappings and killings of innocent citizens in Zamfara State, despite the explicit promises made during the 2023 presidential campaign.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Pastor, Wife Over Staged Self-kidnap In Ondo

The situation continues to worsen, leaving communities devastated and hopeless,” they said.

Advertisement

The group claimed that reports indicate that out of the 4,722 people kidnapped over one year in Nigeria in 2024, 1,203 are from Zamfara State, followed by Kaduna State with 629.

It added that the Zamfara Circle Community Initiatives reported that 25 villages suffered attacks in one week after the just concluded by-election, with 145 people kidnapped and 21 killed.

The senator’s loyalists also accused the government of politicising insecurity for electoral gains.

Advertisement

On the alleged marginalisation of Zamfara in political appointments and projects, the communique added, “Despite the fact that Zamfara State was one of only two states in the entire North-West geopolitical zone that delivered victory to President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election spearheaded by Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON as State Coordinator which the President himself categorically acknowledged during his speech shortly after his declaration as the winner of the 2023 election by INEC, the state has been sidelined in all facets of human developments including protection of lives and properties, infrastructural developments as well as fair representation in political appointments.

READ ALSO:APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation

“The state was given only a Minister of State, while most states in the Northwest got two slots.

Advertisement

“But more unfair is the allocation given to the Southwest that corners the entire financial sector, with some states getting multiple ministerial slots and countless agencies.

“For example, Lagos state, where President Tinubu lost the election, has enjoyed overwhelming patronage in terms of appointments and developmental projects, underscoring the deliberate marginalisation of Zamfara state, where Mr. President won.”

READ ALSO:Group Demands Edo APC Secretary Resignation Over Alleged Marginalision

Advertisement

The forum concluded by accusing the APC leadership of betraying its founding principles of fairness and justice.

“The above actions and omissions negate the fundamental principles of justice, fairness, equity and accountability upon which the APC was founded.

“Conscience demands that genuine progressives must stand for truth and resist injustice, no matter how uncomfortable,” it said.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version