News
2023 Polls: Twist, Turns As Court Frees Nnamdi Kanu
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
There are indications that all is not well with the secessionist group, Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
This is as the highest decision making organ of the group, Directorate of State (DOS) has said that there are no plans to disrupt election in the South-East, but shortly thereafter, another group countered that position.
Videos of a breakaway member of the group, Mr Simon Ekpa, a Nigeria/Finland citizen had insisted that no election would hold in the zone.
Ekpa in a video that went viral on social media had threatened that there will be no election in the South-East in 2023, vowing that IPOB will disrupt the process.
But the media and publicity secretary of the group, Emma Powerful in a press statement last week said there is no truth in any information circulating on plans to disrupt election in Igboland.
READ ALSO: FG Insists Nnamdi Kanu Not Acquitted, To File Fresh Charges
Powerful in the statement said: “The IPOB leadership has for the umpteenth time stated unequivocally that part of our modus operandi in our agitation for freedom has never been, is not and will not be violent agitation. This explains our consistent demand for the UN to organise a Referendum in the Biafran territory for the Biafran people to determine their destiny. To this effect, IPOB is neither contemplating nor will it encouraged or sponsor anyone or group to disrupt the Nigeria shambolic selection process called election.
“IPOB has constantly made it public that we have no interest in and cannot legitimise the aberration they call election in Nigeria. We are a focused, determined and disciplined freedom fighting movement not political thugs and IPOB is devoted to the cause of liberating our people from subjugation and from modern day slavery and Neo-colonialism and will not allow ourselves to be distracted from this very objective. If in the future IPOB Leadership decides to make further statement on the upcoming Nigeria selection process called election, we shall make such statement through our official channels.”
The above had sparked a debate about the unity in the group, as Ekpa has severally made broadcasts, in the name of IPOB, including fundraising, and has severally declared sit-at-home protest in the name of the group, which were honoured by people in the South East. For an average man like Sylvester Sunday, a phone accessories dealer in Aroma junction, Awka: “To me, all of them are the same. Any time they declare their sit-at-home, I just obey.”
But Emma Powerful in a WhatsApp exchange with DAILY POST asked that all utterances of Ekpa be discarded and ignored, as he was neither a member of IPOB, not had he powers to speak for the group.
READ ALSO: Ozekhome Speaks On Kanu’s Acquittal, Admits Too Complex For Human Understanding
Powerful said: “You shouldn’t take what Simon Ekpa said because it won’t hold water. He is nobody in relevance and popularity. IPOB has no business in Nigeria selection called election and besides Simon Ekpa is never IPOB member and I don’t know why you equate his strategies with IPOB strategy.
“I called you before and informed you never to write whatever Simon Ekpa says, Simon Ekpa never introduced any new thing unless what IPOB introduced. Monday Sit-at-home was issued by IPOB and cancelled and he capitalise on it and is causing problem. Tell your people or friends to stop joining my statement with Simon Ekpa unless they have intentions to destroy IPOB which cannot work for them.”
Meanwhile, the discharge and acquittal of Nnamdi Kanu by the Court of Appeal on Thursday has raised mixed feelings among many. Many believe that Kanu’s release would help him to come out of detention and take a firm stand on the information he had been passing from prison through third party, he would be able to totally proclaim by himself that there would be no election boycott in the South East. Doing so, he would reign in the like of Ekpa and other alleged criminals operating in the South East in the name of IPOB.
But on the other hand, some people believe that the release of Kanu may be an orchestrated plot to use him to scare South easterners into voter apathy, as he would most likely insist on the realisation of Biafra, against peaceful election in the South East.
At UNIZIK junction, Awka, where some supporters of Kanu were jubilating over his recent discharge, a supporter, whose name was simply given as Oga Boss said: “Now that Kanu is on his way out of prison, let me see how all these people who are using his name to cause trouble can continue.
“Be it Simon Ekpa, who does not always listen anytime Kanu passes a message from prison, or all those people who go about kidnapping and dropping the name of IPOB, let me see how they will not listen when Kanu speaks.”
READ ALSO: Nnamdi Kanu: IPOB Reacts, Says ‘Biafra Realisation Is Next’
There have been news of how some people who were loyal to Kanu had been using his name to make money for themselves since Kanu has been in prison. During the Anambra governorship election in 2021, which was also the very peak of violence in the State, where many areas were declared very dangerous to visit, a governorship aspirant from a popular political party had to part with millions of Naira to persons who pledged loyalty to Kanu, just to assure there will be safety as the candidate flagged-off his campaign.
Meanwhile, two respondents, Victoria Mmerichukwu and Nwama Lubia who commented on Facebook said it is still suspicious how all charges against Kanu were dropped. They believe it may be a grand plot to use Kanu, through his release, to distract the Igbo.
“It’s indeed suspicious! I see it as a strategy, to bring division among Ndigbos. Because, for sure some will be agitating for Igbo Presidency while others Biafra, which they might (cause) declaration of no election in South East,” they said.
DAILY POST
You may like
Stop Begging Tinubu For Nnamdi Kanu’s Release, IPOB Tells Igbo Leaders
BREAKING: Scores Feared Dead As Suspected IPOB Members Unleash Terror On Imo Community
24 Pro-Biafran Detainees Freed After Four Years
IPOB Faults Soludo For Linking Igbo Youths To Kidnapping
IPOB Rejects FG’s Ranching Proposal, Says It’s ‘Land Grabbing’
FG Closes Case In Alleged Terrorism Trial Against Nnamdi Kanu
News
Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
Published
8 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday shocked a female puff-puff seller during a rally in Osogbo by buying all her snacks with ₦50,000 and offering her employment as a chef at the Government House.
This happened when Osun public servants trooped out in their thousands in what they called an appreciation solidarity rally in support of the governor for his support and care since he took over state governance.
It was observed that the governor, who sat in the bus, had sighted the woman who was among the crowd cheering him.
He immediately beckoned to the woman carrying a plastic container filled with puff-puff on her head and asked how much it would cost to buy all the snacks.
READ ALSO:Adeleke Flies To US For Davido’s Wedding
The female hawker, who was visibly surprised and star-struck at the level of her proximity to the governor, found it difficult to even tell the governor how much she sold the snacks.
Surprisingly, Adeleke handed her a bundle of ₦50,000 to the cheers of the crowd.
The lucky woman knelt down in appreciation of the governor’s generosity.
Excited onlookers quickly rushed to share the snacks in the plastic already purchased by the governor.
READ ALSO:Tinubu Hosts Gov Adeleke, Deji Adeleke, Davido In Lagos
The governor invited the vendor inside the vehicle where one of his officials questioned her academic background, and she revealed that she holds a Nigerian Certificate in Education.
Adeleke further asked about the dishes she could prepare and instructed his aides to take her contact details for employment as a chef in the Government House.
Confirming the development, the Commissioner II at the Osun State Civil Service Commission, Olaniyan Taofeek, shared the video on X (formerly Twitter), writing: “The moment Gov. Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller into a Government House chef.”
READ ALSO:It’s Like He Came Back – Davido Discloses Son’s Resemblance To Late Ifeanyi Adeleke
A Special Assistant to the Governor on Digital Media, Oni Gbenga Lawrence, also corroborated the incident in a post on X, stating: “Moment Governor Ademola Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller to Government Chef… not only ₦50k but he invited her into his car and employed her as chef in the Government House.”
The Guardian correspondent, who was at the scene of the welcome rally, made efforts to interview the lucky vendor, but they did not yield as she was not allowed to alight from the bus throughout the event.
(The Guardian)
News
Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools
Published
9 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Katsina State Government has withdrawn the operating licenses of all private and community schools in the state, with effect from August 13, 2025.
The announcement came through a circular issued by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education and signed by Commissioner Hajiya Zainab Musa-Musawa.
The ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Sani Danjuma, released the document in Katsina on Saturday.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated
According to the circular, the move is part of the government’s effort to strengthen quality assurance and standardization within the education sector.
“The withdrawal of licenses is aimed at ensuring that schools operate in line with approved standards and provide quality education to students,” Danjuma said.
The circular also outlined a review of fees for license application, registration, and annual renewal.
READ ALSO:Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes
“Owners of affected schools are required to obtain fresh licenses by submitting proof of payment to the ministry on or before September 30, 2025.”
The statement also added that school operators have been warned not to increase tuition or other charges without government approval.
The ministry further promised to issue additional guidelines soon, including categorization of schools and the revised fee structure.
News
JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
Published
10 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
British-born Nigerian missionary, Ruth Elton, reputed to be the oldest missionary has passed on at the age of 91.
Ruth Elton, born 7 September 1933, was a British-born Nigerian missionary whose lifelong dedication to faith, healing, and revival left an indelible mark on communities across western and central Nigeria.
It was learnt that Elton died on Saturday at Sharon compound, Alafia Bamin Quarters in Ilesa, Osun State.
She was the only daughter of Pa Elton and her remains have been deposited at the mortuary.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Ruth Elton, daughter of Sydney Granville Elton (Pa Elton), who is referred to as one of the founding fathers of Pentecostalism in Nigeria, had approached a Kaduna court and nationalised as a Nigerian.
At old age and despite the happenings in Nigeria, she still held in high esteem her father’s prophecies that although Nigeria could be known globally for corruption, it would only for a while as new dawn would beckon when the country would be known worldwide for righteousness and prosperity.
Elton moved to Nigeria in 1937 with her parents and served as a Christian missionary across Egbe, Okene, Koton Karfe, and other parts of Kogi, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun States.
READ ALSO: Viral TV Judge Frank Caprio Is Dead
A naturalised Nigerian, having renounced her British citizenship in the 1970s, she embraced the country completely and became fluent in Ebira and Yoruba.
Elton, who remained single, believed that she had made a true mark in the country and apart from her missionary work, she saw her efforts in taming infant mortality, especially in Okene, Kogi State as a generational impact.
Relating her experience on infant mortality in the country, Elton recently noted that many newborn babies had passed on due to lack of proper care and hygiene, adding that the practice of force-feeding babies contributed to the challenges, especially in the face of poor awareness.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News3 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News2 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News4 days ago
Edo Hospital Denies Complicity In Death Of Twin Babies
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
- Headline2 days ago
Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case