Connect with us

Politics

2023 Presidency: How Nnamdi Kanu’s Release May Affect Peter Obi’s Chance

Published

on

The release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, from the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS, may affect the chances of the Labour Party presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi to win the 2023 election.

Recall that the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal, in a unanimous verdict on Thursday, acquitted Nnamdi Kanu of all terrorism charges leveled against him.

The secessionist was thereby discharged from the custody of the DSS in the Federal Capital Territory.

Advertisement

Kanu, leader of the group agitating for the actualization of Biafra as a sovereign nation, was re-arrested in Kenya and brought back to Nigeria on June 28, 2021, to continue his trial bothering on treasonable felony.

Since his alleged unlawful repatriation to the country, the IPOB leader, who was accused of making utterances capable of threatening the corporate existence of the country while in the United Kingdom, had been in the custody of the Nigerian secret police amid several court cases.

READ ALSO: 2023 Polls: Twist, Turns As Court Frees Nnamdi Kanu

Advertisement

The news of his release yesterday plunged several Nigerians, particularly residents of the South-East, into celebration.

While reaction continues to trail the release, some stakeholders have predicted how Kanu’s freedom could affect the chances of the former Anambra State Governor to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari in 2023.

Prior to his arrest, Nnamdi Kanu, who is a major opinion leader in the South-East, had ruled out the possibility of the Nigerian government conducting elections in the region.

Advertisement

Some political analysts had hitherto revealed that the Labour Party relies more on the South-East for Peter Obi’s victory come 2023.

Although the IPOB leader is yet to speak since he was freed, a Public Affairs Analyst, Mr Kenneth Onah said on Thursday that Kanu’s release would affect Peter Obi’s presidential bid negatively.

According to him, Igbos would now continue their agitation for a possible break up from Nigeria, stressing that they may no longer be interested in the Igbo presidency or any form of election.

Advertisement

He said, “The attention of the whole Ndigbo has been shifted from Peter Obi. They are now following their master, Kanu, so Peter Obi and other presidential candidates who were relying on the South-East may have to look for alternatives.

“Before he was detained, he clearly told everyone that election would not hold in Igbo land. He is back, and agitation continues. This is going to affect Peter Obi more than other candidates”.

Recall that IPOB, while reacting to the release of their leader, told newsmen yesterday that the realization of the Biafra nation would be their next target, stressing that nothing can stop the movement.

Advertisement

In a chat with our correspondent, the IPOB spokesman, Emma Powerful, said, “Biafrans both home and abroad, including our friends, should rejoice because Almighty Chukwu Okike Abiama has done it again.

“Biafra realisation is the next target, and nothing will stop IPOB from achieving Biafra freedom.

“If you know you are criminal terrorising our people, just run because you are going to meet your waterloo.”

Advertisement

However, when contacted, the President-General of the Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, COSEYL, Mr Goodluck Ibem, countered Onuh, saying Kanu’s release would favour the Labour Party candidate.

“We are happy that he has been released. The release of Mazi cannot affect Peter Obi negativity, it will rather adds colour to what is already happening”, he said.

READ ALSO: FG Insists Nnamdi Kanu Not Acquitted, To File Fresh Charges

Advertisement

Asked if there was the possibility of Kanu asking the Igbos, particularly youths, to boycott the Igbo presidency, Mr Ibem said, “I can’t read his mind to know if he would say so, but all I know is that we are happy that he has been released and we are ready to vote.”

Similarly, a Labour Party member in Abuja, who identified himself simply as Mr IK, said the release of Knau would force many Igbos to change their negative perception of Nigeria.

He said, “I don’t see Kanu’s release as a threat to Peter Obi. The truth is that many people who didn’t plan to vote before due to what the government was doing to Kanu may now have a change of plan.

Advertisement

“Before now, they don’t believe in the judiciary, not to talk of the government itself but what happened today has made many people to change their thoughts.”

Politics

Soludo Visits Tinubu, Goes Into Closed Door Session With President

Published

on

Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, on Thursday, paid a courtesy visit to the President, Bola Tinubu, GCFR at the State House.

Report by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Soludo, Mr Chris Aburime stated that President Tinubu received the Anambra State Governor with excitement, describing him as his long standing friend of over 22 years.

Aburime said, “The President used the occasion to further congratulate Governor Soludo on his landslide victory in the just concluded Anambra gubernatorial election.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:UPDATED: INEC Declares Soludo Winner Of Anambra Guber Poll

Recall that President Tinubu had earlier issued a congratulatory message to Governor Soludo immediately the governorship election was concluded.”

Governor Soludo was declared winner with 73% of the votes cast by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Other details of the meeting were, however, not disclosed as the press Secretary told DAILY POST that both men went into a closed door meeting after the reception.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

2027: I Will Resign If Tinubu Loses In Edo – Governor Okpebholo

Published

on

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholor has vowed that President Bola Tinubu will win the 2027 presidential election in Edo State.

Okpebholor in an interview captured in a viral video vowed to resign if the outcome of the 2027 election does not favour the president in Edo State.

According to him, the entire people in Edo State are ready to vote for the president, citing projects that his (Okpebholor) administration executed since the All Progressives Congress, APC took over the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director

He claimed that there is no opposition in the state, stressing that everyone is supporting the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections.

He said, “There is no opposition here in Edo everybody is for Asiwaju in this state.

Advertisement

“Tinubu is more popular than me in Edo state. If he doesn’t win the presidential election in Edo in 2027, I will resign.”

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: El-Rufai Formally Joins ADC

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has formally joined the African Democratic Congress, ADC.

El-Rufai, a founding member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, left the party earlier this year for the Social Democratic Party, SDP.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Atiku Officially Joins ADC, Registers With Party In Adamawa

Advertisement

In his resignation letter from the SDP, dated November 26, 2025, the former governor stated that his focus is on contributing to the strengthening of a unified democratic platform that can offer a credible political alternative to the people of Nigeria.

“I wish to notify that I have resigned my membership of the Social Democratic Party, SDP, effective 26 November, 2025,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending