Connect with us

News

74-year-old Woman Robs Bank At Gunpoint After Losing Life Savings To Online Scammers

Published

on

A 74-year-old woman, Ann Mayers has been arrested and charged after she robbed a bank in Ohio at gunpoint.

Mayers, 74, who robbed an Ohio credit union last week, April 19, is a victim of an online scam who may have been trying to solve her financial problems, according to her relatives.

Advertisement

Mayers faces counts of aggravated robbery with a firearm and tampering with evidence in Friday’s robbery in Fairfield Township, north of Cincinnati.

The second charge stems from Mayers’ decision to toss her clothing out the car window while making her way home after the robbery, according to the complaint.

READ ALSO: Man Shoots Friend Dead For Taking Bite Of His Girlfriend’s Burger

Advertisement

If convicted, Mayers could face up to 15 years in prison.

She remained jailed Wednesday, April 24, on a $100,000 bond pending an initial court appearance, and court records don’t list an attorney for her.

Officers arrested Mayers at her Hamilton home shortly after the robbery, Fairfield police said in a Facebook post. A handgun was found in her car, which police allege she used in the robbery.

Advertisement

Ann Mayers allegedly told investigators with the Fairfield Township Police Department (FTPD) that she was the person who walked into the AurGroup Financial Credit Union Bank and demanded a teller turn over some of the bank’s cash while brandishing a gun, according to a copy of the complaint.

Bodycam footage taken at the time of her arrest shows that it only took Mayers a few seconds to allegedly confess, as she immediately tells the arresting officers: “I did whatever you’re here for.”

READ ALSO: VIDEO: Meet Nigerian Pastor Who Predicted World Will End April 25

Advertisement

The officers then ask Mayers to be more specific, at which time the footage shows her saying: “The robbery.”

74-year-old woman robs bank at gunpoint after losing her life savings to online scammers

According to police, Mayers walked away with $500 from her bank heist.

Advertisement

Authorities later learned that Mayers might have been a scam victim and are looking into the claims. Her relatives told detectives that she had been sending money to an unidentified individual, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.

“In that aspect, some may see her as a ‘victim,’” Sgt. Brandon McCroskey told the newspaper.

Unfortunately, Ann chose to victimize several other people in the bank by robbing it with a firearm as a remedy for her situation.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Suspect Arrested Over Murder Of British-Nigerian Man In London

If what her relatives say is true, McCroskey called Mayers’ situation “very sad and unfortunate.”

He said she reportedly spoke with family members about robbing banks in the days leading up to the holdup, but they didn’t take her comments seriously.

Advertisement

Scams against seniors have become increasingly common over the last 10 to 15 years, according to experts.

Among them are so-called grandparent scams in which callers claim to be anyone from a victim’s grandchild to a police officer and tell the victim something terrible happened and that their younger relative needs money.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

News

How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths

Published

on

By

Prominent African businessman and philanthropist, Tony Elumelu, has reflected on the defining moment of his early career when he was appointed a bank branch manager at just 27 years old.

In a post shared on his LinkedIn page on Tuesday, Elumelu recounted how his appointment at AllStates Trust Bank changed the trajectory of his life and shaped his passion for empowering young people.

Advertisement

When I was 27, I was given the opportunity of a lifetime: I became a branch manager at AllStates Trust Bank, a young bank in Nigeria.

“Banking was beginning to change the country, it was the sector to be in, ripe for transformation, ready for disruption, for democratisation.

READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Six Katsina Revenue, Bank Workers Over N1.2bn Fraud

Advertisement

At that time, few believed a 27-year-old could successfully lead a bank branch. But that opportunity changed the entire course of my life.

“It gave me confidence. It gave me a platform. Most importantly, it gave me perspective,” he wrote.

Elumelu, who is the founder of the Tony Elumelu Foundation and chairs Heirs Holdings and United Bank for Africa, noted that his journey began not with financial capital but with trust.

Advertisement

His post continued, “That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Because I know what’s possible when someone believes in you early.

“This belief is at the heart of everything we do at The Tony Elumelu Foundation. It’s why we invest in young African entrepreneurs – because someone once invested in me.

READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Bankers, Accomplices For Alleged N8.5bn Fraud

Advertisement

My journey didn’t begin with capital. It began with trust. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youth. They are ready to lead, grow and transform our continent.”

In a follow-up post on X on Friday, the business leader further highlighted three lessons from his experience as a young bank manager.

“Shared recently on my LinkedIn page how I became a bank manager at just 27. I got a lot of questions. One stood out: How could someone so young handle such responsibility?

Advertisement

“Many doubted a young man could lead a bank branch. That chance changed the entire course of my life,” he wrote.

READ ALSO:Sealing Spree: FCTA Sledge Hammer Hits FIRS Office, Bank, Fuel Station, Others

Outlining the lessons from his journey, Elumelu wrote, “Lesson 1: Age is not a barrier. If you can execute, are hungry to learn, and committed to results — you can lead at any age. Leadership is about clarity of vision and that discipline to execute.

Advertisement

“Lesson 2: The most powerful capital is trust. My journey didn’t start with money — it started with trust. Trust was the seed that propelled everything else. Give young people trust, and they will surprise you. I was trusted, I repaid that trust.”

In the third lesson, Elumelu explained why perspective matters in leadership.

He wrote, “Leadership is not about doing everything yourself. It is about empowering, setting direction, and providing clarity. The sooner you learn this, the faster you grow.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Outrage As Bank Insists Bedridden 96-year-old Woman Must Appear For ID Verification

That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Cascading luck. Catalysing opportunity.”

Elumelu said these principles continue to drive his commitment to youth empowerment through his foundation.

Advertisement

It is the reason we invest in Africa’s youths at the #TonyElumeluFDN, because someone once invested in me,” he wrote.

My story is proof that when we trust in our youths, they are ready to lead, grow, and transform our continent. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youths,” he concluded.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X

Published

on

By

Human rights lawyer, Festus Ogun, has filed a lawsuit against Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, at the Federal High Court in Lagos for allegedly violating his fundamental rights by blocking him on his verified X (formerly Twitter) account.

In the suit marked FHC/L/CS/1739/25, which was shared by Ogun on Friday via his facebook page, he said the governor’s decision to block him since 2021 was triggered by his “constructive criticisms” and “demand for accountability” over the October 2020 #EndSARS killings.

Advertisement

In 2021, I noticed that the Governor blocked me on his official X handle @jidesanwoolu owing to my constructive criticisms of his policies and demand for accountability in respect of the October 2020 #EndSARS Massacre,” Ogun wrote.

According to him, being blocked has deprived him of access to vital information.

READ ALSO:DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres

Advertisement

“Blocking me on X has prevented me from accessing public updates and receiving information about policies and governance in Lagos, which constitutes a violation of my right to receive information without interference,” he said.

In his originating summons cited by The PUNCH, the lawyer asked the court to declare the action unconstitutional, arbitrary, and discriminatory.

According to the lawsuit, Ogun said he sought “a declaration that, as a democratically-elected public office holder in Nigeria, the Respondent (@jidesanwoolu)’s blocking of the Applicant (@mrfestusogun), a citizen of Nigeria and resident of Lagos State, on X (formerly ‘Twitter’) is wrongful, unconstitutional, arbitrary and constitutes a gross.”

Advertisement

He further prayed the court to compel Sanwo-Olu to unblock him, issue a public apology, and stop targeting critics online.

READ ALSO:UK Bans Sanex Advert For Calling Black Skin ‘Problematic’, White Skin ‘Superior’

An order of perpetual injunction restraining the Respondent, his agents, privies or any other person or entity acting through or on his behalf, from further blocking the Applicant on X or any other social media platform,” the suit read.

Advertisement

Ogun, who described himself as “haunted, traumatised and emotionally disturbed,” stressed that the matter went beyond his personal grievance. “This suit is not just about me. I have filed this lawsuit in furtherance of public interest and with the hope that it sets a precedent in our digital rights jurisprudence,” he said.

The lawyer also invited the court to take guidance from a 2019 ruling in the United States.

I invited the Nigerian court to be persuaded by the decision of the US District Court in Knight First Amendment Institute v Trump where President Trump was found to be in violation of the 1st Amendment when he blocked US citizens for criticising him on Twitter,” he stated.

Advertisement

Ogun argued that intolerance to opposing views undermines democracy. “Intolerance to criticism and accountability is unconstitutional and undemocratic. Nigerian authorities continue to crack down on dissents, critics, journalists, bloggers and vocal citizens on social media using arrests, detention, surveillance, collusion with big techs and outright blocking, as weapons. That narrative must stop,” he warned.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Published

on

By

The Director-General of the National Orientation Agency, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, has urged Nigerians to pay close attention to flood early warnings issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, highlighting the increasing risk of flooding across the country.

Addressing the newsmen during a press conference to launch a nationwide enlightenment campaign held on Thursday in Dutse, the Jigawa State capital, the DG, represented by Mr. Williams Dogo, NOA’s National Director of Legal Matters at the headquarters in Abuja, emphasised that poor drainage systems and careless dumping of waste are major causes of devastating floods recently witnessed in states such as Niger, Kogi, Rivers, Anambra, and Bayelsa.

Advertisement

He praised NiMet’s early warning advisories for their “90% accuracy” and stressed the need for Nigerians to heed these warnings diligently to reduce flood impacts.

READ ALSO:NiMet Forecasts Rain, Flash Floods Nationwide

The campaign, spanning all 36 states, the Federal Capital Territory, and 774 local government areas, seeks to engage the public on government policies, flood mitigation, national security awareness, and more.

Advertisement

“We are committed to bringing the government’s programmes closer to the people through physical engagements, town halls, and media.

“Among the government initiatives spotlighted is the Presidential Flood Mitigation directive, which in 2024 allocated N3 billion per state for drainage clearance and relocation efforts to curb such disasters,” the DG’s representative said.

The DG, highlighted that the sensitisation campaign also focuses on raising awareness about government policies such as the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, social safety nets including Conditional Cash Transfer, and youth empowerment through initiatives like the National Youth Investment Fund and the Industrial Training Fund.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NiMet Forecasts Three-day Thunderstorms, Rain From Wednesday

He therefore emphasised the need for Nigerians to understand and utilise these programmes for personal and national development.

On national security, Issa-Onilu explained that the campaign aims to boost security consciousness by informing communities about current defense strategies, including the deployment of over 15,000 new security personnel, drones, and armoured vehicles to address the country’s security challenges effectively.

Advertisement

Furthermore, the DG stressed the importance of youth and student re-orientation, focusing on discouraging extreme practices that conflict with Nigeria’s core values.

Accordingly, he also underlined the campaign’s effort to promote patriotism by educating citizens on national symbols such as the flag, anthem, naira, and passport.

“NOA’s increased digital presence—including the revamped website and the AI assistant ‘CLHEEAN’—alongside partnerships with numerous media outlets, will ensure that these vital messages reach a wide audience across Nigeria,” he revealed.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NiMet Predicts Three-day Haziness, Thunderstorms From Tuesday

Mr. Williams Dogo urged Nigerians to actively participate in the campaigns and remain alert to government advisories for their safety and well-being.

Earlier, the Jigawa State Director of the National Orientation Agency, Ahmad Ibrahim, emphasised the urgent need for residents to heed flood early warnings issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, especially amid rising flood risks in the region.

Advertisement

He linked the recent flooding challenges to poor drainage and waste management, urging Jigawa communities to cooperate with government efforts to reduce flood impacts.

The director highlighted the government’s 2024 Presidential Flood Mitigation directive, which allocated N3 billion to each state for drainage clearance and relocation initiatives, underscoring its importance in Jigawa’s flood prevention strategy.

He also connected this development to ongoing nationwide campaigns aimed at raising public awareness on key government policies, national security, and disaster preparedness.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version