Headline
ACJL: CLEEN Foundation Organises Stakeholders Workshop On Parole System

In an effort to put in place a functional parole system in the Administration of Criminal Justice Laws (ACJL), in Edo State, a non-profit organisation – CLEEN Foundation, organised a two-day stakeholders workshop in Benin.
INFO DAILY reports that stakeholders were drawn from Civil Society Organisations; officials of Edo State government particularly Ministry of Justice; the police; Nigerian Bar Association (NBA); Nigerian Correctional Service (NSC) and human rights commission amongst others.
In his opening remarks, the Executive Director, CLEEN Foundation, Gad Peter, said the workshop was aimed at giving more insights into the parole system and how best to deepen and enhance the Administration of Justice.
READ ALSO: Lagos Roads, Homes Flooded After Downpour
“We want to drive advocacy for parole system and address the development that government has put in place to improve ACJS,” he said.
In the opening remarks read by Mrs. Blessing Abiri, Program Advisor, CLEEN Foundation, the Executive Director described the parole system as a critical component of the justice system.
He added that the workshop was geared towards addressing the gap in parole and ACJL.
Peter noted: “Parole reflects a balance between punitive measures and the need to rehabilitate, recognize and reform individuals that will bring positive change.
“It (Parole) is aimed at rehabilitating offenders and reintegrating them into the society as law abiding citizens.”
In his remarks, Attorney- General of Edo State who was represented by Mrs. Stella Okojie, a Director in the ministry, said Section 468 of ACJL in the state specifically made provisions for parole.
The Attorney-General disclosed that the government has acquired land for State-owned correctional centres as part of efforts geared towards deepening administration of justice.
Headline
FULL LIST: US To Review Green Cards From 19 ‘Countries Of Concern’ After Washington Shooting

The Trump administration announced on Thursday that it will review the immigration status of all permanent residents, or “Green Card” holders, from Afghanistan and 18 other countries following the attack on National Guard troops in Washington, D.C.
U.S. officials identified the suspect in Wednesday’s shooting as a 29-year-old Afghan national who previously worked alongside American forces in Afghanistan.
The individual was granted asylum earlier this year, not permanent residency, according to AfghanEvac, an organisation that assists Afghans resettled in the United States after the Taliban takeover in 2021.
“I have directed a full-scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern,” said Joseph Edlow, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), on X.
READ ALSO:FG To Unveil Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport January
The review follows a June executive order from President Trump classifying 19 countries as “of Identified Concern.”
The order banned entry for nearly all nationals from 12 countries, including Afghanistan. The full list of these countries is:
Afghanistan
Myanmar
Chad
Congo-Brazzaville
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Haiti
READ ALSO:Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea-Bissau
Iran
Libya
Somalia
Sudan
Yemen
A partial travel ban applies to seven additional countries, though some temporary work visas remain allowed: Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, and Venezuela.
Headline
Romanian Defence Minister Quits After Admitting Error In Academic Record

Romania’s defence minister resigned on Friday after saying he made a “mistake” on his CV about his university education, as controversy swirled over alleged lies on his resume.
Ionut Mosteanu – who has admitted to writing on his CV that he graduated from a university he never attended – said he did not want the row “to distract” the NATO member at a time when it and Europe are “under attack from Russia”.
Romania has repeatedly seen drone fragments fall on its soil since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, and reported a number of drone incursions.
On Tuesday, a drone crashed in eastern Romania, which borders Ukraine.
READ ALSO:Ukraine: 122,000 Nigerians, Others Protest Discrimination At Romanian, Hungarian, Polish Borders
Romania has also accused Moscow of “hybrid attacks”, including meddling in presidential elections last year that were subsequently annulled.
“Today, I resigned from my position as minister of national defence,” Mosteanu said in a Facebook post, adding he wanted the country to be focused on its “difficult mission”.
“Romania and Europe are under attack from Russia. Our national security must be defended at all costs,” he added.
Mosteanu had come under pressure after a media investigation published on Thursday revealed that he wrote in a CV that he graduated from a university which he did not actually attend.
READ ALSO:[FULL LIST] UEL Play-offs: Porto Lock Horns With Roma, Other Fixtures Announced
That same day he apologised for what he called “a mistake”.
“In a CV I quickly put together in 2016 using a template I found online, there is a mistake that I admit embarrasses me. I didn’t pay much attention to these details at the time,” he said on Facebook.
Mosteanu was appointed defence minister in June of this year, when a new pro-European government was formed after months of political turmoil.
Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan said in a press release that he would propose economy and tourism minister Radu Miruta take over the defence portfolio in the interim.
AFP
Headline
Russia Insists Ukraine Must Cede Land Or Face Continued Military Push

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that he would end his Ukraine offensive if Kyiv withdrew from territory Moscow claims at its own — otherwise his army would take it by force.
The Russian army has been slowly but steadily grinding through eastern Ukraine in costly battles against outnumbered and outgunned Ukrainian forces.
Washington has meanwhile renewed its push to end the nearly four-year war, putting forward a surprise plan that it hopes to finalise through upcoming talks with Moscow and Kyiv.
“If Ukrainian forces leave the territories they hold, then we will stop combat operations,” Putin said during a visit to Kyrgyzstan. “If they don’t, then we will achieve it by military means.”
Russia controls around one-fifth of Ukraine’s territory. The issue of occupied land, which Kyiv has said it will never cede, is among the biggest stumbling blocks in the peace process.
READ ALSO:Putin Admits Russia Caused Azerbaijani Plane Crash
Another important issue in the talks are Western security guarantees for Ukraine, which Kyiv says are needed to prevent Moscow from invading again in the future.
Washington’s original plan — drafted without input from Ukraine’s European allies — would have seen Kyiv withdraw from its eastern Donetsk region and the United States de facto recognise the Donetsk, Crimea and Lugansk regions as Russian.
The US pared back the original plan over the weekend following criticism from Kyiv and Europe, but has not yet released the new version.
Putin, who has seen the new plan, said it could be a negotiation starter.
“Overall, we agree that it could form the basis for future agreements,” he said of the latest draft, which the US is thought to have shortened to about 20 points.
READ ALSO:Russian Strikes Kill Five In Ukraine, Cause Power Outages
US negotiator Steve Witkoff was expected in Moscow next week to discuss the revised document, Putin said.
US Army Secretary Dan Driscoll is meanwhile due to visit Kyiv later this week, Ukraine’s top presidential aide Andriy Yermak said.
– ‘Little can be done’ –
In his remarks Thursday, Putin repeated the claim that Russia had encircled the Ukrainian army in Pokrovsk and Myrnograd in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region — the most fiercely embattled area and a key target for Moscow’s forces.
“Krasnoarmeysk and Dimitrov are completely surrounded,” he said, using the Russian names for the cities.
Moscow was also advancing in Vovchansk and Siversk, as well as approaching the important logistic hub of Guliaipole, he added.
The Russian offensive “is practically impossible to hold back, so there is little that can be done about it”, Putin said.
READ ALSO:Trump Urged Ukraine To Give Up Land In Peace Deal Talks — Official
Ukraine has denied Pokrovsk and Myrnograd are encircled, insisting its forces continue to hold the enemy along the front line.
Putin also questioned Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s legitimacy and said signing any agreement with him would be legally “almost impossible” at the moment, a suggestion that has drawn groans from Kyiv and its allies.
According to data analysed by AFP from the American Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Russian forces have conquered an average of 467 square kilometres (180 square miles) each month in 2025 — a step up from 2024.
Moscow launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, triggering the worst armed conflict in Europe since World War II.
The war has killed hundreds of thousands of people and forced millions to flee their homes.
Metro4 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News3 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline3 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro5 days agoBandits Claim Kebbi, Niger Abductions, Vow More Attacks On Soldiers, Politicians [VIDEO]
News3 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
Politics4 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
Metro2 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
Metro2 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
News2 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan














