Politics
Acting INEC Chair Outlines Preparations or Anambra Poll

The Independent National Electoral Commission on Tuesday held its third quarterly consultative meeting with political party leaders in Abuja, where key updates on upcoming elections and party registration were presented.
The meeting was the first chaired by INEC’s Acting Chairman, May Agbamuche-Mbu, following the exit of former Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, on October 7.
In her opening remarks, Agbamuche-Mbu acknowledged the former chairman’s tenure, stating, “Prof. Mahmoud Yakubu gracefully bowed out of office, leaving behind a legacy of innovation, institutional strength and integrity.”
She outlined the commission’s schedule of elections, including the Anambra State Governorship Election on November 8, 2025, the Federal Capital Territory Area Council Elections on February 21, 2026, the Ekiti Governorship Election on June 20, 2026, and the Osun Governorship Election on August 8, 2026.
Speaking on the Anambra election, Agbamuche-Mbu said, “The commission has completed 10 of the 13 key activities,” adding that the final activities include the publication of the notice of poll on October 25, the end of the campaign period on November 6, and the election on November 8.
READ ALSO:INEC Accredits 121 Observers For Anambra Governorship Poll
She stated that all non-sensitive materials had been delivered to the state and that voter education was ongoing.
The acting chairman said, “The commission is committed to keeping strictly to the remaining activities as detailed in the Timetable and Schedule of Activities. Political parties are therefore called upon to be mindful of the last day for campaigns and keep strictly to it.
“The commission has been working assiduously and making arrangements for the successful conduct of the Anambra State governorship election and has had several engagements with the security agencies at national, state and local government levels.
“All non-sensitive materials for the election have been delivered to the state, and voter education and sensitisation are ongoing.”
READ ALSO:Yiaga Africa, Kukah Centre, Others Demand Live Broadcast Of INEC Chair Screening
She also provided a report on the by-elections conducted on August 16 across 12 states, covering two senatorial districts, five federal constituencies, and nine state assembly constituencies, in addition to two court-ordered rerun elections in Enugu and Kano states.
“Declarations and return were made… and Certificates of Return have been presented in compliance with the provisions of the Electoral Act, 2022,” she said.
Agbamuche-Mbu confirmed that the Continuous Voter Registration, which resumed nationwide in August, will continue until August 30, 2026.
She described the response to registration efforts as encouraging and said weekly updates are published on the INEC website.
On party registration, the acting chairman said the commission received 171 requests for registration of new political parties, but only 14 associations met the requirements to proceed to the next stage. These were evaluated based on constitutional and electoral law provisions.
READ ALSO:Why I Was Absent At Council Of State Meeting – Wike
In response, the National Chairman of the Inter-Party Advisory Council, Dr. Yusuf Dantalle, welcomed Agbamuche-Mbu’s appointment, stating, “The nation will benefit from her impressive service record and wealth of experience at this moment in our democratic process.”
Dantalle said IPAC had recently submitted reform proposals to the National Assembly, including the scrapping of State Independent Electoral Commissions, transferring local government elections to INEC, reserving special seats for women, restoring public funding for political parties, and removing the President’s power to appoint INEC’s leadership.
He described the Anambra governorship election as a critical test for the commission.
“The litmus test of the new leadership is the conduct of the November 8, 2025, Anambra State governorship election.
“INEC should get its act together and get it right,” he said.
READ ALSO:Meet New INEC Chairman, Joash Amupitan
He added, “With new leadership, citizens’ expectations are high, very high. The commission should justify the confidence the nation reposed in it. This is the only way to rebuild trust in the electoral process.”
Dantalle concluded by expressing IPAC’s readiness to support the electoral process, saying, “We are all in it together to build a better, greater, inclusive, prosperous and just democratic society.”
Yakubu was first appointed as INEC Chairman by former President Muhammadu Buhari on October 21, 2015, and was confirmed by the Senate on October 28, 2015.
He became the first person to be reappointed to the position, earning a second term in November 2020—also under Buhari’s administration.
President Bola Tinubu, who assumed office in 2023, accepted Yakubu’s resignation and decorated him with the national honour of Commander of the Order of the Niger in recognition of his service.
READ ALSO:Court Declines Kachikwu’s Motion Against INEC, ADC Leaders
On Thursday, the National Council of State approved Tinubu’s nomination of Professor Joash Amupitan as the new INEC Chairman. The appointment is now subject to Senate screening and confirmation.
Until then, Agbamuche-Mbu will continue to oversee the commission’s affairs as acting chairman.
INEC had earlier confirmed that 2.8 million voters are registered to participate in the Anambra election on Saturday, November 8, 2025.
The electoral body released the final list of candidates and announced the official commencement of campaign activities.
Sixteen political parties met the submission deadline of May 12 and will field candidates in the upcoming election.
(PUNCH)
Politics
APC Members In Ikole LG Condemn Attacks On Members During Reps Primary

….Seek safer venues for remaining primaries
Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State have strongly condemned the violence, intimidation and attacks that characterised the House of Representatives Primary Election held in Ward 11, Ipao-Ekiti.
The APC members lamented that the exercise, which ought to have reflected the democratic ideals of the party, was unfortunately marred by violent attacks carried out by political thugs against party faithful perceived to be supporting a different aspirant from the one backed by the attackers.
Among those attacked were Hon. Samuel Adetiba and Mr. Ore Bamidele, the latter, who was beaten into a coma and is presently in critical condition at a private hospital in the locality where he is receiving medical attention.
Beyond the physical attacks on members, cmpaign banners belonging to the aspirant opposed by the attackers were also vandalised and destroyed during the incident.
READ ALSO:Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive
The APC members expressed disappointment that the incident was orchestrated by one of the chairmanship candidates for the Among Local Community Development Authority (LCDA), in the presence of the APC leader in the Ekamefa area, Hon. Samuel Abejide, who did nothing to stop the attacks of the party faithful.
In addition to the physical assaults, properties belonging to APC members in Ipao-Ekiti were reportedly damaged, while elderly men and women from Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti were allegedly molested, threatened and forcefully removed from voting queues simply for supporting aspirants of their choices.
Olaiya Ajibulu, who spoke on behalf of the affected party members expressed deep concern over what they described as a growing atmosphere of fear and political intolerance capable of undermining unity within the party and threatening the safety of members participating in future exercises.
Consequently, Ajibulu said that the affected APC members from the three communities appealed passionately to the leadership of the party in Ekiti State, as well as His Excellency, Governor Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji, to urgently intervene in the matter.
READ ALSO:APC Members Protest Alleged Exclusion From Oyo Reps Primaries
They also requested that subsequent APC primary elections involving the three communities be moved away from Ipao-Ekiti to a neutral and safer venue where the lives and rights of party members could be adequately protected.
“Alternatively, we appeal that Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti should be allowed to conduct their remaining primary elections at a separate venue where members can freely exercise their democratic rights without intimidation, harassment, or fear of violence.” Ajibulu reiterated.
The affected members also sympathised with all victims of the attacks and prayed for the speedy recovery of those currently receiving medical attention, particularly Mr. Ore Bamidele.
They reaffirmed their commitment to the ideals of democracy, peaceful coexistence and party unity, while urging all stakeholders to ensure that future political exercises are conducted in an atmosphere of peace, fairness and mutual respect.
News
Logistics Challenges Mars APC Reps Primaries In Abia

The House of Representatives primary elections of the All Progressive Congress, APC, in Abia State has been rocked by logistics challenges and reports of intense lobbying.
The exercise, scheduled to commence on Saturday morning, is yet to start in any part of the state as at 3:00 pm.
A visit by DAILY POST to several wards where the primary elections were supposed to hold in Umuahia showed that no party official was on duty.
READ ALSO:APC Members Protest Alleged Exclusion From Oyo Reps Primaries
At Amuzukwu Secondary School, Umuwaya Amuzukwu, Methodist Primary School at Crowther Street, Umuahia North Local Government Headquarters, no official of the APC or the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, staff was seen.
Two female police officers who were deployed to provide security in Umuwaya Amuzukwu were left in confusion as they could not meet any APC official at the centre.
Source disclosed that some of the aspirants in various constituencies in Abia State refused the offer to step down before the primares, insisting that they be allowed to test their popularity in the exercise.
READ ALSO:APC Mocks ADC Over Parallel Congresses In Ebonyi
Meanwhile, two leaders of the City Boys Movement in Abia State, Chinedu Orji and Lucky Igbokwe, who are aspiring for the Ikwuano/Umuahia Federal Constituency, have issued statements maintaining that they are firmly in the race.
Explaining the delay in the commencement of the APC primary election, Publicity Secretary of Abia State APC, Uche Aguoru, attributed the situation to logistics challenges.
Aguoru invited all House of Representatives aspirants and other party stakeholders to an “emergency mandatory meeting” to be held at APC new office by Saturday evening.
Politics
2027: Court Rebukes Plaintiff, Lawyer In Suit Against Jonathan, Awards N1m Fine

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday rebuked Johnmary Jideobi, the plaintiff, and his lawyer, Ndubuisi Ukpai, over lack of diligence to pursue the suit filed to stop former President Goodluck Jonathan from contensting in the 2027 presidential election.
Justice Peter Lifu, who described the plaintiff and his lawyer’s attitudes, which had continued to stall proceedings in the case, as “unacceptable,” awarded a N1 million fine against the plaintiff in favour of the ex-president.
“I have carefully and painstakingly considered all the submissions and prayers of the learners counsel in this matter.
“As this court has earlier ruled and ordered, this case has a character of politics.
“I have taken judicial notice of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)’s timetable.
“The duty of this court is to ensure that political cases are given accelerated hearing and disposed of expeditiously.
“In that wise, and as earlier stated, this court reiterates the provisions of the National Judicial Policy in case management.
“I hereby orders as follows:
“The plaintiff, who filed this suit in October 6, 2025, and has not deemed it fit to serve, is hereby granted grace of two hours from now, that is 10:30 am, to serve all the processes to the 2nd and 3rd defendants (INEC and AGF) unfailingly.
READ ALSO:Tinubu, Jonathan Hold Closed-door Talks Amid Regional Consultations
“The 2nd and 3rd defendants are hereby ordered to file and serve their responses, if any, before 11am on Monday, 18th of May, 2026.
“By consent of counsel, this suit is adjourned to May 18th, 2026, by 12noon for definite hearing of the originating summons and all pending applications,” Justice Lifu said.
The judge, who observed that Jideobi filed the suit since Oct. 6, 2025, expressed surprise that he had yet to serve INEC and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), the 2nd and 3rd defendants, six months after.
Besides, he observed that counsel for the ex-president (1st defendant), Chief Chris Uche, SAN, told the court on May 8 when the case came up that they got the information about the suit in the media and decided to file and serve their processes.
The judge equally observed that on May 11, neither Jideobi, who is also a lawyer, nor Ukpai was in court despite fixing the hearing time at 2pm at the instance of the plaintiff’s lawyer on May 5.
He further noted that though Uche asked for a N5 million cost, the request was not granted in the interest of fair hearing.
“No doubt, cause follows event.
“On May 11 , this court refused to grant the 1st defendant’s application for a cost of N5 million but rather, make cost in this cause.
READ ALSO:Why I, Jonathan Opposed Tambuwal’s Emergence As Speaker — Obasanjo
“Today, it is crystal clear that the plaintiff did not serve the originating summons to the 2nd and 3rd defendants since October 6, 2025.
“This case is for hearing today and the hearing has been frustrated or aborted due to the tardiness of the plaintiff who is a lawyer by training and calling.
“Hearing cannot go on now as an event.
“Consequently, I hold that punishment should lie where the fault is.
“I hereby award the cost of N1 million against the plaintiff but in favour of the 1st defendant only. I so ruled,” Justice Lifu said.
Earlier when the case was called on Friday, neither Jideobi nor Ukpai was not in court again.
However, lawyer to the former president, Uche, and AGF’s counsel, J. D. Esho, were in court.
Justice Lifu then asked the registrar to confirm from the court record if the plaintiff and INEC were served with hearing notices which she did.
The former president’s lawyer, therefore, applied that the case be dismissed with substantial cost due to the plaintiff’s continued absence in court.
READ ALSO:VIDEO: Jonathan Breaks Silence On Guinea-Bissau’s Military Takeover
Uche said the plaintiff and his lawyer did not see the reason to either write to the court or the defendants on why they would not be in court.
The senior lawyer said Jideobi and Ukpai, in their manner, had portrayed absolute disdain and disrespect to the court.
He expressed surprise that the plaintiff, who initiated the suit, dragged a former Commnder-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the country to court for nothing and abandoned the case.
Uche said despite getting the news about the case in the media, the former president filed all his processses, including a preliminary objection, and served same on the plaintiff.
“The plaintiff thinks he can hold the court and other parties to ransom, and stayback in the comfort of his house and drag all of us to court,” he said.
According to him, there must be a consequence for every action.
“They think the courts are toothless bulldog and the dignity of the court must be protected my lord,” he said.
READ ALSO:Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan
Uche, therefore, urged the court to invoke its disciplinary power on the plaintiff and dismiss the case as being an abuse of court process.
AGF’s lawyer, Esho, who told the court that her office was served with the ex-president’s response to the suit on May 11, said they were yet to be served with the originating summons of the plaintiff.
The registrar also confirmed that though INEC was served with hearing notice of today’s sitting, the commission had not also been served with the plaintiff’s processes.
Midway into the case, Ukpai entered the court and apologised for his lateness.
“My lord, I am sorry. I am for the plaintiff. Our vehicle broke down on the way,” he begged.
After taking submissions of all the lawyers, the judge adjourned the matter until May 18 for definite hearing of all pending applications and the substantive suit at 12noon.
Politics5 days agoFubara Clears Air On ‘Defection’ To NDC [VIDEO]
News4 days agoGun Battle In Oyo Forest As Police Disrupt ₦10m Ransom Collection Plot
Politics3 days agoFour Fubara Loyalists Disqualified As APC Clears 21 For Rivers Reps Primaries
News5 days agoEx-power Minister Jailed 75 Years Over Fraud
Metro4 days agoDrama As Teenagers Stage Secret Wedding With N3,000 Bride Price
Politics3 days ago2027: Court Rebukes Plaintiff, Lawyer In Suit Against Jonathan, Awards N1m Fine
News3 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Companies For Sharp Practices
Politics5 days ago2027: Daniel-Abiodun Feud Deepens Over Senatorial Ticket For Ogun East
News4 days agoPAP Sends Additional 15 Scholarship Beneficiaries For Post-Graduate Studies In UK
Sports4 days agoCAF Introduces New Laws After Chaotic AFCON Final In Morocco














