Connect with us

Metro

Amotekun Arrests 19 Suspected Kidnappers, 17 Others In Ondo

Published

on

No fewer than 36 suspected criminals have been arrested by the Ondo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun, for alleged involvement in criminal activities in some parts of the state.

Parading the suspects at the headquarters of the corps in Akure the state capital, on Wednesday, the state Commander of the Corps, Akogun Adeleye, said 19 of the suspects were specifically arrested over alleged kidnapping activities while others allegedly committed other offences such as stealing, burglary and murder among others.

Advertisement

According to him, the 19 suspected kidnappers were picked from the northern senatorial district of the state.

“You will notice that you always find members of the Amotekun Corps in every junction and every major street and this is to prevent kidnappers from entering houses to pick people.

READ ALSO: Benue Man Stabs Retired Nurse, Housemaid To Death

Advertisement

“Today again, we are parading about 36 suspects. I want to place it on record that in the last month, there were three kidnapped activities that we were able to file successfully. This means in the last one month, there have been no successful kidnapping activities in the state.

“Today, a cross-section of these criminals is different from what we normally have where we parade 20 people and 15 of them are kidnaping suspects. Today, we have more we have housebreaking and stealing suspects, and we remain resolute in our determination to flush them out of our society.

“Some of the suspected kidnappers and robbers that we were able to find were due to our intelligence report and we picked about 17 of them in a particular area in the state where we monitored.

Advertisement

“We equally have a suspected murderer, we have about eight cases of housebreaking and shops breaking.”

The commander noted that the arrest was made possible with the assistance of other security agencies in the state.

READ ALSO: Anambra Police Foil Robbery Attempt, Kill Suspect

Advertisement

I must say that with the cooperation of other state security agencies, we have been able to reduce the criminal activities in the state. The cross-section of these 36 suspects shows that their activities have dropped drastically in the state. We will still continue to ensure that people do their businesses normally and that they are not disturbed now that the state government is resolute in guaranteeing lives and property, we are also determined to ensure that,” he stressed.

He, however, appealed to the traditional rulers in the state to give the corps any useful information that could assist the Amotekun to flush out the criminals from the state.

“We want to appeal to the Olus, that once they see the connection of unknown people in the forest they should alert us immediately. I want to encourage the general public that once they see strange movement they should let the security agencies know,” he urged.

Advertisement

Metro

Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara

Published

on

Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.

The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.

Advertisement

In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.

Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.

READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide

Advertisement

It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.

The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.

Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.

Advertisement

Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.

READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap

Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.

Advertisement

Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.

As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.

However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed

On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.

The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.

Advertisement

However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.

The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute

Published

on

Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.

The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.

Advertisement

That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.

Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.

READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi

Advertisement

The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.

However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.

Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.

Advertisement

In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.

READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov

The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.

Advertisement

The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.

Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres

Published

on

The Department of State Services on Thursday filed charges at the Federal High Court, Abuja, against nine suspects allegedly linked to recent deadly attacks in Yelwata, Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, and parts of Plateau State, which left more than 40 people dead, many others injured, and hundreds displaced.

The massacres prompted a visit by President Bola Tinubu, during which he urged the people of Benue to embrace peace.

Advertisement

He also directed security agencies to fish out the perpetrators.

In a charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/453/2025, dated August 8, 2025, the DSS alleged that the suspects, arrested across ethnic and religious lines, were responsible for coordinated attacks.

According to the charge, one Haruna Adamu, Muhammad Abdullahi of Awe LGA in Nasarawa State, and others still at large, allegedly carried out attacks on the people of Abinsi and Yelwata villages on June 13, 2025.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:53 Suspects Arrested Over Benue, Plateau Wedding Killings —  IGP Egbetokun

The DSS said the offence is contrary to and punishable under Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, 2022.

Adamu and Abdullahi were further accused of conspiring with Musa Beniyon, Bako Malowa, Ibrahim Tunga, Asara Ahnadu, Legu Musa, Adamu Yale, Boddi Ayuba and Pyeure Damina, among others, to carry out the attacks.

Advertisement

The Federal Government, through the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, Muhammad Abubakar, accused the two defendants of engaging in conduct preparatory to committing terrorism.

In another charge, two other suspects, Terkende Ashuwa and Amos Alede of Guma LGA, Benue State, were arraigned on a three-count charge for allegedly carrying out reprisal attacks against terror suspects involved in the Abinsi and Yelwata incidents.

READ ALSO:Residents Flee As Gunmen Attack Benue Community

Advertisement

In the charge sheet marked FHC/ABJ/CR/448/2025, the two were accused of attending and participating in a meeting that led to acts of terrorism, including the destruction of private property and the loss of 12 cattle in Ukpam village, Benue State.

This, the DPP stated, contravenes Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, 2022.

Count two alleged that, in July 2025, at a meeting in Daudu town, Guma LGA, the suspects conspired with others still at large to commit terrorism, contrary to Section 26 of the Act.

Advertisement

Count three accused them of knowingly receiving material assistance, including locally made guns and AK-47 rifles, from one Alhaji Uba, for acts of terrorism that caused destruction of property and the loss of cattle in Ukpam, contrary to Section 13 of the Act.

READ ALSO:‘Enough Is Enough,’ 2Baba, Other Celebrities Break Silence On Benue Killings

In a separate case, a 32-year-old woman, Halima Haliru Umar of Faskari LGA, Katsina State, was arraigned on a four-count charge of terrorism. She was accused of transporting 302 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition to bandits in July 2025, an offence contrary to Section 13 of the Act.

Advertisement

She was also charged with concealing information about one Alhaji Sani, a suspected arms dealer, bandit and kidnapper. The DSS said the information could have led to his arrest and prevented acts of terrorism. This, it said, is contrary to Section 6 of the Act.

Similarly, a 75-year-old man, Nanbol Tali, and another, Timnan Manjo, were arraigned on four counts of allegedly buying and selling two locally fabricated AK-47 rifles without a licence for ₦3 million. The DSS said the offence is contrary to Section 9 of the Act and punishable under Section 27 of the Firearms Act, 2024.

They were further accused of possessing a locally fabricated AK-47 rifle in Manju LGA, Plateau State, and of buying three long-range revolvers at ₦60,000 each from one Chomo for resale to bandits.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Over 200 Killed In Yelewata Massacre As Survivors Grapple With Fear, Loss, And Trauma

Also charged was one Danjuma Antu of Jos North LGA, Plateau State, on a five-count charge of unlawful possession of two locally fabricated pistols capable of discharging 9mm calibre ammunition. The DSS said this contravenes Section 3 of the Firearms Act, 2024, and is punishable under Section 27.

In another case, the DSS filed a six-count charge against one Silas Iduh Oloche of Agatu LGA, Benue State, for unlawful possession of 18 firearms, including grenades, without a licence, contrary to Section 3 of the Firearms Act and punishable under Section 27.

Advertisement

Oloche was also alleged to have been found in possession of 683 live rounds of 7.62mm ammunition on August 2, 2025, contrary to Section 8 of the Firearms Act.

No date has been fixed for trial yet.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending