Connect with us

Politics

Anambra Poll: Soludo, Uba, Ozigbo Call For Dialogue With IPOB

Published

on

Three candidates in the Anambra governorship election slated for November 6 have called for dialogue with the Indigenous People of Biafra, a group agitating for the secession of the South-East from Nigeria.

This was during a Live Debate organised by Arise News on Monday which had in attendance the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Senator Andy Uba; that of the ruling All Progressives Grand Alliance, Professor Charles Soludo and Valentine Ozigbo of the Peoples Democratic Party.

Advertisement

The agitation by IPOB currently threatens the November 6 election as the group has declared a one-week sit-at-home in the South-East to demand the release of its leader, Nnamdi Kanu.

The one-week sit-at-home, a similar order which the people of the South-East have been observing every Monday, will commence November 5, which is just a day to the Anambra governorship election.

READ ALSO: [BREAKING] Anambra Poll: APGA Candidate Sacked By Court For Soludo Joins APC

Advertisement

Asked to speak on IPOB and their agitation, Uba said, “I believe in engagement. If you don’t engage them, how will you know what their problem is? I believe in engagement to dialogue, because their problem is work.”

Soludo, a former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, said the group deserves to be heard.

According to him, “I’m on record to have said that IPOB deserves to be heard, that the agitation cannot be shot down by a gun.”

Advertisement

He continued, “We need to have a dialogue, bring everybody to the table and discuss those specific issues that are their agitation.”

On his part, Ozigbo blamed the federal and state governments for the way the group’s agitation has turned out.

He said, “There are certain things IPOB does through agitation that I support. But when they get to some extreme, I condemn them.

Advertisement

“The real issue is where is the heart of all of this? If not for the way the states and the federal government have handled IPOB, we wouldn’t be where we are today.

“Let’s start by accepting responsibility. We created extremism, so we need the right person to inspire hope for that dialogue to happen.

“When they see you as the problem already, you can’t be the one to negotiate.”

Advertisement

He went on to call for the release of IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu and for the group to be de-proscribed by government.

On insecurity in Anambra, Soludo said it “is politically motivated”.

“There are some people who think that they gain a political advantage by creating a sense of fear and insecurity so that they will have voters suppression,” he said.

Advertisement

On voter apathy that threatens the coming election, Uba said such had always been the case when it comes to elections in Anambra.

He, however, blamed the state governor, Willie Obiano, for the way he has handled the situation so far.

He said, “In this case, the governor has not done what he’s supposed to do.

Advertisement

“In 2007 when I ran for governor of Anambra State, I engaged the MASSOB group that was involved. I went to visit the leader Ralph Uwazuruike in prison and talked to him about their stance against election in Anambra.

“I said let’s sit down and talk about it, and at the end we got it ironed out and there was election without violence.”

He said Governor Obiano and his APGA-led administration ought to engage those threatening the coming election to know what the problem is.

Advertisement

“The problem is unemployment, and that is why the violence is what it is today,” he said, promising to solve the problem if voted into power.

In his rebuttal to what Uba said about his party and the sitting governor, Soludo said the Senator only engages when he wants to contest in an election, adding that as soon the election is over, his voice is never heard again.

“I am the one who has engaged in and out of season,” he said.

Advertisement

“You were in the Senate for eight years, not one word about IPOB and its agitation. You were only engaging when you want to run.

“Insecurity in Anambra started with the PDP government – orchestrated by my brother on my right hand(Uba) – kidnapping a sitting governor.

“The PDP legacy in Anambra burnt down the state. The violence, kidnapping and others were started by the PDP when Uba was at the engine room stoking up the fire.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: IPOB ESN Fighters who Killed DSS Officers In Anambra, Killed

On his own part, Ozigbo blamed the APC and APGA, saying they have failed Nigerians in terms of security, adding that it’s time to go back to the security format of former governor of the state, Peter Obi who decamped from APGA to his party, the PDP.

He said, “About security, there is a lot we can do. We should go back to where Peter Obi left it – providing monthly money and vehicles to the vigilantes and making sure that they are well empowered.”

Advertisement

He said a thriving economy will be one of the measures needed to help tackle the insecurity in the state.

“When people are gainfully employed and busy, they will not transcend into criminality,” he said.

(PUNCH)

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Politics

Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH

Published

on

Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the approval of ₦2.5 billion to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital by Governor Monday Okpebholo.

The Governor announced the approval on Tuesday when the new Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Idia Ize-Iyamu, paid a courtesy visit to him in Government House, Benin.

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu had requested the state government’s assistance in constructing a world-class Paediatric Centre worth N2.5 billion which the governor approved.

However, the PDP, in a statement by its Caretaker Committee Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikhare said the governor should have invested the money on state-owned hospitals instead of a federal institution.

READ ALSO:He Could Barely Garner 300,000 Votes, Yet Promising Tinubu 2.5m Votes, PDP Mocks Okpehbolo

Advertisement

The statement statement partly reads, “This misadventure is not only reckless but a glaring example of the 2027 election fixation and desperate eye-service politics that has defined Okpebholo’s almost one year in office.

“Edo people are being made to suffer while their resources are squandered on federal facilities that are not the primary responsibility of the state.

“We align with the position of the Association of Resident Doctors under Edo State Government Employment, who have openly decried this misplaced priority. Their statement exposes what Edo people already know, our hospitals are collapsing, yet the Governor prefers to chase cheap popularity.”

Advertisement

The PDP said that Stella Obasanjo Hospital, which was rebuilt with state funds, remained locked with less than a tenth in use, wondering why the ₦2.5 billion was not channelled there.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Okpehbolo Suspends His Special Adviser On Oil And Gas

The statement added, “The Edo Specialist Hospital continues to cry for expansion and adequate support but has been ignored by a government obsessed with pleasing political benefactors and seeking headlines.

Advertisement

“The General Hospital in Abudu is no more than a mere patent medicine store, and yet, ‘₦2.5 billion that belongs to Odogwu is being given to Caesar.”

The PDP also noted that Edo doctors, who only recently suspended their strike, still have their legitimate demands unmet.

Edo people obviously did not elect a Governor to act as a philanthropist to federal institutions. They elected a leader to fix our hospitals, build capacity, and ensure access to healthcare for all. By neglecting this sacred duty, Okpebholo has shown that he is unprepared, unserious, and out of touch with the realities of Edo citizens.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Edo Govt Demolishes Building Owned by Suspected Cultist

We in the PDP demand that this decision be reversed and that urgent attention be given to Edo-owned hospitals which directly serve our people. Edo deserves working hospitals, not political monuments built with eyes on the 2027 elections.

“This is not leadership. This is a reckless waste. And Edo people will not forget,” the statement added.

Advertisement

Efforts to get the government’s response proved futile, as a top official, who pleaded anonymity, said that a response will come on Thursday.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party’s 102nd National Executive Committee meeting has resolved to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South while retaining the existing National Working Committee zoning formula for the November elective convention.

Addressing journalists after the NEC meeting in Abuja on Monday, the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, disclosed that the decision followed the presentation of a report by the Zoning Committee chaired by Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri.

Advertisement

Recall that during the 2023 elections, the PDP threw its presidential ticket open, leading to the emergence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as its candidate.

However, some southern leaders, led by then Rivers State Governor and now FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, opposed him over what they saw as an unfair power-sharing arrangement for the South.

READ ALSO:Prove You Are Not Terrorist Organisations, Falana Challenges APC, PDP

Advertisement

In the end, the PDP candidate lost to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress.

After declaring the zoning arrangement, Ologunagba added that the NEC also expressed satisfaction over the level of preparedness of the PDP’s various organs, Chapters and structures for the 2025 Elective National Convention scheduled for Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital on Saturday 15th to Sunday 16th November 2025.

Ologunagba, while reading the 102nd NEC communiqué, said the meeting commended the efforts of PDP governors, Board of Trustees, NWC, National Assembly caucus, and other party organs toward the success of the 2025 National Convention.

Advertisement

The communique read in part, “NEC received and after extensive deliberation approved the report of the National Convention Zoning Committee which recommended that all PDP National Office positions currently in the Northern Region of the country remain in the Northern Region.

READ ALSO:Anenih’s Son Dumps PDP, Gives Reason

That all PDP National Office positions currently in the Southern Region of the country remain in the Southern Region.

Advertisement

“That having retained the position of the National Chairman in the Northern Region of the country, the Presidential Candidate of the Party for the 2027 General Election is hereby zoned to the Southern Region.

“That the Regions should immediately micro-zone positions within its Region for implementation.

“NEC also received an update from the PDP Constitution Amendment Committee and directed the Committee to circulate the Draft Constitution Amendment to various Organs and Chapters of the Party for further inputs.”

Advertisement

Ologunagba said NEC confirmed Umar Damagum as substantive National Chairman, effective Monday, August 25, 2025, in recognition of his role in stabilising the party, pending the National Convention.

READ ALSO:PDP Announces National Convention Zoning Committee Inauguration Date

He continued, “NEC condemns the resort by the All Progressives Congress (APC) to State Capture through state-backed intimidation, manipulation, inducement, coercion and violence against Nigerians as witnessed in APC’s muzzling of the recent bye-elections in parts of the country.

Advertisement

“NEC particularly expressed dismay and condemned the militarisation of the recent bye-elections especially in Kaduna and Taraba States as well as Zamfara State where excessive security agencies were deployed in the conduct of the run-off election in only five Polling Units in Kaura Namoda South State Constituency.

“NEC declares that this action by the APC is a confirmation of the APC’s desire to turn our country into a totalitarian One-Party State which is a clear and present danger to democracy and the corporate existence of our country.

“NEC reassures Nigerians of PDP’s commitment to Democracy and the defense of the interest and well-being of all citizens as we work hard to further reposition our Party to regain power in 2027.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Politics

Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman

Published

on

The Edo State Chairman
of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Jarret Tenebe, has explained why his party did not boycott the 2023 local government council election in the state despite intimidation and obvious efforts to compromise the exercise by the then government.

He said the party allowed its candidates to contest the local government election in order to gather momentum for the governorship election which was some months away as at then.

Advertisement

Tenebe spoke on Monday when he received the chairmanship candidates of the APC in that election at the party secretariat, Benin City, where he assured them that their labour would not be in vain.

He commended them for their determination, confidence and belief in the party despite being in an opposition at that time contesting against an incumbent government led by former governor Godwin Obaseki.

READ ALSO: Why Peter Obi Must Get Security Clearance Before Coming To Edo — APC Chair, Tenebe

Advertisement

Tenebe said “People never believed that APC should contest that election but I believed that we should enable us to gather momentum for the governorship election which was coming then.

“Consultations began with party leaders and we all later agreed that the party should contest that election which was keenly contested.

“The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) under Godwin Obaseki wrote the results of that election.

Advertisement

“You people did your best in the election and campaigned vigorously for senator Monday Okpebholo to win the governorship election in the state.

READ ALSO:Opposition Will Collapse In Edo Before 2027, Says Okpebholo

“You work hard to ensure APC win the governorship election as that is the only way your stolen mandate will be returned.

Advertisement

“The party will stand with you and not allow your labour to be in vain. The party will not allow you to work alone as the party will work with you. The governor is very much aware of your support”.

Speaking on behalf of the candidates, Enahoro Aikpokpo said they contested at a very difficult time to keep the party alive despite the intimidation and challenges they faced.

He called on the party to consider them and give them the right of first refusal as they are interested in the forthcoming local government election in the states.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending