Connect with us

Politics

APC Primary: Court Decides Jonathan’s Fate Today, Ex-President Gets Waiver

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, will on Friday (today) rule on the eligibility of former President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the presidential election even as The PUNCH learnt on Thursday that the Presidency cabal led by the President’s influential nephew, Mamman Daura, had thrown its weight behind Jonathan.

This is coming at a time the All Progressives Congress granted the former President waiver to contest.

Advertisement

Speaking with one of our correspondents on Thursday evening, one of Jonathan’s aides said, “The road is now fully clear, we give God the glory.”

Another source, in a message sent to our reporter noted, “GEJ has finally been given the waiver, he will contest on Sunday.”

In an origination summons filed by Andy Solomon and Idibiye Abraham, the plaintiffs are seeking an order of the court stating that Jonathan is not affected by the fourth alteration to the constitution barring Vice-Presidents who succeed their principals from serving more than one full term.

Advertisement

In the suit marked FHC/YNG/CS/86/2022 which is before Justice Isa Dashen, the All Progressives Congress, Jonathan and the Independent National Electoral Commission are listed as defendants.

READ ALSO: Jonathan Submits APC Forms Today, Emefiele Shuns Resignation Calls

Apparently in a haste to ensure that judgment is delivered before the APC primary which is slated for Sunday, the plaintiffs requested an accelerated hearing via a motion ex parte.

Advertisement

The court granted an accelerated hearing of the suit “having regard to the nature of the suit and the reliefs sought therein.”

The court also directed the respondents to be served with the enrolment order alongside the originating summons and the defendants to file their responses.

It was learnt that after affidavits, counter-affidavits and further affidavits had been filed, Justice Dashen fixed May 27 for judgment.

Advertisement

Jonathan, who was elected as Vice-President alongside the late President Umaru Yar’Adua in 2007, was inaugurated as President in 2010 following the death of Yar’Adua. In 2011, he ran for election and was again inaugurated.

In 2015, while running for another term, the courts ruled that Jonathan was eligible to contest as his first inauguration was done to complete Yar’Adua’s tenure.

However, in 2018, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), signed the fourth alteration of the 1999 Constitution which bars Vice-Presidents who succeed their principals from serving more than one full term.

Advertisement

However, some have argued that the new provision ought not to apply to Jonathan as the law ought not to take a retroactive effect unless it was expressly stated.

Meanwhile, it was learnt on Thursday that the Presidency cabal led by Daura, the President’s influential nephew, is supporting Jonathan to succeed Buhari.

Daura had visited Jonathan’s Abuja home on Wednesday and the two were seen shaking hands in a photo posted by Sahara Reporters.

Advertisement

Sources, however, told The PUNCH that Jonathan had given the condition that he would only join the race if he was endorsed by the President supported through a consensus.

READ ALSO: 2023: Confusion In APC As Goodluck Jonathan Struggles To Enter Through Back Door

The PUNCH had quoted sources within the APC saying that the National Chairman of the APC, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, had visited Jonathan twice in the last one week.

Advertisement

A Fulani group had purchased the N100m Presidential form of the APC for the ex-President. Jonathan had expressed his disapproval over the purchase of the form but he had continued to court the APC.

The PUNCH learnt that should the court give Jonathan the go-ahead to contest coupled with the support he is receiving from the President’s men, Jonathan may be taking part in the Presidential primary of the APC slated for May 30.

It remained unclear as of press time if Jonathan was a member of the APC. However, Section 31.3 of the new APC constitution titled ‘waiver’, reads in part, “Subject to the approval of the National Executive Committee, the National Working Committee may, in special circumstances, grant a waiver to a person seeking a national party office, who is otherwise not qualified under this constitution if, in its opinion, such a waiver is in the best interest of the party.”

Advertisement

Should he be allowed to contest, the former President will be expected to go up against 25 other aspirants including APC stalwart, Bola Tinubu; the immediate past Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi; Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; Governor Dave Umahi, Governor Ben Ayade, Senate President Ahmad Lawan; Governor Badaru Abubakar, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, Senator Ajayi Boroffice and several others.

As of Thursday evening it remained unclear if the President had bought into the Jonathan idea as he had failed to reveal his preferred candidate to the governors.

The party had also failed to hold its Presidential screening four days to the primary.

Advertisement

Right now, only Buhari and the APC chairman (Adamu) really know what is going on. We are all confused,” said one of the APC Presidential aspirants who asked not to be named.

When contacted, the founder, Tinubu Support Group, Mr. James Faleke, said he was confident of Tinubu’s victory provided that the primary is conducted in a free and fair manner.

Faleke said a fair primary would be a condition for people not to defect. He added that those supporting Jonathan and visiting him were free to do so.

Advertisement

“For us we are still very confident of victory in a free and fair election whether Jonathan is brought in or not, we are confident. It is the right of Jonathan to join our party and to contest. As to whether the party will go back and praise Jonathan is another ball game. We are not afraid. We have our capacity. Let the process be free and fair and fair. That is the only thing that can make this party great.

“What we expect is for our party to follow the Electoral Act. It is their personal right of those visiting him to do,” said Faleke.

In a chat with The PUNCH, political analyst and Convener, Deji Adeyanju, said bringing Jonathan on board was a good strategy for the North to quickly return to power since the former President cannot spend more than a term.

Advertisement

Adeyanju, however, said it was morally wrong for the APC to attempt to sell Jonathan to Nigerians after demonising him for many years. He, therefore, advised the former President to ignore those wooing him.

READ ALSO:2023: Buhari’s Aide Confirms Jonathan Now APC Member

“It is a good strategy by the North to give the South power for one term. It makes sense politically. However, I believe it is the turn of the South-East in the interest of equity. Constitutionally, Jonathan can still contest. No law should have retroactive effect because it is against the ethics of law

Advertisement

“I believe Jonathan should ignore these people. It is not worth it. What has he forgotten at the Villa? These are the people that campaigned against him. How will APC sell Jonathan to Nigerians?” he asked.

PUNCH.

Advertisement

Politics

FULL LIST: APC Sweeps Rivers Elections, Wins 20 Of 23 LGAs

Published

on

By

The All Progressives Congress has emerged victorious in a landslide victory in the Saturday Rivers State local government elections, securing 20 out of the 23 LGAs.

According to The PUNCH, the Chairman, Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, Dr Michael Odey, announced the results at the commission’s Headquarters along Aba Road in Port Harcourt on Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement

According to Odey, the Peoples Democratic Party managed to clinch the remaining three LGAs.

The full list of chairpersons-elect is as follows:

READ ALSO:Group Fumes As Rivers CJ Inaugurates LG Poll Tribunal

Advertisement

1. Abua/Odual: Ofori Owolabi (APC)

2. Ahoada East: Solomon Achoma (APC)

3. Ahoada West: Eugene Epelle (APC)

Advertisement

4. Akuku Toru: Bob Fubara (APC)

5. Andoni: Lucky Promise (APC)

6. Asari Toru: George Onegiyeofori (APC)

Advertisement

7. Bonny: Abinye Blessing Pepple (APC)

8. Degema: Michael John Williams (APC)

9. Eleme: Obarilomate Ollor (APC)

Advertisement

10. Emohua: Chidi Loyd (APC)

11. Etche: Njoku Boniface (APC)

12. Gokana: Dekor Confidence (APC)

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date

13. Ikwerre: Charles Wobodo (APC)

14. Khana: Bariere Thomas (APC)

Advertisement

15. Obio/Akpor: Gift Worlu (PDP)

16. Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni: Shedrach Ogbogu (PDP)

17. Ogu/Bolo: Vincent Nemioboka (APC)

Advertisement

18. Okrika: Akuro Tobin (APC)

19. Omuma: Obasi Uchechwuku (APC)

20. Opobo/Nkoro: James A. James (APC)

Advertisement

21. Oyigbo: Okechukwu Akara (APC)

22. PHALGA: Allwell Ihunda (PDP)

23. Tai: Mbakpone Okpe (APC)

Advertisement

The RSIEC Chairman also disclosed that certificates of return will be presented to the winners on Monday, September 1.

This election marks the first time the APC has gained such dominance in Rivers State since the return of democracy in 1999.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Keyamo Warns PDP Against Fielding Jonathan, Obi In 2027

Published

on

By

The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has warned that the Peoples Democratic Party risks serious setbacks in its 2027 presidential strategy if it opts for former President Goodluck Jonathan or ex-Anambra governor Peter Obi as its standard-bearer.

In a long post on his X account on Sunday, Keyamo said the opposition party remains in a “non-enviable position” after failing to zone its 2023 ticket to the South, a decision he said cost the PDP support in its traditional strongholds in the South-South and South-East.

Advertisement

Keyamo argued that nominating Jonathan carries a constitutional danger tied to section 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which he suggested could bar anyone sworn in twice as president from contesting again.

“If he is fielded, the Party runs the RISK of NOT HAVING A CANDIDATE AT ALL,” Keyamo wrote, warning that such a legal challenge would ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court.

READ ALSO:APC Mocks Jonathan As ADC Woos Him For 2027 Race

Advertisement

The constitutional amendment was made AFTER the court judgment which cleared him (Jonathan) to run in 2015, so nothing is decided yet on that new amendment, hence I use the word ‘RISK’ advisedly. All the arguments as to whether the section can be interpreted to affect him will not be decided on Social Media, but at the Supreme Court.

“If he is barred from running AFTER nominations have closed and the PDP is declared as having no candidate, nobody should scream ‘judiciary is corrupt’ because such a large party saw the judicial danger ahead and deliberately ignored it.”

He added that the party would bear responsibility if it ignored the legal risk and lost its candidacy after nominations closed.

Advertisement

“All the arguments … will not be decided on social media, but at the Supreme Court,” he said.

Keyamo also dismissed the likelihood of a successful South-West flagbearer for the PDP.

READ ALSO:Jonathan, Obi Can’t Match APC’s Strength For 2027 – Mustapha Salihu

Advertisement

If the PDP decides to field its most attractive S/West candidate, no other region of the country will vote for a fresh Yoruba candidate who would be eligible for a fresh two terms in office.

“And that candidate will battle with the well-oiled APC structures in the S/West. You need a majority of at least 3 to 4 regions in Nigeria to win the Presidency.”

On Peter Obi, the minister said bringing the former Labour Party candidate into the PDP fold would not solve the party’s problems.

Advertisement

He suggested doubts about Obi’s credibility, plus his past one-term pledge, could dilute support among his core followers.

READ ALSO:Stolen Jewellery: Patience Jonathan Ex-aides’ Lawyer Laments As Adjournment Hits 42

“The principled ones amongst the ‘obidients’ will see him as going back to his vomit … and may not be too vociferous in their support anymore,” Keyamo wrote.

Advertisement

Concluding his assessment, the minister blamed the PDP’s current predicament on what he called its “original sin” of not zoning the 2023 ticket to the South.

The young social media warriors may lampoon anyone talking about these zoning sentiments, but that is the REALITY of our politics,” he said, adding that unless “something EXTRAORDINARY happens, the Party may have to wait till 2031.”

The PDP has not publicly responded to Keyamo’s comments.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-Tinubu Campaign Coordinator Resigns From APC

Published

on

By

The former Tinubu/Shettima 2023 Presidential Campaign Coordinator in Zamfara State, Senator Kabiru Marafa has confirmed his resignation from the All Progressives Congress.

Marafa, who confirmed his registration to Channels Television via text message on Sunday, left the ruling party after a meeting with his political structure last Wednesday and Thursday.

Advertisement

In a communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, the leaders of the group unanimously resolved to dump the APC over what they described as injustice, neglect, and worsening insecurity in Zamfara State.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Signs Direct Flight, Other Agreements With Brazil

They expressed grave concern over the deteriorating security situation, citing recent statistics that placed Zamfara as the state with the highest number of kidnapping cases in the country.

Advertisement

The group also accused the Federal Government of politicising insecurity during the recent Kaura Namoda bye-election, alleging that security forces were deployed to secure the APC’s electoral victory rather than protect lives.

The entire structure with all its supporters hereby formally resigns from the All Progressives Congress in protest against the sustained injustice, mistrust, marginalisation, and deliberate neglect of Zamfara State and its people. We shall, in due course, announce our next political direction, guided by the collective interest of the good people of Zamfara State,” the communiqué, issued on Friday, partly read.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Subsidises Kidney Dialysis Cost By 76% In Federal Hospitals

Advertisement

On political appointments, Marafa’s loyalists faulted what they termed the deliberate marginalisation of Zamfara, despite the state’s contribution to the APC’s 2023 presidential victory.

They noted that while other states in the North-West secured multiple ministerial slots, Zamfara got only one, and communities devastated by banditry attacks have received little or no federal intervention.

The statement, signed by Comrade Bashir Muhammad Mafara (Chairman) and Dr. Mannir Bature Tsafe (Secretary), added that the group will soon announce its next political direction in line with the aspirations of the Zamfara people.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version