Sports
Aston Villa Sack Gerrard After Fulham Defeat

Steven Gerrard was sacked as Aston Villa manager less than two hours after his struggling side crashed to a dismal 3-0 defeat at Fulham on Thursday.
Gerrard paid the price for Villa’s wretched start to the season, which sees the club languishing just one place above the Premier League relegation zone.
Villa have won only two of their 11 league matches this term and their tame surrender at Craven Cottage proved the final straw for the club’s hierarchy as they axed Gerrard after just 11 months in charge.
Gerrard and his players had been booed off at full-time by Villa’s furious fans after the loss at Fulham extended their winless run to four matches.
“Aston Villa Football Club can confirm that head coach Steven Gerrard has left the club with immediate effect,” a statement said.
“We would like to thank Steven for his hard work and commitment and wish him well for the future.”
Gerrard led Villa to a 14th-place finish last term after arriving from Rangers to replace the sacked Dean Smith last November on a three-and-a-half year contract.
The former Liverpool and England star was expected to push Villa higher up the table this season, but instead he leaves with the club firmly embroiled in a relegation battle.
Gerrard won the Scottish title with Rangers in 2021, ending Celtic’s long period of dominance.
But he has been unable to build on that impressive work since moving to Villa Park, failing to win over the club’s supporters with some lacklustre performances.
– Villa eye top Gerrard successor –
Despite being given significant transfer backing, including a swoop for Barcelona’s Brazilian playmaker Philippe Coutinho, Gerrard was unable to deliver the “continuous improvement” that Villa chief executive Christian Purslow demanded.
Gerrard was also hit by injuries to summer signings Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara, as well as left-back Lucas Digne.
Speaking at his post-match press conference after the Fulham game, Gerrard had vowed to save his job.
“I’m a fighter, I will never, ever quit anything whether it’s football or in life. We will see what happens. I’ll continued to fight unless I’m told differently,” he said.
But just minutes after Gerrard had spoken to the media, Villa announced his sacking.
Gerrard won just 13 of his 40 games in charge of Villa, losing 19 of those matches.
It is a major blow to Gerrard’s managerial career after the Liverpool legend was tipped as a potential long-term successor to current Reds boss Jurgen Klopp following his success with Rangers.
Now Gerrard must bide his time as he waits for an opportunity to rehabilitate a reputation tarnished by his disappointing spell with Villa.
Villa, owned by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, are reportedly prepared to pay one of the highest salaries in the Premier League to land a top replacement for Gerrard.
Former Paris Saint-Germain and Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with the post, along with ex-Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.
Whether Pochettino or Tuchel could be persuaded to join a club in Villa’s perilous position remains to be seen.
Other contenders could include Villarreal coach Unai Emery, who had Premier League experience with Arsenal, and former Burnley boss Sean Dyche, a veteran of numerous relegation battles with the Clarets.
Villa midfielder John McGinn insisted Gerrard wasn’t to blame for the team’s plight.
“It’s embarrassing to be part of. We’ve let the travelling fans down and let the manager down,” McGinn said.
“It doesn’t matter who is in charge of that team. It’s nothing to do with the manager – the players have to look at themselves in the mirror.
“The support are very demanding. You’re playing at a top level and if you’re not performing, you get criticised.”
AFP
Sports
UK Unveils Record-breaking Bid For 2035 Women’s World Cup

UK football chiefs on Friday unveiled details of their unopposed joint bid to host the Women’s World Cup in 2035, with 22 proposed stadiums listed in the official submission.
The bid team said the 48-nation finals would be the biggest single-sport event ever staged in the UK.
It would be the first World Cup played on British soil since the men’s finals in 1966, which were solely hosted by England.
“With 63 million people living within two hours of a proposed venue, it would be the most accessible tournament ever,” the bid team said in a statement.
READ ALSO:NFF In Fresh N1.4b FIFA Women World Cup Scandal
Sixteen of the stadiums on the shortlist are in England, including Manchester United’s proposed new 100,000-seater arena, with three in Wales, two in Scotland, and one in Northern Ireland, across 15 cities.
The final number of stadiums is expected to be whittled down to around 16.
A measure of the size of the event is that at the Qatar men’s World Cup in 2022, just eight stadiums were used.
FIFA confirmed later on Friday that the UK bid would be formally ratified at next year’s congress in Vancouver.
READ ALSO:FIFA U-20 World Cup: Top Scorers Ahead Of Final [Full List]
The April gathering of football’s global governing body is also set to approve the joint candidature of the United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Jamaica to stage the 2031 women’s World Cup.
“Hosting the FIFA Women’s World Cup would be a huge privilege for our four home nations,” the chief executives of the UK football associations said on Friday.
“If we are successful, the 2035 tournament will be the biggest single-sport event held on UK soil with 4.5 million tickets available for fans.
“We are proud of the growth that we’ve driven in recent years across the women’s and girls’ game, but there is still so much more growth to come, and this event will play a key role in helping us deliver that.”
READ ALSO:FIFA U-20 World Cup: Argentina Crush Nigeria 4-0
Manchester United’s existing Old Trafford stadium has been included, but the bid team intend to put the club’s proposed new ground forward for consideration by FIFA once plans are confirmed.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said that the bid showed the UK’s passion for football.
“The (England) Lionesses’ success has inspired girls across our country, and we’ll build on that momentum by welcoming millions of football fans from around the world to a tournament that will benefit communities and businesses in host cities up and down the UK,” he said.
England’s women’s team have won the past two European Championships and reached the final of the 2023 World Cup.
From 2031, the Women’s World Cup will be contested between 48 teams, up from 32.
The next Women’s World Cup will take place in Brazil in 2027.
Sports
NFF In Fresh N1.4b FIFA Women World Cup Scandal

Former Super Falcons head coach, Randy Waldrum, has questioned the Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) management of the monies that the world football governing body, FIFA, gave the federation for the team’s preparation for the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, reports allnigeriasoccer.com.
Waldrum’s team was eliminated from the championship in the second round by England through a penalty shootout. But the American alleged in a viral video on X that his team was handicapped by the NFF’s failure to make available the fund needed to properly prepare the side for the championship.
He alleged that the NFF received $960,000 from FIFA in October 2022 to support the Super Falcons’ preparations for the tournament.
He said: “I have a real close contact here in the US that is very connected with some of the board at FIFA. This person told me that in October, every country was given $960k from FIFA to prepare for the World, where is that money.
READ ALSO:SWAN Orders Nationwide Boycott Of NFF Activities
“If Nigeria got that money why didn’t we have a camp in November? We went to Japan, we flew in and played the game and went home. Some of our players didn’t arrive until the morning before the game, I think five players who were going to start for me, arrived the night before the game and the game was 4:00pm and they traveled 16 hours on the plane. And we played Japan and then we went home. We wasted the last five days of that window to train.”
Waldrum, who affirmed that FIFA provides financial support to federations that are unable to afford business-class travel, with deductions made from their World Cup earnings.
According to him, the NFF had no justification for suboptimal logistics. “So, all these questions I have is where is this money? And the other thing I found out through my FIFA connections is that if countries don’t have the money to buy business class tickets for everybody, FIFA will fund the money and buy those tickets and just deduct it from the monies you get from FIFA after the World Cup.
“So there’s no excuse to say we didn’t have money to buy tickets and then we didn’t have camps. These are the kinds of things that the people of Nigeria don’t question. In the US, they would be questioned. If the US Soccer Federation was doing the same things, the US Soccer Federation would have to answer to it.”
READ ALSO:JUST-IN: NFF Pulls Out Super Eagles From AFCON Qualifier After Libya Airport Nightmare
The coach also faulted the NFF for failing to maximise FIFA-approved staffing provisions, noting that while FIFA allows up to 22 technical staff members, Nigeria travelled with only about 11.
“So if FIFA will pay bonuses for up to 22 people, why didn’t we have 22 people? I didn’t have an analyst and I scout. Listen, the US has a scout in Europe, watching teams play in these exhibitions, in case they face them at the World Cup,” he explained.
“We didn’t even have scouts going with us to Australia. I didn’t even have anybody to scout games. If we got out of our group, I didn’t even have anybody to scout games in other groups. Everything I had to do was on videos and what I could pick up online.”
Sports
EPL: Berbatov Names Team That Can ‘Surprise’ Arsenal In Title Race

Former Manchester United striker, Dimitar Berbatov, has named the team that could “surprise” Arsenal in the Premier League title race.
The Gunners are now six points clear of second-placed Chelsea, thanks to their 4-1 demolition of Tottenham on Sunday.
Mikel Arteta’s men could extend that lead to nine points, when they travel to face the Blues this weekend.
READ ALSO:EPL: Why Arsenal Could Win The Title This Season – Guardiola
Berbatov has now said he expects Arsenal to be “really tested” over the hectic festive period and says their title credentials will become clearer in the New Year.
“Of course Liverpool are low in the table and Man City are dropping points, but there are other teams like Chelsea who can surprise people,” Berbatov told ESPN.
“Six points is a good cushion but in the Premier League it’s nothing and can go very quickly.”
Metro4 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News5 days agoBREAKING: South-West Governors Hold Security Meeting In Ibadan
News5 days agoArmy Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course
News5 days agoJimmy Cliff, Jamaican Reggae Legend, Cultural Icon, Is Dead
News3 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
Politics5 days agoJUST IN: Atiku Officially Joins ADC, Registers With Party In Adamawa
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline3 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro5 days agoBandits Claim Kebbi, Niger Abductions, Vow More Attacks On Soldiers, Politicians [VIDEO]
News3 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France















