Connect with us

Metro

Bank Fraud: Court Orders Forfeiture Of Cash, Properties

Published

on

Justice Daniel Osiagor of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Friday, ordered the final forfeiture of two properties, several cars and cash to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

According to a statement posted on the official X account of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Friday, the Judge gave the order, following a motion on notice filed by the Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the EFCC, through its lawyer, H. U. Kofarnaisa.

Advertisement

In an affidavit deposed by the investigating officer of the EFCC, Sulaiman Muhammad told the court that the commission received a petition from a first-generation bank which complained of a monumental fraud allegedly committed on the account of some of its customers, which totalled N1,403,343,400.

The statement said, “The properties are one unit of a three-bedroom bungalow in Abuja; No. 8, Grace Crescent, Efab Queens Estate, Gwarimpa FCT, Abuja; one Mercedes Benz C300; one gray-coloured BMW 3 Series SUV, and one Black coloured Range Rover 2012.

READ ALSO:Court Sentences Two To Death For Ritual Killing In Ogun

Advertisement

Others are three Toyota Hilux of 2008, 2010 and 2014 models; one black coloured BMW SURXI 2016 and two Range Rover vehicles. Other items forfeited included a cash sum of N326,400,000 and another $480,000.

“Justice Osiagor had earlier ordered the interim forfeiture of the properties and also ordered the publication of the said order in a national newspaper for any interested parties to show cause why they should not be finally forfeited to the Federal Government.”

Moving the application for the final forfeiture on Friday, Kofarnaisa told the court that the application was supported by an affidavit from Muhammad.

Advertisement

In the affidavit, Muhammad stated that the bank subsequently submitted an addendum to the petition dated July 24, 2023, wherein the total sum of N2,007,000,000 was fraudulently stolen from the customers of the bank.

According to him, the bank discovered that some customers’ accounts were debited in a manner other than the pattern familiar to the bank, which led to an internal investigation by the audit unit of the bank.

READ ALSO:Court Orders Lagos LG To Vacate Deeper Life Church Land

Advertisement

He further stated that the investigation revealed that Atus Homes Limited fraudulently received a total sum of N681,200,000 from 126 customers’ accounts in different tranches.

An investigation also revealed that Fav Oil and Gas Limited fraudulently received a cumulative sum of N1,388,000,000 from 429 customers’ accounts in different tranches.

“That the total sum of N887,478,600.00 of the sum fraudulently stolen was transferred to various accounts in other banks. Kofarnaisa, thereafter, submitted that the said accounts warehousing the funds sought to be forfeited received inflows reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities and are not proceeds of any legitimate business venture.

Advertisement

“She also told the court that the mastermind of this fraudulent crime had been charged before a Federal High Court and that ‘trial is ongoing.’ After listening to the EFCC counsel, Justice Osiagor held that he found merit in the argument of the applicant and ordered the final forfeiture of the properties to the Federal Government of Nigeria,” the statement added.

(PUNCH)

Advertisement

Metro

Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights

Published

on

By

Drama erupted at Ologbo Park by Agip Filling Station, along Sapele Road, Benin City, when a popular evangelist known as Pastor Evidence threw caution to the wind and chased away a colleague-pastor who came to the park to preach to passengers travelling from Benin to Warri, Delta State.

It is a common practice in most of the motor parks in Benin seeing pastors or better put, evangelists, preaching to passengers who are about embarking on a journey.

Advertisement

These pastors or evangelists thereafter offer prayers to Almighty God for a safe trip on behalf of the passengers, and in return solicit for financial assistance from the passengers for the support of their evangelical work.

READ ALSO: Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

However, this voluntary preaching of the gospel turned something else on Sunday morning at the park as Pastor Evidence, in the full glare of passengers, conductors and passersby, ordered his colleague to leave the park in a loud voice, claiming the exclusive preaching right to the park.

Advertisement

The development angered some of the bus drivers as they came in their number in defence of the pastor.

The incident caused commotion and division amongst the drivers.

While some supported the action of the pastor others condemned him. They accused him of greed and being hostile to a fellow preacher.

Advertisement

A traveller who witnessed the drama criticized Pastor Evidence, saying that his actions exemplify the commercialisation of the gospel.

The passenger who spoke in anonymity said: “This is shameful. A so-called man of God can do this to a fellow pastor. Is it because of the little offering from passengers? His action further speak to the commercialisation of the word of God by fake pastors.”

 

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap

Published

on

By

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.

According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

Advertisement

Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.

Advertisement

The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.

“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”

According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.

Advertisement

The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi

Published

on

By

A 35-year-old man identified as Peter Ugochukwu Odom, a native of Oyinkwa village in Amachi Community, was reportedly electrocuted while erecting a pole at Nkwoagu in Abakaliki Local Government Area of the State.

It was gathered that the deceased, who worked with Ibortic Concrete Investment Ltd, was part of a team contracted to install new poles in the area.

Advertisement

It was in the course of mounting the poles that he accidentally touched a live high-tension wire, leading to his instant electrocution.

READ ALSO:UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration

Confirming the incident, the Managing Director of the company, Mr. Peter Ibor Chukwuemeka, who also disclosed that the victim was his younger brother, expressed deep grief over the loss.

Advertisement

According to him, the team had been invited by a customer to deliver and mount a concrete pole near Nkwoagu.

We were called for the job. The customer assured my boys that power had already been disconnected from the high-tension line in the area. Unfortunately, that information was false.

READ ALSO:Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X

Advertisement

While attempting to erect the pole, it mistakenly touched the high-tension wire, and my brother got electrocuted instantly,” he explained.

He said that the victim was first rushed to the military clinic within the cantonment before being transferred to the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital (AE-FUTHA II), where doctors confirmed him dead.

Mr. Chukwuemeka lamented that the deceased, who had worked with him for over three years, was a diligent staff and the breadwinner of his young family.

Advertisement

The victim’s uncle, Mr. Ezeode Samuel, confirmed the incident and described the incident as a great loss to the family, adding that burial arrangements would be decided after consultations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version