Nigeria’s youngest gold medallist, Deborah Quickpen, has emerged winner of the just concluded U-10 Africa Youth Chess Championship in Ghana.
The 9-year-old Bayelsa-born chess prodigy, amassed 8.0 points, to defeat Tunisia’s Hasnaoui Abrar in her 9th and final game.
She was crowned champion ahead of nineteen others drawn from other African nations in the competition.
Little Miss Quickpen has now made history as the youngest female chess player to bag a WOMAN CANDIDATE MASTER title, after her feat.
The multiple medalist was among the two Nigerians selected to participate in the competition, alongside others from Ghana, Kenya, Egypt, Tunisia and South Africa.
Recall that Deborah was ranked seventh in Africa, and first in West Africa after the Chess Championship in Namibia in 2019.
EPL: Chris Sutton Gives Reasons Chelsea Will Win Title This Season
Former Chelsea striker, Chris Sutton, says the club’s 7-0 victory against Norwich City in the Premier League on Saturday proves why the Blues will go on to win the English top-flight league title this season.
According to Sutton, Thomas Tuchel’s side are so strong, and their academy players are flourishing.
Chelsea thrashed Norwich City at Stamford Bridge, thanks to Mason Mount’s hat-trick and a strike each from Callum Hudson-Odoi, Reece James, Ben Chilwell and Max Aarons’ own goal.
“This is why I believe Chelsea will win the Premier League – their squad is so strong and their academy players are flourishing,” Sutton told BT Sport.
“Today’s performance was excellent, but last month the performances have not been there.
“That is a tremendous mentality to have. They have a squad ready to compete at all levels.”
The victory over Norwich City means Chelsea are on top of the Premier League table with 22 points from 9 games.
Beijing Offers COVID-19 Boosters, 4 Months Before Olympics
China’s capital Beijing has begun offering booster shots against COVID-19, four months before the city and surrounding regions are to host the Winter Olympics.
Anyone 18 or older who have received two-dose Chinese vaccines and belong to at-risk groups, including those participating, organizing or working on games facilities, would be eligible for the additional shot, state media reported Friday.
The booster has been rolling out in cities across the vast nation since late September, but Beijing authorities have been extra cautious in who receives the extra jab.
The games are set to begin on Feb. 4 with only residents of China allowed in the stands. Indoor events with sliding, skiing and jumping will be held in the suburb of Yanqing and the neighboring city of Zhangjiakou.
China has been largely successful in preventing local transmission through strict requirements on mask wearing, quarantining and contact tracing. Cases continue to pop up however, with 28 new ones reported Friday, including one in the Beijing suburb of Fengtai.
The pandemic is believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019, leading to a total lockdown that affected more than 50 million people.
China has been accused of covering up the initial outbreak and stymying investigations into the coronavirus’ origins, although it said earlier this week that it would cooperate with a renewed investigation by the World Health Organization while “firmly opposing any forms of political manipulation.”
WHO on Wednesday released a proposed list of 25 experts to advise it on next steps in the search for the virus’ origins after its earlier efforts were attacked for going easy on China.
READ ALSO: Police Arrest APC’s Social Media Handler
Ex-Man United Defender Reveals How He Was Sexually Abused
Former Manchester United and France defender Patrice Evra has said he was sexually abused as a teenager.
In an interview to publicise his new autobiography, Evra told The Times on Friday the abuse took place when he was a 13-year-old schoolboy.
The now 40-year-old Evra said that far more difficult than detailing the abuse in his autobiography or speaking about it an interview, was telling his mother for the first time.
“Of course, she was devastated,” he told The Times. “It was a tough moment for me. I have still to tell a few of my brothers and sisters and close friends.”
Evra said he had decided to make a public revelation in order to help children who may be in a similar situation.
“I don’t want people to feel pity,” he explained. “It’s a difficult situation.
“A mother does not expect to hear this from their own child…
“Only now when I am 40 years old do I tell her. It was a big shock for her. A lot of anger. She said she was sorry.
“She said: ‘You must not put it in your book, it’s private Patrice,’ but that’s when I say, mum, it’s not about me, it’s about other kids then she says OK, she understands.”
Evra added he did not plan to take legal action against his alleged assailant.
“The first thing my mum says is, ‘if you don’t sue him, I’ll sue him. If he’s still alive, I’m going to kill him’…But I buried this thing so deep I didn’t think about (prosecution).”
Evra also told The Times that when he was 24 and playing for Monaco, he received a call from police regarding accusations against his alleged abuser but that he felt unable to tell them what had happened to him.
“Living with that was one of my biggest regrets because I could have helped so many people,” he added.
Metro1 year ago
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
News1 year ago
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Around the World3 days ago
Trump Announces His Own Social Media
Crime2 years ago
Photo News: RCCG Members Take A Prayer Walk Against Insecurity, Killings
News1 year ago
Ijaw Group Blasts Delta PDP Chair, Seeks His Removal Over Guber Zoning Comment
Life & Style1 year ago
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
APC2 years ago
Breaking: Oshiomhole Booed, Whisked Away By Security Men At Benin Airport
News1 year ago
PHOTO NEWS: Oba Market Benin Gutter By Fire