Connect with us

Politics

BBC May Air More Video On Terrorism As Nigerian Govt Targets Media

Published

on

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is unfazed by the Federal Government of Nigeria’s seeming attempt to muzzle the media.

Insiders chatted with DAILY POST in reaction to the fine slammed on Trust Television Network (Trust TV) and others.

Advertisement

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) fined the multimedia wing of Media Trust Limited N5million for its “Nigeria’s Banditry: The Inside Story”.

The rest are Multichoice Nigeria Limited (DSTV owners), NTA-Startimes Limited, and Telcom Satellite Limited (TSTV) – N5million each.

The NBC informed the public that they all violated the broadcasting code by airing documentaries on banditry and terrorism.

Advertisement

The authorities consider the visuals damaging, with citizens already furious about the country’s worsening insecurity further enraged.

However, BBC sources accused the Nigerian government of trying to force the media to underreport the extent of damage done by non-state actors (NSAs).

We published another one (documentary), and will do more because it’s about the people suffering”, one hinted.

Advertisement

They (government) did not impose a fine on us because they knew they could not do so.

“What they can do is write to the agency that regulates us, the Office of Communications (Ofcom).

“They definitely would ask Ofcom to take disciplinary actions; they cannot do anything other than that.

Advertisement

“After Trust TV spoke with the victims, we interviewed the NSAs – Ado Aleru, the one turbaned, and Abu Sanni who led the Jangebe school attack,” the source said.

The duo have been terrorizing Zamfara. In mid-July, Aleru (Alieru) was named Sarkin Fulani (King of Fulanis) of Yandoton Daji Emirate.

He was installed by Aliyu Garba Marafa, the Emir of Yandoto, despite being on the police wanted list for kidnapping and killings.

Advertisement

In February 2021, Sanni’s gang abducted nearly 300 students of Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe.

In BBC’s ‘The Bandit Warlords of Zamfara’, he narrated how the Nigerian government paid millions for the release of the girls.

Sanni disclosed that they struck in retaliation for military operations after the wet period in 2020.

Advertisement

“When the rainy season ended, they sent the military. We decided to show the government they should not interfere in our problems. We went to Jangebe and took the students.

“We wanted to get the government angry. We demanded N300million but after negotiations, N60million was paid for their release”, he revealed.

Yusuf Anka, a journalist with the United Kingdom national broadcaster, met with the bandit leaders in their enclaves.

Advertisement

The NBC action announced on Wednesday followed last week’s comments by Information Minister, Lai Mohammed.

Appropriate sanctions will be meted to both the BBC and the Trust TV. They will not get away with the naked glorification of terrorism and banditry.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: EFCC Declares Instagram Celebrity, Mompha Wanted

Advertisement

“When otherwise reputable platforms like BBC can give their platform to terrorists showing their faces as if they are Nollywood stars, it is unfortunate.

“If they are not registered in Nigeria and they are only sending their signals to Nigeria, we will ask them to stop sending the signals”, he said.

Mohammed added that during the IRA (Irish Republican Army) days, “the BBC will not dare do what they are doing now in Nigeria”.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Politics

Gbajabiamila Reveals What Transpired At Obasanjo, Tinubu’s Meeting

Published

on

Speaker of House of Representatives, Rep.Femi Gbajabiamila, has revealed what transpired at the meeting between former president Olusegun Obasanjo and presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Sen. Bola Tinubu,

Gbajabiamila in a statement on Thursday while speaking at the Surulere Local Government Area (LGA) APC meeting in Surulere, Lagosaid Obasanjo made encouraging statements about Tinubu’s aspiration and even prayed for the APC presidential candidate.

Advertisement

He said, “When we were going to Obasanjo’s house, we were eight, including Asiwaju Tinubu; we did not want many people to know about the meeting. So, we were to meet Obasanjo and five others from his side.

“But when we eventually got there, we met something pleasantly shocking: a mammoth crowd of our supporters were at Obasanjo’s house waiting for us.

READ ALSO:  Details Of Tinubu’s Meeting With Obasanjo Emerge

Advertisement

“So, Obasanjo told Asiwaju Tinubu to pick three people from his side and that he would pick three from his side to meet behind closed doors.”

He stated that he alongside Chief Bisi Akande, Osoba and Asiwaju were at the meeting and from what Obasanjo said to them, Tinubu’s victory is assured.

Obasanjo spoke at length and we were all happy. He embraced our candidate like a brother, gave him a pat on the back, and prayed for him copiously”, Gbajabiamila said.

Advertisement

He added that Tinubu’s meeting with Obasanjo assured him of victory in 2023.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking To Void Ademola Adeleke’s Nomination For Osun Guber Election

Published

on

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has struck out a suit seeking nullification of submission of the name of Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke as the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the last July 26 election.

The judge on Thursday struck down the suit on the ground that the plaintiff lacked locus standi to institute the case.

Advertisement

The plaintiff in the suit, Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman, had dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the PDP and Adeleke before the court seeking order to void and set aside the submission of Adeleke’s name to INEC on grounds of alleged unlawful action.

The grouse of the plaintiff was that Adeleke’s name was hurriedly submitted by PDP on March 11 as against between March 14 to 18 as contained in the INEC guidelines.

Adeleke’s name having not been submitted within the period fixed by INEC, the plaintiff asked the court to declare the submission, illegal, unlawful, null, and void and be set aside.

Advertisement

He claimed that INEC must be bound by its official guidelines and that anything done outside the guidelines is against the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022.

READ ALSO: Osun Govt, Adeleke Trade Words Over Alleged Looting

However, in his judgment, Justice Obiora Egwuatu struck out the suit on the ground that the said Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman lacked locus standi to have instituted the case.

Advertisement

The Judge held also that the suit was statute barred having been fixed outside the 14 days stipulated by Section 285 of the 1999 Constitution that all pre-election suits must be filed within 14 days whereas, the instant suit was filed after 28 days.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

FLASHBACK: How Tinubu Named Obasanjo ‘Greatest Election Rigger’ In Nigeria

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential flagbearer for the 2023 general elections, Bola Tinubu, had on February 9, 2019, called the former President, Olusegun Obasanjo “the greatest election rigger” in the country.

The former Lagos State governor made the claim while accusing Obasanjo of rigging the 2007 presidential election which brought Late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua into power as Nigerian president.

Advertisement

Asiwaju, who made the assertion during a presidential rally of the ruling party at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos State, alleged that Yar’Adua admitted being rigged into office before he died.

He said: “When he was asked, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua admitted that the election which brought him into office was rigged.

“Who conducted that election? Obasanjo. Obasanjo is the greatest election rigger in this country.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the APC national leader on Wednesday visited the ex-president over his 2023 presidential ambition.

READ ALSO: Details Of Tinubu’s Meeting With Obasanjo Emerge

Tinubu, who is seeking the support of Obasanjo to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari come 2023, met the former president behind closed-doors at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Advertisement

In a tweet after the meeting, Tinubu expressed gratitude to Obasanjo and the Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun for the fantastic welcome accorded him during the visit.

He wrote: “My gratitude to former President Obasanjo, Governor Dapo Abiodun and the great people of Ogun State for the fantastic welcome. Thank you.”

DAILY POST

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending