Billionaire Kidnapper: Court Sentences Evans Co-defendant To Five Years
An Ikeja Special Offences Court on Friday sentenced Frank Udeme, one of the co-defendants of the convicted billionaire kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, to five years in Kirikiri Correctional Centre.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo sentenced Udeme for selling firearms to Evans after he pleaded guilty to the charge.
The judge ordered that the sentence take effect from the day he was remanded in custody.
“In view of the guilty plea of the third defendant, I hereby find the defendant guilty as charged.
“The defendant is hereby sentenced to five years imprisonment. However, the sentence will take effect from the day the defendant has been in detention which is July 6 2017,” she held.
Earlier, the counsel to the third defendant, Mr A. B. Josiah, had notified the court about the defendant’s change of plea.
NAN reports that the charge was re-read to the defendant and he pleaded guilty to counts six and seven.
Dr Babatunde Martins, the Director of Directorate of Public Prosecution, told the court that the third defendant admitted to having sold two AK47 and 270 AK47 live ammunition to Evans.
Martins said Udeme, who hails from Itan-kotoromu in Ika Local Government of Akwa-Ibom, made a statement on July 7, 2017, admitted to the offence.
The prosecutor said: “He admitted to having met the first defendant and sold two AK47 and 270 AK47 live ammunition to him.
“In his statement, he said he got the weapons from his community.
“According to him, the weapons were given to him by his community to fight the inter-communal crisis.
“Evans sent his driver, Emeka to retrieve the ammunition from him. In his statement, he wrote and I quote ‘ I sold the ammunition to Evans for N400,000 but he only paid me N200,000. Ever since I have not seen him’.’
Martins said the defendant’s statement had been admitted into evidence, adding that the offence contravened Section 9(2) of the Firearms Act and was punishable under Section 27(b) (iii) of the same Act.
“In view of this fact, we urge the honourable court to convict the defendant accordingly,” he said.
However, Josiah in his allocutus, pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy, noting that the defendant had no prior criminal record.
“My lord, I pray the court to temper justice with mercy, looking at the plea of the defendant which will save the court a lot of stress.
READ ALSO: War: Again, Russia Lists Conditions To End Hostilities In Ukraine
“I also want the court to take into consideration the fact that the defendant has been in detention since July 6, 2017 which is almost the length of his sentence if found guilty.
“I urge my Lord to temper justice with mercy and give the defendant a lenient sentence.
“This is his first offence and he has no previous criminal record,” he said.
NAN reports that Evans, Frank Udeme, Joseph Ikenna and Chiemeka Arinze were arraigned on a seven-count charge of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to kidnap and selling of firearms.
They were alleged to have attempted to kidnap Chief Vincent Obianodo, Chairman of the Young Shall Grow Motors on Aug. 27, 2013.
It was also reported that one of the defendants, Arinze passed away on Nov. 26, 2021, as a result of cardiopulmonary arrest caused by Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
Taiwo adjourned the case until March 28 for the continuation of the trial of the remaining two defendants.
BREAKING: DSS Arrests Ousted CBN Governor, Emefiele
The suspended Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, has been arrested by the Department of State Services, DSS.
Emefiele was earlier suspended on Friday by President Bola Tinubu.
Tinubu also appointed Mr Folashodun Adebisi Shonubi as the acting Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, in replacement for Emefiele.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: President Tinubu Fires Emefiele As CBN Governor
Details to follow…
Delayed Justice: 3 States In US Remove All Time Limits On Child S3x Abuse Lawsuits
Ann Allen loved going to church and the after-school social group led by a dynamic priest back in the 1960s.
The giggling fun with friends always ended with a game of hide and seek. Each week, the Rev. Lawrence Sabatino chose one girl to hide with him. Allen said when it was her turn, she was sxually assaulted, at age 7, in the recesses of St. Peter’s Catholic Church.
“I don’t remember how I got out of that cellar and I don’t think I ever will. But I remember it like it’s yesterday. I remember the smells. The sounds. I remember what he said, and what he did,” she said.
Allen, 64, is one of more than two dozen people who have sued the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland, Maine, over the past year, seeking delayed justice since lawmakers allowed lawsuits for abuse that happened long ago and can’t be pursued in criminal courts either because of time limits or evidence diminishing over time.
More survivors are pursuing cases as states increasingly consider repealing time limits for child sex crime lawsuits. Vermont was the first state to remove the limits in 2019, followed by Maine in 2021 and Maryland this year.
Michigan, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are poised to take action before their legislative sessions end.
“The momentum is irreversible,” said Marci Hamilton, CEO of CHILD USA, a think tank aiming to prevent child abuse and neglect.
In April, Maryland lifted time limits on child sexual abuse lawsuits against institutions less than a week after the attorney general detailed decades of abuse of more than 600 children by over 150 priests associated with the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
Other states, meanwhile, have briefly removed the statute of limitations on lawsuits for childhood abuse. More than 10,000 lawsuits were filed when New York set aside time limits for two years.
Across the country, those lawsuits have targeted churches, summer camps, scout groups and other institutions accused of enabling pedophiles or turning a blind eye to wrongdoing.
READ ALSO: Trump Indicted In Classified Documents Probe
More states eliminating the limits would help achieve justice and prevention, according to advocates who say survivors tend to keep the trauma to themselves, backed by new research suggesting survivors typically come forward in their 50s.
“More and more people come forward as they realize that they’re not alone,” said Michael Bigos, one of Allen’s attorneys, whose law firm has brought 25 lawsuits since last June and is evaluating more than 100 additional potential cases, including about 65 targeting the Portland diocese.
In his law offices, Allen looked at a photo of herself at her first communion at St. Peter’s, which serves what was once Portland’s Little Italy neighborhood and hosts a popular street party each summer.
The photo was taken after the assault. Her joy and exuberance are gone. “When I look at it, I see a pretty damaged child,” she said.
Sabatino quickly became part of the fabric of St. Peter’s when he arrived in 1958 after leaving another church where parents reported to police that he had sexually abused their 6-year-old daughter. The priest was warned by the Diocese of Portland not to engage with children or play games, but was soon doing both.
Parishioners, including Ann Allen’s family, invited him into their homes. He visited her family’s beach house.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Ex-US Presidential Candidate, Renowned Religious Broadcaster Dies At 93
Allen thought she was lucky when she was selected to hide with him. But the abuse became a dark secret she carried for decades.
She never considered telling her parents. Allen said she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“School principal in California, Allen was protective of children, especially those who reported abuse. She would try to help them and say right things — things she wished had been done for her. Then, she went home to “curl up in a ball,” she said.
But her secret came bubbling back when she returned to Maine and had to confront her past, she said.
Robert Dupuis tells a similar story.
He was 12 years old in 1961 when he was abused by the Rev. John Curran in Old Town, a riverside city in Maine. Decades later, he sought help from Alcoholic’s Anonymous when his marriage was in jeopardy. He acknowledged the abuse in group therapy, at around age 55, and the revelation changed his life.
“It healed me and it freed me from holding back,” the 74-year-old said.
His marriage and friendships have improved, he said. Now, he encourages others who have been abused to come forward.
Most of Maine’s newly filed civil lawsuits target the Diocese of Portland, accusing leaders of ignoring accusations against priests like Sabatino and Curran, or simply moving them to new parishes, allowing the abuse to continue.
Diocese officials concluded that allegations against Sabatino and Curran were credible. Both have long since died.
Maine removed its time limits in 2000 to sue over childhood sexual abuse, but not retroactively, leaving survivors without recourse for older cases. Changes in 2021 allowed previously expired civil claims. The Legislature also is considering easing the statute of limitations on criminal charges for sexual assaults of children.
The Portland diocese contends survivors had ample time to sue and it’s unconstitutional to open the door to new litigation, which could lead to requests for damages of “tens of millions of dollars.”
A judge rejected the arguments. The diocese has appealed to the state supreme court. An attorney and a spokesperson for the diocese both declined comment.
READ ALSO: Trump Risks 10 Yrs In Prison Over Classified Documents Case Indictment
For Patricia Butkowski, it was 1958 when her family alerted police that she said Sabatino assaulted her at a parish in Lewiston. After the diocese transferred him to Portland, Allen and others became victims.
“I’m now at 70 feeling emotions and allowing myself to feel emotions that I never knew I had. Anger is at the top of it. I’m like a volcano spewing and there’s just so many emotions, and anger at the church,” she said.
Butkowski, who now lives in Oklahoma City, wants the church to apologize and acknowledge the wrongs done to her and others so she can “hopefully regain some sort of faith before I die,” she said.
“What was done to me by the priest damaged my soul,” she said. “I don’t have a soul anymore. It’s broken.”
Trump Risks 10 Yrs In Prison Over Classified Documents Case Indictment
Former US President Donald Trump faces seven charges as he has been charged over his handling of classified documents after he left the White House.
The 76-year-old if convicted, might be jailed for a maximum of 10 years as it was the second indictment in three years.
BBC said the charges against him including unauthorised retention of classified files are yet to be made public.
Trump is campaigning to make a return to the White House in 2024 and legal experts have said the indictment will not prevent Trump’s ability to run for the presidency again.
READ ALSO: Trump Indicted In Classified Documents Probe
In a post on Truth Social on Thursday, Trump said he was innocent and had been summoned to appear at a federal court in Miami, Florida, on Tuesday afternoon, where he will be arrested and hear the charges against him.
“I never thought it possible that such a thing could happen to a former president of the United States,” he wrote.
He added, “This is indeed a dark day for the United States of America. We are a country in serious and rapid decline, but together we will Make America Great Again!”
Trump’s attorney Jim Trusty said the former president had received details of the charges in a summons document.
READ ALSO: Trump’s Lawyers Meet Over Documents Probe
He said they include conspiracy, false statements, obstruction of justice, and illegally retaining classified documents under the Espionage Act.
However, the Department of Justice (DOJ) declined to comment and the indictment has not been publicly released, BBC said.
An indictment is a document that sets out details of charges against a person, ensuring they have notice of alleged criminal offences.
The Secret Service will meet Trump’s staff and his security officers to plan his journey to the Miami courthouse.
Tragedy As Man Kills Pregnant Wife In Edo
Delta: Commuter Dies In Crash, Police Seek Relatives
Ighalo Makes Saudi Team Of The Season
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Business1 week ago
BREAKING: NNPCL Confirms Increase In Fuel Pump Price
Headline1 week ago
President Biden Falls On Air Force Stage
News6 days ago
Fuel Subsidy Removal: Embrace Bicycle – FRSC Urges Nigerians
Metro7 days ago
JUST IN:Yahaya Bello Escapes Death As Gunmen Attack His Convoy, Injure Security Aides
News6 days ago
EFCC Seals Off Abuja, Rivers Properties Of Delta Federal Lawmaker-elect Over Corruption Allegations
Headline3 days ago
Tragedy As Nigerian Woman Of Four Shot Dead By US Neighbour Over Children’s Disagreement
Headline6 days ago
Sweden Declares S3x As Sport, To Hold First Competition Thursday
News5 days ago
BREAKING: Federal High Court Restrains NLC, TUC From Embarking On Strike