Connect with us

News

Breaking: Protesting Sports Festival Contingents Block Major Road, Say ‘We Have No Food, No Allowance’

Published

on

Protesting contingents of the aborted 2020 National Sports Festival otherwise known as Edo 2020, Thursday, March 19, blocked the popular Ekewan road, Benin City.

Ekewan road is the major road that links Ekewan barracks, Ekewan, Evboutubu, Ugbiyouko, Asoro, Agho and other areas of Benin metropolis.

Advertisement

The protest, though peaceful, led to the blocking of Joromi to Agho junctions portion of the road, as vehicular movement were restricted, exposing commuters who are going back to their homes after the day’s job to untold hardship.

The ever busy Ekewan road deserted by motorists as a result of the protest

Speaking to Info Daily in an exclusive chat, one of the contingents who does not want his name mentioned, said they decided to show their grievances over negligence on the side of the authorities concerned.

READ ALSO: Bauchi Govt To Establish Three Isolation Centres On Lasser Fever

The contingent who claimed majority of the persons who were peaceful protesting are staff of the Edo State Sports Council, revealed that they ( the contingents) have been camped for the past two weeks without allowance, good care.

Advertisement

“You see, majority of the persons you’re seeing here are members of the Edo State Sports Council. The National Sports Festival has been postponed, good and fine but what about our allowances. We have been camped for the past two weeks in preparation for the sports festival but let me tell you that we have not been paid a single day allowance; we are not taken good care of.

“Take for insurance, since morning, we have not been given food; no money. Since they camped us here, they don’t care if we exist”, he said.

READ ALSO: Just In: FG Slashes Petrol Price

Advertisement

He therefore called on the authorities concern to pay their allowances and other fringes they are entitled to.

The ever busy Ekewan road which under construction (dualization) by the Obaseki govt turned ghost of itself because of the protest.

“We cannot be here for the past two weeks without anything. Is it because the sports festival has been suspended we will not be paid for the weeks we have been here? They should pay us our two weeks allowance. Most of us have family, so we can’t leave our homes for good two weeks without anything.

Speaking to Info Daily on phone on the protest, Edo State
commissioner for Sports and Youth, Damian Lawani, said he is not aware of such protest, adding that he needed to contact the state Deputy Governor whom according to him is in charge of the sports festival.

READ ALSO: Cheating Husband Infected With Coronavirus After Taking Mistress To Italy

Advertisement

“Well, I am not aware of such protest to the extent of blocking major road. I will actually need to contact the Deputy Governor to know the real story. He is in charge so I need to hear from him to confirm”, he said.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

News

Abducted Ondo Monarch Regains Freedom

Published

on

By

The monarch of Oso Ajowa Akoko in in Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State, Oba Clement Jimoh, who was kidnapped, has regained freedom.

The traditional ruler, who was abducted in his palace, was set free by the bandits after he had spent seven days in their den.

Advertisement

According to a family source, the monarch was freed on Wednesday evening and he had been taken to the hospital where he was receiving treatment.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kidnap Ondo Monarch, Police Launch Probe

Kabiyesi regained freedom yesterday (Wednesday) evening but he has been taken to the hospital for treatment,” the source stated.

Advertisement

Details later…

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Withdrawal Limits: Senate Raises Concerns, To Debate New CBN

Published

on

By

A file photo of the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, during plenary at the upper chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja.

A file photo of the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, during plenary at the upper chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja.

Advertisement

The Senate has raised concerns about the latest Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) policy on cash withdrawals.

Senate Minority Leader Phillip Aduda in a point of order during plenary on Wednesday called the attention of his colleagues to the new policy and demanded for caution as it will affect many Nigerians, especially small business owners.

In his response, Senate President Ahmad Lawan cautions the CBN not to approach the policy by jumping into it at once as many Nigerians will be affected.

Advertisement

He further noted that there is a need to engage the CBN in discussions to get more details of the policy and he directs the committee on banking to discuss this matter during the screening of the CBN Deputy Governors expected to hold before next week.

The Senate has set next Tuesday to debate the new CBN policy.

Under the new withdrawal policy, the CBN restricted the maximum cash withdrawal over the counter (OTC) by individuals and corporate organisations per week to N100,000 and N500,000 respectively.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: CBN’s New Policy Will Lead To More Job Losses, Disorganize Businesses – University Don

The CBN stated, however, that withdrawals above the thresholds would attract processing fees of 5 per cent and 10 per cent respectively for individuals and corporate entities going forward.

In addition, third-party cheques above N50,000 shall not be eligible for OTC payment while extant limits of N10 million on clearing cheques still remain.

Advertisement

The new withdrawal regime further pegged the maximum cash withdrawal per week via Automated teller Machine (ATM) at N100,000 subject to a maximum of N20,000 cash withdrawal per day.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

IGP Launches Portal To Report Stolen Vehicles

Published

on

By

As precautionary measures to tackle vehicle theft, the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, has launched a platform for Nigerians to report cases of stolen vehicles.

Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, who disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday, said the digitalized platform – Central Motor Registry (CMR) – successfully completed and commissioned by the IGP is situated at the Force Headquarters in Abuja.

Advertisement

He said the platform launch followed the “IGP’s quest to ensure a digital environment for policing the country for robust and more proactive measures in crime prevention, investigation, and prosecution.”

“The newly digitalized Central Motor Registry Command Centre will make it possible for members of the public to report vehicles stolen from as far back as 1st January, 2018, and yet-to-be-recovered to input the vehicle details on the online platform to serve as a reliable data point for the possible recovery of the vehicle,” he stated.

“The platform will also process motor vehicle information to support police operations and efforts toward enhancing national security.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: APC, PDP, LP Chieftains In Heated Debate Over Nigeria’s Economic Woes

With the CMR having two Command Centres in Abuja and Lagos, Adejobi said 37 Information Centres are located across the Country and in the Federal Capital Territory, with 200 e-Enforcement Operational Patrol Vehicles with automatic number plate recognition on each vehicle as part of the first batch.

He also asked Nigerians and other residents in the country to take advantage of the platform at https://reportcmr.npf.gov.ng to upload their vehicle information on the website with effect from today 7th December, 2022, as a security step for preventing it from being stolen and re-registered.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending