Wailings, pains, sorrows, fears and condemnations have continued to herald the ongoing gory killings by gun-toting hoodlums who hijacked the #EndSARS protest to unleash carnage on police and correctional facilities in Benin City on Monday, October 19, 2020.
Since then, bullet-reddled corpses have on daily basis lie in pools of blood in some streets and major roads in the state capital.
Advertisement
The rampaging gangsters in their number, at different times and locations have robbed, maimed or opened fire on their targets, brazenly.
Shops and POS operators offices as well as banks costumers who make use of the Automated Teller Machines (ATM) have not been spared by the miscreants.
Investigation revealed that the absence of police personnel in the public space may have encouraged the lawlessness as the hoodlums operate unchallenged across the City.
One of the victims of the bloody clashes
Jungle justice had reportedly be delivered on suspected criminals apprehended by locals who were allegedly not received when they took suspects to police stations in their domains.
Two armed robbery suspects set ablaze in Upper Sokponba road in Benin city recently is a reference.
Advertisement
Rival cult groups are now using the opportunity to unleash deaths on their perceived enemies.
The robberies, maiming and killings have been taken beyond the usual, leaving victims, most of whom are males in their prime, to die like flies on the streets of Benin City.
On Friday, November 13, 2020 about 2:22pm our reporter was called to Igbinaduwa junction area of Upper Siluko road, Benin City.
On arrival at the scene, a young man lied helpless on the walkway bleeding profusely from his bullet riddled neck.
Victim of the recent court clashes
He gasped fruitlessly for available oxygen which visibly escaped from his badly damaged arteries, shortly, he gave up.
His hitherto red blood suddenly became purple-coloured, with eyes widely opened, as residents and passersby thronged the scene, wailing
Advertisement
He was said to have been gunned down by a member of a gang who left the spot gallantly and unchallenged after the shooting.
Other victims reportedly killed in similar dastardly manner.
The fatality rate is over 34 as at Saturday, November 14, 2020, and its likely to increase owing to a very strong sense of impunity among the hoodlums.
The gunmen suspected to be cultists also dared the Nigeria Police Force when they waylaid and rained bullets on an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), in Benin City in the morning of Friday, November 13, 2020.
The officer, ACP Agabi Aboki Godiri is the Area Commander in charge of Benin metro.
Advertisement
He was immediately hospitalised after the shooting.
Last weekend the ACP was rumoured to have died from the bullet wounds.
Our reporter’s checks however revealed otherwise as he is fast recovery and may be discharged from the hospital, soon.
Advertisement
Further findings revealed that Upper Sokponba and Idogbo areas of the City are the epicentres of the violence as no fewer than eight casualties have been reported in the areas.
Among other areas that have been reportedly hit by the crisis are Ogida, Ikpoba hill, Siluko road, Evbomore, Mission road and Uselu.
Apparently disturbed by the incidents, residents have called on the Edo State government, police command and other security agencies in the state to intervene.
Advertisement
They appealed to the police to respect and obey their boss IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu who visited the state a fortnight ago to evaluate the level of damage done to police facilities as he eventually directed police personnel to return to duty post and defend themselves.
The Commissioner of police, Edo State CP Johnson Kokumo had during a chat with journalists assured that police would reclaim the public space.
Advertisement
He said the command would not allow hoodlums to take over the state officers and men of the command were working within existing limitations to restore normalcy to the state.
He also assured that all the criminals would soon be arrested and prosecuted to serve as deterrents to others.
The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.
According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
Advertisement
Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.
Advertisement
The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.
“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
“Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”
According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.
Advertisement
“The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,”the statement added.
A 35-year-old man identified as Peter Ugochukwu Odom, a native of Oyinkwa village in Amachi Community, was reportedly electrocuted while erecting a pole at Nkwoagu in Abakaliki Local Government Area of the State.
It was gathered that the deceased, who worked with Ibortic Concrete Investment Ltd, was part of a team contracted to install new poles in the area.
Advertisement
It was in the course of mounting the poles that he accidentally touched a live high-tension wire, leading to his instant electrocution.
Confirming the incident, the Managing Director of the company, Mr. Peter Ibor Chukwuemeka, who also disclosed that the victim was his younger brother, expressed deep grief over the loss.
Advertisement
According to him, the team had been invited by a customer to deliver and mount a concrete pole near Nkwoagu.
“We were called for the job. The customer assured my boys that power had already been disconnected from the high-tension line in the area. Unfortunately, that information was false.
“While attempting to erect the pole, it mistakenly touched the high-tension wire, and my brother got electrocuted instantly,” he explained.
He said that the victim was first rushed to the military clinic within the cantonment before being transferred to the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital (AE-FUTHA II), where doctors confirmed him dead.
Mr. Chukwuemeka lamented that the deceased, who had worked with him for over three years, was a diligent staff and the breadwinner of his young family.
Advertisement
The victim’s uncle, Mr. Ezeode Samuel, confirmed the incident and described the incident as a great loss to the family, adding that burial arrangements would be decided after consultations.
Operatives of the Ogun State Police Command have foiled an armed robbery attempt along the Sagamu–Benin Expressway, killing one suspect and rescuing passengers trapped in the attack.
The incident occurred when a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number ENU 371 XJ, driven by one Mba Kingsley Chukwuemeka, was ambushed by a gang of about ten armed robbers at Imere Junction.
Advertisement
Spokesman for the Command said a patrol team led by ASP Ayodele Ajao responded swiftly, engaging the hoodlums in a gun battle. One of the robbers was neutralised while others escaped with gunshot wounds.
The rescued passengers and the driver were taken to safety, while the corpse of the deceased suspect was deposited at the Ijebu-Ode General Hospital morgue for autopsy. The Command added that efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.
Advertisement
In a related development, the police recovered a suspected stolen tricycle at Itele during a routine stop-and-search.
The tricycle, with registration number APP 171 OM and chassis number MB6M14PA0N4L10498, was abandoned by its rider, who fled on sighting the operatives. It has since been taken to the station as the investigation continues to trace the rightful owner.
Also, two suspects, Adebayo Adeleke and Ibrahim Taiwo, were arrested in Idiroko for allegedly stealing a police exhibit. The duo, reportedly caught removing a revolving light from a Hilux vehicle parked at the station, were handed over by one Oyeyemi Omotayo.
Police disclosed that the suspects confessed to the crime during interrogation, while the exhibit was recovered. The case is currently under investigation.