Connect with us

Metro

Carnival: Youths Clash In Ondo, Many Feared Killed

Published

on

Social and business activities were halted in Ikare Akoko in the Akoko North-East Local Government Area of Ondo State on Wednesday following the clash among youths in the town.

It was gathered that many people were feared killed, shops and vehicles allegedly vandalised and burnt down by some hoodlums while banks and other organisations did not open for business for fear of being attacked.

Advertisement

A source who spoke with our correspondent said five people lost their lives in the crisis with several others injured.

According to the source, the crisis erupted in the community during a new year carnival organised by the youths on Monday evening as two youth groups engaged in a fight.

The source said, “The crisis started on Monday evening during the new year carnival which was organised by the youths and it later degenerated till this (Wednesday) morning. There were gunshots everywhere. There is tension all over the town as I am speaking with you, nobody could go to the shop or market in Ikare.

Advertisement

“Banks too did not open for their customers for fear of hoodlums. Commercial activities in the central areas like Osele market, Obada Market have been paralysed. Okoja Area, Oloko junction, and Post Office Area up to Lokoja Garage have been deserted while shops and businesses have been closed down. Banks customers particularly those who came to Ikare from outside towns were lamenting the bank closure.”

Another source attributed the crisis to the ongoing cold war between the two traditional rulers in the community- the Olukare of Ikare and Owa Ale of Ikare – saying the two warring groups were alleged loyalists of the two monarchs.

He said, “You know Ikare is divided and Okoja is like a centre between the two. The Owa Ale people wanted to use the place but Olukare youths stopped them.

Advertisement

“When the Olukare wanted to use the place for the carnival on Tuesday, the Owa Ale people stopped them and there was a crisis. The shooting was much that the town became deserted.

READ ALSO: Just in: Gunmen Abduct Four Kogi Poly Students In Ondo

“This morning (Wednesday) the youths mobilised for another attack and the shootings continue. Many shops have been closed down but the police have intervened. I saw at least two people shot dead during the fracas and many others injured but I learnt some more people have been killed too.”

Advertisement

When contacted, the state Police Command Public Relations Officer, Funmilayo Odunlami, who confirmed the development, said policemen and other security agents had been deployed in the town to restore normalcy.

The PPRO said, “The warring parties have been warned to maintain peace. Police and soldiers are now patrolling the town to ensure law and order within the area.”

Advertisement

Metro

My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband

Published

on

By

He starves me, our children, beat me, left me almost naked in public —Wife

A minibus driver complained before a local court in Lusaka, Zambia, that his wife sleeps in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

Richard Makura, 48, of Kanyama compound was testifying in a case in which his wife, Patricia Mulenga, 40, a business woman sued him for divorce on allegation that he was violent.

Advertisement

According to the Zambian Observer, the two got married in 1996 and have three children.

Patricia told the senior court magistrate, Lewis Mum, sitting with two other magistrates, Abbyshine Michelo and Esther Mulomba at Kanyama Local Court that Richard has been beating her over petty issues since her father in 2004.

READ ALSO:I No Longer Love My Husband, I Want Divorce —Wife

Advertisement

She explained that in 2006, he threatened to burn her clothes and was forced to seek refuge at her parents’ home.

She told the court that he once beat her until she fainted.

Patricia stated that in 2015, Richard started working for APG Milling in Mansa but still failed to provide for the family because he only sent home K50 or K100 per month.

Advertisement

She further said that Richard joined her in June 2016 when his contract was terminated but she never saw the benefits he was given.

READ ALSO:‘My Husband Became Hostile After Losing His Job, Brandished Cutlass At Me’

“When I asked for our children’s school fees, he beat me in public and removed the chitenge material I was wearing.

Advertisement

“I was left in the short skirt I was wearing and in the confusion, he beat a man who wanted to rescue from his hand,” Patricia stated.

In defense, Richard denied being violet but admitted that problem started in 2006 when he had a girlfriend.

READ ALSO:My Wife Denies Me Sex, Neglects Our Children —Husband

Advertisement

He explained that when he came from Mansa, his wife started sleeping in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

The magistrate, Mumba stated that there was violence in their marriage and since Patricia wanted divorce, the court had no power to continue to live with Richard.

He granted the couple divorce, ordering Richard to compensate Patricia with K6,000 with initial payment of K1,000 followed by monthly installment of K400.

Advertisement

Property acquired together was ordered to be shared equally.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

I Spent 13 Days In Hospital After My Husband Beat Me —Wife

Published

on

By

…I now love her the more —Husband

A housewife, LadidiI Abass, has dragged her husband, Shehu Abass, to a Sharia Court sitting in Magajin Garki, Kaduna, Kaduna State, seeking divorce over alleged battery.

Abass who reside at Rigasa, Kaduna, said her husband usually beat her any time they had a misunderstanding.

Advertisement

Accordng to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the last time he did, he was hospitalised for 13 days.

He usually beats me in front of our children.

The last time he beat me, I was hospitalized for 13 days,”  Ladidi said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:My Wife Harasses, Slaps Me All The Time —Husband

She prayed the court to dissolve their union and grant her custody of their children.

The defendant, Shehu, denied all the allegations.

Advertisement

“I have just started loving my wife. I love her more and more every hour, “

Shehu thus prayed the court to grant him time to resolve their differences.

The judge, Murtal Nasir, after he had heard both parties, ordered the complainant to testify on her allegation on battery.

Advertisement

He then adjourned the case.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

My Husband Abandoned Me, No Longer Comes To My Room —Wife

Published

on

By

…I still love her —Husband

A housewife, Hassana Adamu, has urged a Upper Area Court, Gwagwalada, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), to dissolve her 10-year-old marriage to her husband, Danjuma Ali, on the grounds of lack of love and interest.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Hassan told the court that her marriage with Danjuma is blessed with three kids.

Advertisement

“I have lost interest in our marriage and no longer love my husband.

“My husband has abandoned me. He does not enter my room again, and he is no longer interested in me.

READ ALSO:I Doubt Our Only Child’s Paternity, I Want DNA Test, Man Tells Court

Advertisement

I want the court to dissolve our marriage because of lack of love and interest.”

Danjuma in his response , however, said that he still loved his wife.

The judge, Malam Abdulkarim, advised the couple to explore some means of settlement.

Advertisement

Abdulkarim asked the complainant if she was willing to accept back her husband if he did all she wanted, but she answered in the negative.

He then adjourned the case.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version