Connect with us

Sports

China Takes First Olympic Gold As Rain Disrupts Games

Published

on

China took the first gold of the Paris Olympics on Saturday, as the rain that dampened the opening ceremony took its toll on the first full day of sporting action.

In a closely fought final of the mixed-team 10-metre air rifle, teenage duo Sheng Lihao and Huang Yuting outscored Keum Ji-hyeon and Park Ha-jun from South Korea 16-12, Kazakhstan grabbing the bronze.

Advertisement

The rain already claimed one sporting casualty early Saturday as the wet weather which deluged Friday night’s audacious festival on the River Seine continued to cause headaches.

The men’s street skateboarding competition, due to take place at the Place de la Concorde in the historic heart of Paris, was postponed until Monday due to rain overnight, organisers said.

The downpours also disrupted play at the opening rounds of tennis at Roland Garros, with no action on the 10 uncovered outside courts until 13:30 local time (1130 GMT), organisers said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Celine Dion Charges $2m To Perform At 2024 Paris Olympics Amid Health Battle [VIDEO]

Torrential rain had lashed participants and spectators in Friday’s amphibious opening ceremony, where around 7,000 athletes paraded along the Seine in an armada of boats before a show-stopping finale which climaxed with a glittering light show at the Eiffel Tower and a performance from singer Celine Dion.

The ceremony received broadly favourable reviews, with France’s centre-right Le Figaro daily describing it as “full of surprises but often disjointed.”

Advertisement

The International Olympic Committee however was forced to apologise however for a gaffe during the ceremony that saw South Korea’s athletes incorrectly introduced as North Korean.

We deeply apologise for the mistake that occurred when introducing the South Korean team during the broadcast of the opening ceremony,” the IOC said in a post on its official Korean-language X account.

– Swimming duel –
Elsewhere on the sporting front, swimming, badminton, rowing, cycling, hockey and basketball get under way along with the surfing competition, nearly 16,000 kilometres (9,950 miles) kilometres away on the French Pacific island of Tahiti.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ‘I’m Honoured’ – Celine Dion Relishes Comeback Performance At Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony

Swimming will take centre-stage at the La Defense Arena for the women’s 400m freestyle — one of the most-anticipated events of the entire Olympics involving three swimmers who have held the world record.

Australia’s defending champion Ariarne Titmus will dive in as favourite after clocking the second-fastest time ever last month behind only her own 3min 55.38sec world best.

Advertisement

She stunned US rival Katie Ledecky in an electric Tokyo final three years ago, with the American great gunning for revenge.

Canadian teenage sensation Summer McIntosh, also a former world record holder, completes the hotly favoured trio.

Other gold medals on offer on the first night of action in the pool come in the men’s 400m freestyle and the men’s and women’s 4x100m freestyle relays.

Advertisement

Reigning French Open champions Iga Swiatek and Carlos Alcaraz are among the top draws on the first day of action on the clay courts of Roland Garros — weather permitting.

READ ALSO: Obasanjo Makes Shocking Revelation About His Birth

Women’s world number one Swiatek is first on court against Romania’s Irina-Camelia Begu, with Alcaraz to follow against Lebanese world number 275 Hady Habib.

Advertisement

But the biggest focus will be on the men’s doubles, with Alcaraz teaming up with 14-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal in a Spanish dream pairing.

Chinese shooters Huang Yuting and Sheng Lihao will start as favourites for the first gold of the Games after a dominant victory at last year’s world championships in Baku.

Medals will also be on offer Saturday in the diving pool, with the women’s synchronised 3m springboard final, where another Chinese pairing, Chang Yani and Chen Yiwen, are favourites to strike gold.

Advertisement

The first cycling medals of the games will be decided with the men’s and women’s individual times trials taking place on a challenging 32.4-kilometre course.

French rugby fans will flock to the Stade de France to see if Antoine Dupont can lead the host nation to gold in rugby sevens.

France however must overcome South Africa in Saturday’s semi-finals to reach the gold medal match against the winner of the other last-four clash between holders Fiji and Australia.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

Sports

Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has congratulated Team Edo athletes who represented Nigeria at recent continental championships and returned home with medals.

He spoke when the athlete led by Team Edo Athletics Head Coach, Mr. Mutiu Oluwa, paid a courtesy visit in his office on Monday.

Advertisement

The athletes had competed at the 3rd CAA U18/U20 African Athletics Championships held at the MKO Abiola International Stadium in Abeokuta, Ogun State, and the CAA Region II Senior Athletics Championship in Accra, Ghana.

In a statement issued by his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Hon. Enabulele praised the athletes’ performances, describing their achievements as a reflection of Governor Monday Okpebholo’s strategic investment in sports development.

READ ALSO:NSF: Team Edo Fully Prepared To Succeed, Sports Commission Boss Declares

Advertisement

The results we are witnessing today are a testament to Governor Okpebholo’s deliberate and strategic efforts to make Edo Nigeria’s hub for sporting excellence,” Enabulele said.

The Governor has consistently mandated us to focus on grassroots sports development — we ‘Catch Them Young.’ Today, we are seeing the fruits of that vision.”

At the Abeokuta championships, Edo athletes shone brightly: Audu Emmanuel (Silver, Shotput), Eze Peace (Bronze, Javelin), Akhalu David (Gold, 4×400m Mixed Relay), Salami Oseiwe (Bronze, 400m), Enaruna Anita (Silver, 400m; Gold, 4×100m, 4×400m, 4×400m Mixed, and 400m Mixed), and Oyibu Success (Silver, 100m; Gold, 200m and 4×100m).

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enabulele Congratulates Bendel Insurance For Pre-Season Tournament Performance

The medal haul continued in Accra, with Treasure Omotsivie winning Gold in High Jump (Women), Anita Enaruna clinching Gold in 200m and 4×400m Relay (Women), Chidera Ezeakor claiming Gold in 100m, 200m, and 4×100m Relay (Men), David Akhalu securing Gold in 4×400m Relay (Men), and Prestina Ochonogor (Paris Olympics finalist) taking Gold in Long Jump (Women).

Enabulele described the athletes as “worthy ambassadors of Edo State” whose discipline, commitment, and patriotism continue to inspire hope for the future of sports in Nigeria.

Advertisement

The athletes had been selected to represent Nigeria in the two major competitions held between July 16–20 in Abeokuta and August 18–19 in Accra, Ghana.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

Published

on

By

Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has expressed confidence that Team Edo will record an outstanding performance at the 9th National Youth Games (NYG), billed to hold in Asaba, Delta State, from August 26 to September 6, 2025.

Speaking through his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele described the games as a strong platform for nurturing grassroots talent and an opportunity for Edo’s young athletes to shine.

Advertisement

We are going into this competition with the youngest athletes in the country. For us, it is not about chasing victory at all costs, but ensuring that our young ones use this opportunity as a foundation for development and self-discovery. Edo believes in grassroots identification and talent grooming, and with the full support of our amiable Governor, Monday Okpebholo, we are confident of an impressive outing,” Edoko quoted the Commission Chairman as saying.

READ ALSO: 2025 NYG: Enabulele Charges Edo Coaches On Performance

Team Edo enters the competition with a boost from its strong showing at the South-South zonal eliminations, where it qualified in several ball games. These include female handball, male and female cricket, male baseball, male and female rugby, female football, male and female beach volleyball, female hockey, and female volleyball. The team will also compete in athletics, swimming, acrobatics, board sports, and other events.

Advertisement

Enabulele further stressed that Edo’s approach to the Games is built on sustainability and youth empowerment rather than quick-fix glory. According to him, “Our initiative is really working. The National Youth Games is more than just winning medals – it is about national unity, exposure for our athletes, and building a strong pipeline for the future. Edo is proud to be leading this charge.”

The 2025 edition of the NYG, themed “We are the Future,” officially kicks off on August 29 at the Stephen Keshi Stadium with a grand opening ceremony featuring top musicians and cultural troupes. The Games will be declared open by the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Mallam Shehu Dikko, representing President Bola Tinubu.

Delta State is hosting the Games for the third consecutive time. Over 37 sports will be contested across venues such as the Stephen Keshi Stadium and Indoor Sports Hall, Government House Squash Court, Asaba Sports Club, Anglican Girls Grammar School, and the Commissioners’ Quarters.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]

Published

on

By

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti did not recall Neymar and spared Vinicius Junior for World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Bolivia next month, with Lucas Paqueta returning to the national team.

The 33-year-old Neymar, who returned to Santos in January, has not worn the Brazil jersey for nearly two years due to repeated injuries.

Advertisement

Neymar had a small problem last week,” Ancelotti told a press conference on Monday, without providing further details.

According to the Brazilian press, Brazil’s leading all-time scorer with 79 goals in 128 matches, has experienced thigh discomfort during training.

READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region

Advertisement

His absence from the squad for the final two World Cup qualifying matches was, however, played down by Ancelotti with the five-time champions having already booked their ticket to next year’s tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Neymar, we don’t need to test him. Everyone knows him. Like the others, he must arrive in good physical condition to help the national team give its best at the World Cup,” said the Italian coach.

Neymar had been called up by Ancelotti’s predecessor Dorival Junior for matches in March — a 2-1 victory against Colombia and a 4-1 defeat to Argentina — but was forced to withdraw due to a thigh injury.

Advertisement

In the first two matches under the Italian’s guidance in June, Brazil drew 0-0 in Ecuador before beating Paraguay 1-0, thanks to a goal from Vinicius to seal their place in the 2026 World Cup.

READ ALSO:Ancelotti Tells Neymar To Prepare Well For World Cup

The Real Madrid striker will be absent from the next training camp. Suspended for the match against Chile on September 5 at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, the Brazil staff preferred to spare him the trip to play at altitude in Bolivia on September 9.

Advertisement

Paqueta, meanwhile, is returning after being cleared of betting charges by an independent commission of the Premier League last month.

The West Ham midfielder had been absent from the national team since November 2024.

Also returning is Joao Pedro, who has been in great form since joining Chelsea in July.

Advertisement

The 23-year-old centre-forward shone in July at the Club World Cup, scoring both goals that eliminated Fluminense, his youth club, in the semi-finals, and the third in the 3-0 victory in the final against Paris Saint-Germain.

READ ALSO:Brazil Star, Neymar Tests Positive For COVID-19

Brazil squad:

Advertisement

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Bento (Al-Nassr/KSA), Hugo Souza (Corinthians)

Defenders: Alexsandro (Lille/FRA), Alex Sandro (Flamengo), Caio Henrique (Monaco/FRA), Douglas Santos (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Fabricio Bruno (Cruzeiro), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal/ENG), Marquinhos (PSG/FRA), Vanderson (Monaco/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders: Andrey Santos (Chelsea/ENG), Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Joelinton (Newcastle/ENG), Lucas Paqueta (West Ham/ENG)

Advertisement

Forwards: Estevao (Chelsea/ENG), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Joao Pedro (Chelsea/ENG), Kaio Jorge (Cruzeiro), Luis Henrique (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Richarlison (Tottenham/ENG)

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version