Connect with us

News

Corruption In NDDC: Clark Wants Constitution Of New Investigative Panel

Published

on

Ijaw nationalist and South-South leader, Chief Edwin Clark, has demanded the constitution of a new investigative panel to probe the Interim Management Committee of the Niger Delta Development Commission and some members of the National Assembly.

He also insisted on the Presidential directive on forensic audit on the NDDC saying deviating from such “is unacceptable”.

Clark bared his mind in an open letter to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, dated June 3 2020, and obtained by The PUNCH In Abuja on Thursday.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: NDDC Contract: Akpabio, Senator Nwaoboshi Trade Words

According to him, allegations made against the Chairmen of the Senate and House Committees on Niger Delta Affairs, for which they have denied, were too weighty that they cannot be swept under the carpet while issues of corruption in the NDDC have become endemic.

Clark said, “The allegations made against both Chairmen are too weighty that they cannot be swept under the carpet. Their statements or explanations are not enough at all. A new investigative panel should be constituted to investigate both the IMC and these members of NASS.

“Issues of corruption in the NDDC have become endemic. It was as a result of these complaints, that Mr. President, promptly and courageously appointed the IMC, to supervise the forensic audit which he had also set up, to investigate all the alleged corrupt practices that had been perpetuated in the commission, before a board will be inaugurated for the commission.

Advertisement

“Any attempt to distract from Mr. President’s directive that forensic audit of the NDDC should be carried out is unacceptable to the people of the Niger Delta. We are solidly behind Mr. President in this his directive.

READ ALS: House Of Reps Insists Threats, Blackmail Won’t Stop NDDC Probe

“Therefore, Mr. Senate President, and the Right Honourable Speaker, if nothing is done, and urgently too, to investigate these grievous allegations leveled against these members and by extension the National Assembly, I must say that it will erode the confidence people, especially, Niger Deltans, have on the National Assembly.”

(PUNCH)

Advertisement

(PHOTO: File)

News

13yrs After, Police Arrest Killer Of 6 Corps Members In 2011

Published

on

The Bauchi Command of the Nigeria Police has arrested one Kabiru Musa also known as Dawa who allegedly masterminded the killing of 7 corps members, including a police constable in the 2011 post-election violence in Giade local government of Bauchi State.

The said Dawa, Vanguard learned, has been a constant source of terror to members of his community, until recently when he connived with his friend to kill a woman and dumped her body in a well.

Speaking to newsmen at the Command headquarters on Thursday, the Commissioner of Police, Bauchi Command, Auwal Mohammad said that some women had reported the abandoned body in a well which led to Dawa’s arrest.

Advertisement

On 18th April 2011 between the hours of 1230h 1300hrs a group of youth led by one Kabiru Musa AKA Dawa stormed Giade Divisional Police Headquarters following the announcement of the 2011 Presidential Election result armed themselves with dangerous weapons which included a knife popularly called Barandami.

READ ALSO: Father Arrested For Selling Six Biological Children In Sokoto

“…cutlasses, sticks, petrol (PMS) and attacked F/No. 020827 W/PC. Rifkatu Bappa who was on counter duty at the charge room. As a result, she sustained various degree of injuries and was immediately evacuated to FMC Azare and confirmed dead by a medical doctor,” he said.

Explaining further, Muhammad noted that the same Dawa killed one Bridget who had sought refuge in a police station and burnt her vehicle.

Advertisement

“Similarly, the said Dawa who was the Ringleader and his gang members used petrol (PMS) and set ablaze a motor vehicle one Toyota Starlet belonging to Mr. Peter Okoye which was kept for safekeeping during the peak of the attack.

“In furtherance of this dastardly act, the said Dawa attacked one Bridget Peter Okoye wife of Mr. Peter Okoye cut-off her fingers, the set fire of the said Motor vehicle affected/burned down the station which led to the gruesome murder of six (6) corps members who were at the station for safety.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Over 60,000 Students Have Applied For Loan — NELFUND

“The name of the corps members namely; Nkwazema Anslem with call-up no. NYSC/OWP/2010/127350, state code; BA/10B/1160 state of origin; Imo State. Adewumi seun paul with call-up no. NYSC/OOU/2010/155553, state code; BA/10B/1301, state of origin; Ekiti State.

Advertisement

“Okpokiri Obinna with call-up no. NYSC/AUU/2010/180200, state code; BA/10C/0950, state of origin; Abia
Teidi Olawale Tosin with call-up no. NYSC/ILR/2010/215976, state code; BA/10C/1220, state of origin; Kogi State.
Adewei Elliot with call-up no. NYSC/2011/0144144, state code; BA/11A/0274, state of origin; Bayelsa State.

“Ukeoma Ikechukwu Chibuzor with call-up no. NYSC/UNN/2011/077160, state code; BA/11A/1354, state of origin; Imo State. The above-mentioned corps members (May their soul rest in peace) tried to take to their heels while the said suspected killer (Dawa) alongside his syndicate run in pursued of the corps members to their various locations of refuge and gruesomely murdered them one after the other,” he added.

According to the Commissioner, Dawa also led his gang to break into shops of traders and stole valuables.

READ ALSO: Mexican Mayoral Candidate Assassinated At Point-blank Range[VIDEO]

Advertisement

The syndicate also attacked and broke into shops of traders and carted away valuables, further causing a breakdown of law and order. After a manhunt for a decade, the Suspect has been arrested and investigation is ongoing, after the conclusion, he will be arraigned in court based on the findings of the investigation.

“It may interest you to also know that the same suspect (Dawa) in a related development has been arraigned before the court for a case of criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide. The incident occurred on the 26th of April, 2024 at about 1030hrs, when some water vendors inhabitants of Unguwar Tudun Maje Giade town discovered the decomposed body of an adult girl in a well situated in the same address.

“Following the discovery of the decomposed body, they reported at the Divisional Police Headquarters Giade, where the DPO drafted his men, visited the scene and removed the remains to General Hospital Giade and she was certified dead by a medical doctor.

“Subsequently, the DPO invited the residents to come forward for identification and she was identified as Aisha Mohammad ‘f’ aged 17yrs of Giade LGA, Bauchi State.

Advertisement

“During investigation, two people were accused and arrested in connection to the crime namely;

“Kabiru Musa ‘m’ aged 30yrs aka “Dawa” 2. Anas Adamu ‘m’ aged 31yrs all of Giade LGA, Bauchi State.

“During interrogation, the first defendant denied the allegation against him while the second accused freely confessed to the crime and confirmed that they killed the said (Aisha) deceased and dumped her body into the well together with the said Dawa who happens to be his boss,” he concluded.
PUNCH

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Flooding: INEC Boss, Yakubu Inspects Damaged Facilities In Edo, Promises Replacement

Published

on

The Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu on Thursday said the damaged facilities in the Edo office would be replaced before the Sept. 21 governorship election.

Yakubu said this during an on-the-spot-assessment of the level of damage done to its facilities by the flood disaster occasioned by torrential rain in Benin on May 24.

The flood disaster destroyed some voter enrollment machines already configured for the Continuous Voter Registration exercise.

Advertisement

Speaking after the inspection of the facilities, Yakubu said he was in Benin to assess the level of damage with a view to immediately proffering solutions to whatever problems that has arose from the disaster.

READ ALSO: INEC Promises Credible Election In Edo, Despite Destruction Of Critical Infrastructure

He said the flood disaster would not hinder the smooth conduct of the governorship election in the state, adding that the commission would do an assessment of what was damaged and respond appropriately.

He expressed joy that no life was lost to the flood.

Advertisement

“This is not a regular visit. We are here to see what happened to our facilities after the flooding that occurred on Friday, May 24.

“I came here with the Director of ICT because some machines were destroyed and I also came with the federal controller of works because he would be helping us to address the flooding problems in and around the INEC office in Benin.

“Providing working equipment and ensuring a conducive work environment is as crucial as paying salaries.

READ ALSO: Naira Appreciates by 9.7% Against Dollar At Official Market

Advertisement

“So we will ensure that we fix the damaged facilities before the election,” he said.

The INEC chairman also disclosed that the CVR exercise would continue in spite of the damage caused by the flood disaster.

He, however, described the turnout of registrants as impressive, stressing that the damaged facilities poses no threat to the ongoing CVR and election.

“We took proactive measure to ensure that the CVR was not affected by calling for additional resources from neighboring states since INEC was one national body.”

Advertisement

According to him, the present Commission has enough experience in conducting governorship election and this is the third governorship election we will be conducting in Edo since 2016.

Earlier, the State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Dr Anugbum Onuoha thanked the Chairman for being proactive in responding to the disaster.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Sanusi Makes First Appointment Amid Emirship Tussle

Published

on

As the controversy trailing Kano Emirate tussle continues, the 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II has on Thursday made his first appointment.

This was coming barely a week after he was reinstalled as the Emir.

Sanusi, the former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, approved the appointment of a new Ward Head of Kofar Mazugal, Hamisu Sani in Dala Local Government area of the state.

Advertisement

The Emir called on the new ward Head to ensure peaceful coexistence among the subjects of the area and contribute his quota towards the development of the state as a whole.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Court Stops Police, SSS, Military From Evicting Emir Sanusi

Earlier, district heads and personalities such as delegations from religious and market bodies paid homage on Emir Sanusi at the palace.

The delegation includes, Ansarulddeen Tijjanniya sect and Traders from Kano popular textile market (Kantin Kwari) as well as the commodities market (Singer market) among others.

Advertisement

Recall that Sanusi II was reinstalled as the Emir of Kano last Thursday after the Kano State House of Assembly and Governor Abba Yusuf repealed and accented the Kano State Emirates Councils (Repeal) Bill 2024 into law.

Continue Reading

Trending