Connect with us

Metro

Court Detains Nigerian Suspected ISIS Member For 60 Days

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the detention of a Nigerian accused of being a member of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, Emmanuel Osase, for 60 days.

The trial judge, Inyang Ekwo, gave the order following a motion ex-parte filed by the Department of State Servicesmarked FHC/ABJ/CS/409/2024.

At Wednesday’s proceedings, the applicant’s counsel, A. A Ugee, told the court that the matter was brought pursuant to Section 66(1) of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act 2022.

Advertisement

He prayed the court for an order enabling the applicant to detain the respondent for 60 days pending the conclusion of the investigation.

READ ALSO: Senegal President Names Opposition Leader, Sonko As Prime Minister

Ruling,  Justice Ekwo, a vacation judge, granted the prayer of the service.

He said, “Upon studying the averments in the affidavit, I hereby grant the relief as prayed. ”

Advertisement

Justice Ekwo subsequently adjourned the matter till June 3, 2024.

Osase, who was arrested on March 11, was accused of propagating the messages of the terrorist group, opposing the democratic system of government in Nigeria, and calling for terrorist attacks on Nigeria and its symbols of sovereignty.

In an affidavit dated March 27, 2024, and deposed to by Ahmed Abubakar, an official of the Department of State Services attached to the Legal Service Department, National Headquarters, Abuja, the service sought an order to detain the suspect (Osase Emmanuel) for 60 days, adding that the suspect’s release could jeopardise the investigation.

READ ALSO: Detained Binance Executive Drags EFCC, NSA To Court

Advertisement

He said, “It is necessary for the applicant in the case to apply to this court for an order to detain the applicant for 60 days, pending the conclusion of an ongoing investigation in a case of terrorism;

“That the respondent was arrested by a team of personnel from the applicant’s office for alleged membership and propagation of Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist messages, including opposition to the democratic system of government and the call for staging terrorist attacks against Nigeria and its symbols of sovereignty.”

Abubakar stated that Osase was jailed for five years for terrorism-related offences in France and was deported after the completion of his sentence.

He noted that from the service’s preliminary investigation, Osase was still involved in terrorist activities.

Advertisement

Abubakar said the respondent still engaged with a proscribed pro-ISIS online media group known as “al-Alawn Media Foundation.

READ ALSO: Court Sentences Chinese To Death For Killing Nigerian Girlfriend

“That preliminary investigation revealed that the respondent, who is an ex-convict, still engages in terrorist activities which previously led to his conviction in France;

“That the respondent appeared not to have renounced his terrorist ideologies, as he continues to engage with the proscribed pro-ISIS online media group known as “al-Alawn Media Foundation” whose main objectives is the creation and dissemination of terrorist content and the promotion of terrorist attacks against Democratic Systems of Government such as Nigeria and the Western Governments including their interests across the globe;

Advertisement

“That the respondent who was born in the Federal Capital Territory left Nigeria for France and never returned to Nigeria until his deportation after completion of a five-year jail term in France for acts of terrorism and attempt to join the Islamic State (IS) linked terrorist group, Friqat Al-Ghuraba (Group of Foreigners) in Syria.”

Abubakar stated that the respondent, upon sighting operatives of the service, formatted his phone.

He said, “The respondent, at the point of arrest, formatted his mobile device to factory settings upon sighting security agents ostensibly to wipe out any suspicious contents on the device and cover up his nefarious activities;

READ ALSO:Forbes: Top 10 World’s Richest Celebrity Billionaires In 2024 [PHOTOS]

Advertisement

“That the activities of the respondent constitute a potent threat to national security and corporate existence of Nigeria;”

He, however, urged the court to grant the request of the service, adding that there was a need to painstakingly probe the respondent to ensure he does not constitute a security treat to the country and world at large.

“That the release of the respondent at this time would jeopardise the investigation, as the investigation has assumed a wider dimension;

“That there is a need for a thorough investigation of the suspect to ensure that he does not pose any security threat to Nigeria or the world at large;

Advertisement

“That the respondent is helping with vital information that will lead to the arrest of other members who are still at large,” Abubakar stated.

Metro

Soldier Arrested For Allegedly Stabbing Motorcyclist In Lagos

Published

on

A Lance Corporal of the Nigerian Army had been arrested for allegedly stabbing a commercial motorcyclist during a misunderstanding in bar in Ikorodu area of Lagos, weekend.

The cause of the incident said to have occurred at about 2am at the bar of a lounge in Itamaga area of Ikorodu was yet to be ascertained.

Eye witnesses hinted that during the Lance Corporal later discovered to be attached to 159 Battalion, Yobe State, allegedly attacked the commercial motor cyclist with a gun like Jack knife, in the upper left side of his stomach.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Police Intercept Stolen Truck With Over N30m Goods, Arrest Suspect In Bauchi

The scene of the crime was reportedly visited by policemen , who rushed the dying victim to an undisclosed hospital.

Spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hudenyin confirmed the incident.

He said that the injured man was responding to treatment.

Advertisement

According to him: ” The suspect has been arrested and investigation is ongoing”.

Continue Reading

Metro

Many Feared Dead As Hoodlums Go On The Rampage In Niger

Published

on

Suspected hoodlums in Niger State have reportedly raided shops, killed and maimed residents in the Maitumbi area of Minna, the state capital.

Eyewitnesses said the rampage started on Friday and continued for the next two days, forcing a reign of terror in the area.

A tricyclist, Ifeanyi Nwosu, narrated how he narrowly escaped death when some of the hoodlums attacked him while he was carrying some passengers.

Advertisement

As I was riding my tricycle through the Maitumbi area, I had three passengers when about four of the hoodlums attacked us. They were brandishing their knives and daggers, threatening to use them on us. They collected all the mobile phones of the passengers.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Tension As Masked Armed Men Storm Oyo Govt House 

“What saved me was that I was swinging the tricycle, preventing the hoodlums from overpowering me. One of them even used his dagger to try to stab me, but in the process, he destroyed the tricycle’s windscreen. I only managed to escape from them. I would have been a dead man by now,” he narrated.

Another eyewitness, Musa Mohammed, narrated how the hoodlums who were said to be acting under the influence of dangerous drugs beheaded a middle-aged man and his young son, who they caught at the centre of the fracas.

Advertisement

According to Mohammed, police operatives who were invited to arrest the situation were also attacked by the hoodlums.

“Before my very eyes, the hoodlums beheaded a middle-aged man and his young son. They also attacked policemen who came to quell the crisis.

READ ALSO:Traditional Stool: Gunmen Invade Lagos Community, Kill One-yr-old Baby, 10 Others, Burn Houses [PHOTOS]

“They even vandalised their vehicle, but the policemen fired teargas at the hoodlums to disperse them, but they refused to calm down,” he added.

Advertisement

According to The PUNCH, several residents of the Maitumbi area could not get home on the night of the incident as they had to find alternative places to sleep for fear of the attacks.

The hoodlums reportedly broke into shops, raiding wares and attacking those who attempted to resist.

Over eight residents were allegedly killed while many others were injured in the rampage.

The spokesman for the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the attack to newsmen but could not ascertain the number of victims killed.

Advertisement

“There were street fights, but the men of the state command were able to bring the situation under control. Five ring leaders of the fight were arrested,” he said.

Abiodun said details of the incident were still emerging, so he could not confirm the number of deaths or injuries.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Police Intercept Stolen Truck With Over N30m Goods, Arrest Suspect In Bauchi

Published

on

Operatives of the Bauchi State Police Command have arrested a suspected robber who stole a trailer truck loaded with 35 tons of groundnut oil worth N30m.

Spokesperson of the command, SP Ahmed Mohammed Wakil, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday, April 14, 2024, said the truck was coming from Umuahia in Abia State heading to Kano State when it was stolen at Maraban Jos trailer park in Kaduna State.

According to the PPRO, preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the truck had stopped around the park to take his bath only to return later and discover that the trailer was missing from where it was parked.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Troops Ambush Terrorists On Transit To Cause Havoc In Kaduna, Neutralize Two

On the 12th of April, 2024, the Toro Divisional Police headquarters received a distress call reporting the theft of a trailer truck parked at the Maraban Jos trailer park area of Kaduna state,” the statement read.

“The stolen truck contained 35 tons of groundnut oil worth about thirty million Naira (30,000,000) and was en route from Umuahia to Kano state with a DAF CF 85 model. The Divisional Police Officer immediately led operatives to track down the truck, which was intercepted while heading towards Bauchi state.

“A preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the truck had made a detour around the Maraban Jos trailer park to take a bath. Upon returning, the driver discovered that the trailer was missing from where it was parked.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Video: Moment Pastor Enenche Sent Lady Away For Giving False Testimony On The Altar

“However, the operatives were able to recover the significant amount of goods that had been transported, including the trailer truck.

“The suspect responsible for the theft has been arrested and is currently being held for questioning. The Commissioner of Police Bauchi State Command CP Auwal Musa Muhammad, psc, directed that a discreet investigation be carried out by the state criminal investigation department, after which the suspect will be charged to court upon completion of the investigation.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending