Connect with us

Politics

Court Extends Freezing Order On Osun LGs’ Bank Accounts

Published

on

An Oyo State High Court sitting in Ibadan, presided over by Justice Ladiran Akintola, on Thursday, extended its earlier order, restraining the United Bank for Africa, Plc, from paying, releasing, or tampering with funds belonging to the 30 Local Governments in Osun State.

Akintola, who gave the order during the sitting in Ibadan, the state capital, said it would remain in force until tomorrow, Friday, October 10, 2025, when the case is scheduled for further hearing.

He explained that the extension became necessary to ensure that all parties in the case were granted the right to a fair hearing in line with Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

Advertisement

In his ruling, the judge said, “The case is adjourned till Friday, October 10, 2025, for further hearing, while the interim injunction shall continue to subsist.”

READ ALSO:Osun LG Crisis: INEC To Relocate CVR Centres, Releases Gov Poll Timetable

Earlier, counsel to the plaintiff, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Musibau Adetunmbi, told the Court that the Peoples Democratic Party had filed an application seeking to be joined in the suit.

Advertisement

He, however, disclosed that his team would oppose the application.

“Even though the PDP has a constitutional right to a fair hearing under Section 36, we shall oppose their application for joinder. The case is narrow and straightforward; there is no need for multiple parties.”

The SAN also noted that Kasim Gbadamosi (SAN), who holds the brief of Kunle Adegoke (SAN), for the All Progressive Congress ex-council chairmen, had filed a fresh application in addition to an earlier one on the same matter of joinder.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Protest Rocks Abuja Over Osun LG Polls

Responding, Gbadamosi said he intended to withdraw the new application, arguing that the issue of jurisdiction did not require a formal application.

“I will withdraw the application. The issue before the court is jurisdictional, and as such, it doesn’t require a formal application.”

Advertisement

He further argued that the case before the High Court amounted to an abuse of judicial process since a similar matter was already pending before the Supreme Court.

The matter is premised on a case already before the Supreme Court and should therefore be struck out,” he stated.

READ ALSO:Reps Move To Regulate Cryptocurrency, POS Operations

Advertisement

Also, the counsel to UBA Plc, Mutalib Ojo (SAN), aligned with the argument, urging the Court to adjourn the case sine die (indefinitely) pending the determination of the matter at the apex court.

We observe that this suit is predicated upon a case already before the Supreme Court. Consequently, it should be adjourned sine die until the determination of that matter. UBA is not a party to the Supreme Court case; we are merely a neutral party in this process,” he submitted.

After hearing all arguments, Akintola adjourned the case till tomorrow, Friday, for ruling.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:IG Squads Occupy Secretariats As Osun LG Poll Crisis Rages

Recall that the court had earlier granted the following interim orders as sought by the claimants: An order of interim injunction restraining UBA from paying, releasing, disbursing, or tampering with funds in the disputed local government accounts.

An order of mandatory injunction directing UBA to place a “Post No Debit” restriction on all affected accounts pending the hearing of the substantive motion on notice.

Advertisement

The affected accounts include those of the 30 Local Governments in Osun State, from Atakumosa East to Osogbo, each identified by name and account number with UBA.

The suit, filed as Suit No. 1/1167/2025 before Court No. 5 of the Ibadan Judicial Division, is being handled by Olalekan Adeoye, Esq., on behalf of the claimants.

A second case on the same matter filed by the local government chairmen elected under the PDP was also adjourned for hearing tomorrow.
(PUNCH)

Advertisement

Politics

Tinubu Sends Ex-INEC Chair, Former Oyo First Lady, 30 Additional Ambassadorial Nominees To Senate

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has forwarded 32 additional ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, just days after submitting an initial batch of three names.

In two separate letters to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, the President urged the upper chamber to consider and swiftly confirm 15 career diplomats and 17 non-career nominees.

The list includes four women among the career nominees and six women among the non-career nominees.

Advertisement

Prominent names on the non-career list include Barrister Ogbonnaya Kalu from Abia State; former presidential aide, Reno Omokri (Delta); former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmud Yakubu; former Ekiti First Lady, Erelu Angela Adebayo; and former Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

READ ALSO:(VIDEO) Obasanjo To Tinubu: Why Are We Negotiating With Bandits?

Others are former Speaker of the Katsina State House of Assembly, Tasiu Musa Maigari; former Plateau State Commissioner, Yakubu N. Gambo; and former Deputy Executive Secretary of UBEC, Yakubu K. Musa.

Advertisement

Also nominated are former Plateau senator, Prof. Nora Ladi Daduut; former Lagos Deputy Governor, Otunba Femi Pedro; former Aviation Minister, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode; and Barrister Nkechi Linda Ufochukwu from Anambra State.

Additional nominees include former Oyo First Lady, Fatima Florence Ajimobi; former Lagos Commissioner, Lola Akande; former Adamawa senator, Grace Bent; former Abia governor, Victor Okezie Ikpeazu; Senator Jimoh Ibrahim of Ondo State; and former envoy to the Holy See, Ambassador Paul Oga Adikwu (Benue).

READ ALSO:FULL LIST: US To Review Green Cards From 19 ‘Countries Of Concern’ After Washington Shooting

Advertisement

The career ambassadorial nominees are Enebechi Monica Okwuchukwu (Abia), Yakubu Nyaku Danladi (Taraba), Miamuna Ibrahim Besto (Adamawa), Musa Musa Abubakar (Kebbi), Syndoph Paebi Endoni (Bayelsa), Chima Geoffrey Lioma David (Ebonyi), and Mopelola Adeola-Ibrahim (Ogun).

Others include Abimbola Samuel Reuben (Ondo), Yvonne Ehinosen Odumah (Edo), Hamza Mohammed Salau (Niger), Ambassador Shehu Barde (Katsina), Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno), Ambassador Muhammad Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna), Ambassador Olatunji Ahmed Sulu Gambari (Kwara), and Ambassador Wahab Adekola Akande (Osun).

The new nominees are expected to be deployed to countries with which Nigeria maintains strong and strategic diplomatic relations, including China, India, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, South Africa, and Kenya, as well as to Permanent Missions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, and the African Union.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Irresponsible Of You To Blame Trump Over Rising Insecurity – ADC Blasts Tinubu’s Govt

Their specific postings will be determined after Senate confirmation.

Recall that President Tinubu, last week, forwarded three ambassadorial nominees, Ambassador Ayodele Oke (Oyo), Ambassador Amin Mohammed Dalhatu (Jigawa), and retired Colonel Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun), who are being considered for postings to the UK, USA, or France.

Advertisement

President Tinubu said additional ambassadorial nominations will be announced in due course.

Continue Reading

Politics

Soludo Visits Tinubu, Goes Into Closed Door Session With President

Published

on

By

Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, on Thursday, paid a courtesy visit to the President, Bola Tinubu, GCFR at the State House.

Report by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Soludo, Mr Chris Aburime stated that President Tinubu received the Anambra State Governor with excitement, describing him as his long standing friend of over 22 years.

Aburime said, “The President used the occasion to further congratulate Governor Soludo on his landslide victory in the just concluded Anambra gubernatorial election.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:UPDATED: INEC Declares Soludo Winner Of Anambra Guber Poll

Recall that President Tinubu had earlier issued a congratulatory message to Governor Soludo immediately the governorship election was concluded.”

Governor Soludo was declared winner with 73% of the votes cast by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Other details of the meeting were, however, not disclosed as the press Secretary told DAILY POST that both men went into a closed door meeting after the reception.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

2027: I Will Resign If Tinubu Loses In Edo – Governor Okpebholo

Published

on

By

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholor has vowed that President Bola Tinubu will win the 2027 presidential election in Edo State.

Okpebholor in an interview captured in a viral video vowed to resign if the outcome of the 2027 election does not favour the president in Edo State.

According to him, the entire people in Edo State are ready to vote for the president, citing projects that his (Okpebholor) administration executed since the All Progressives Congress, APC took over the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director

He claimed that there is no opposition in the state, stressing that everyone is supporting the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections.

He said, “There is no opposition here in Edo everybody is for Asiwaju in this state.

Advertisement

“Tinubu is more popular than me in Edo state. If he doesn’t win the presidential election in Edo in 2027, I will resign.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version