Connect with us

Metro

Court Remands 16-yr-old Robbery Suspects Nicknamed ‘Oyenusi’

Published

on

An Akure Magistrate Court, in Ondo state, has ordered the remand of a 16-year-old armed robbery suspect, Sunday Ojo, nicknamed after Nigeria’s notorious armed robber, Oyenusi.

Ojo confessed that he has been involved in no fewer than 40 operations.

Advertisement

He was brought to court by men of the Ondo State Security Outfit, codenamed ‘Amotekun, over alleged housebreaking, stealing and illegal possession of a firearm

The defendant is facing a seven-count bordering on conspiracy, housebreaking, stealing and illegal possession of firearms.

According to the State Counsel, O.F Akeredolu, the defendant and others at large committed the offences between April 2022 and August 2023 at different places in Ilara-Mokin and Ijare, Ondo State.

Advertisement

Akeredolu alleged that the defendant with his armed gang had been involved in various house breaking and theft in the two communities.

READ ALSO: Tragedy As Man Shot Dead Testing Bulletproof Charm In Ondo; Ex-convict, Cultist, Police React

He said that “On August 17, 2023, Sunday at about 3pm, broke into and looted a shop at Ilara, belonging to one Esther Olaseni and stole one 3kg gas cooker, 11 spaghetti, a pack of magic detergent, packs of big toothpaste, 15 rubbers of rice, nine pieces of golden terra, two bottles of air cream and 145 cubes of chocolate.

Advertisement

“Also on April 9, 2022, Sunday and others at large broke and entered into a shop belonging to one Mrs Esho Olanireti, at Hospital junction in Ilara-Mokin and looted all the goods there.

“On April 10, 2022, the defendant and his group at about 9am broke into a house and stole an itel phone valued at N9,500, belonging to one Mrs Grace Falaye, among others ,” Akeredolu alleged.

The defendant was also said to have firearms in his possession when apprehended

Advertisement

According to the Prosecution, the offences contravened Sections 413, 383, 516 and 414 of the Criminal Laws of Ondo State, 2006 and Section 3(1) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Laws of the Federation, 2004.

Though the charges were read to him in Yoruba language, his plea was not taken.

READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Tears As Nigerian Military Buries 20 Soldiers Killed In Niger

Advertisement

Akeredolu prayed the court to remand the defendant at the Olokuta Correctional Centre, pending advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The trial Magistrate Damilola Sekoni therefore adjourned the case till September 15, for ruling on the remand application.

Recall that Ojo was arrested by the Ondo state security outfit, codenamed Amotekun, alongside two others nicknamed after notorious armed robbers three years ago.

Advertisement

They include Timileyin Femi, aka Anini, 13 years and Matti Lowe, aka Osunbo,16 years.

Sunday who was sent to juvenile home, when arrested last year by the state Amotekun, said that he has been involved in over 40 operations.

In an interview after he was re- arrested by the Amotekun corps, and paraded in Akure, the state capital, Sunday said that” l have lost count of the robbery operations I have been involved in. But they can’t be fewer than 40.

Advertisement

He claimed to be overwhelmed by evil spirit that motivates him to steal.

The state Commander of Amotekun, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, said that Sunday was a second-time armed robbery suspect.

READ ALSO: Two Men stabbed In Homophobic Attack Outside London Night Club

Advertisement

Adeleye added that the suspect who was arrested for illegal possession of firearms when he was 13 years old and was sent to juvenile home, was again arrested for burglary and stealing.

“We’ve arrested a juvenile robber, who adopted the name of notorious Nigerian armed robber, “Oyenusi” for stealing in the state.

“We rearrested a young boy we arrested three years ago and took to juvenile for illegal possession of firearms and robbery.

Advertisement

“At that time, he was 13 years. The best we could do was to hand him over to juvenile and see if he could be rehabilitated.”

Adeleye said that ” right now, he’s 16, this time around, he broke into a number of shops and removed items. Between then and now, he confessed that he had engaged in over 40 housebreaking activities”
VANGUARD

Advertisement

Metro

Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers

Published

on

By

A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.

According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.

Advertisement

It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.

READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General

A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.

Advertisement

The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.

READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage

The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.

Advertisement

However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.

Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.

The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.

Advertisement

In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.

Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.

READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide

Advertisement

It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.

The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.

Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.

Advertisement

Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.

READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap

Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.

Advertisement

Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.

As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.

However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed

On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.

The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.

Advertisement

However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.

The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute

Published

on

By

Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.

The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.

Advertisement

That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.

Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.

READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi

Advertisement

The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.

However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.

Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.

Advertisement

In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.

READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov

The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.

Advertisement

The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.

Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version