Connect with us

Metro

COVID-19: Sex Workers Suspend Business In Lagos, Abuja

Published

on

Nigeria Sex Workers Association says sex workers in the country have been forced to suspend activities, especially in Lagos and Abuja, due to the lockdown to check the spread of COVID-19.

National Coordinator of the Association, Amaka Enemo, while disclosing this to PUNCH on Tuesday said though sex workers offer “essential services” they would remain indoors because their services involve “substantial bodily contact”.

She said the association had been able to sensitise its members to the dangers of COVID-19.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Prophetess Claims Her Contact With COVID-19 Patient Brings Cure

There is sensitisation across the country, including within our network. Sex workers also offer essential services. However, there is no way sex workers can do their work without body contact. So, they are staying at home to watch what happens.

“The government has announced a lockdown and as law-abiding citizens, we will not flout the law. If the government says sit at home, we will all obey because nobody wants to die.

“We fall under essential services but ours is peculiar because of the nature of body contact. You cannot compare it to doctors because the doctors are not making full body contact with people the way we do.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Cult Clash Claims Three, Injures Scores In Delta

When asked whether only ‘street operations’ had been suspended and if private home services could continue, Enemo said the decision of the association was that “all activities be put on hold”.

The national coordinator said, “The lockdown affects street workers and those at home equally. For the sake of their health, they should all stay at home and avoid bodily contact. So, we stay at home but we are sharing materials that will keep them safe.”

When asked to evaluate the financial impact of the lockdown on sex workers, Enemo said it was the same effect it had on artisans.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Just In: COVID-19: 11 Million Nigerians To Get Palliatives, Says FG

(PUNCH)

(PHOTO: punchng.com)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Metro

PHOTOS: Many Trapped As Two-storey Building Collapses In Lagos Island

Published

on

Rescue operation is currently ongoing to save victims trapped in a two-storey building which collapsed at number 15, Iga Idungaran, close to Oba of Lagos, Rilwanu Akiolu’s palace, Lagos Island.

According to eyewitness, the unfortunate incident occurred at about 11am, Thursday.

Men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority, LASEMA, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Nigeria Police, among other emergency responders were on ground searching for survivors.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Obaseki Has Paid N147m Counterpart Fund For LIFE-ND Agric Project, Says Coordinator

Recall that the latest incident happened barely four days ago, precisely on Sunday, when a Mosque collapsed at Yusuf Street, Papa Ajao, Mushin area, killing at least three worshippers, including a 12 year-old boy in the process.

Details later…

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Terrorists Kill 12 In Kaduna Market Attack

Published

on

Terrorists, on Wednesday, reportedly attacked and killed 12 persons at Maro Junction, a weekly Market in Maro Ward, Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

A former chairman of the local government, Cafra Caino, who confirmed the development to The PUNCH, said the assailants invaded the market around 3pm on Wednesday and opened fire.

According to him, 12 bodies have been recovered while 20 others who sustained various degrees of injuries have been taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Advertisement

He explained that it was the second time the weekly market had been attacked while business owners and customers transacting businesses.

READ ALSO: ‘Misplaced Priority,’ Nigerians Slam Govt For Reinstating Old National Anthem

“The situation is critical and has thrown residents around the area into confusion while they scampered for safety in neighbouring villages.

“Security operatives drafted to the area have already left. We are appealing to the government to deploy security operatives to help restore normalcy,” he said.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Mansir Hassan, did not respond to calls and text messages sent to him by The PUNCH correspondent as of the time of filling this report.

Continue Reading

Metro

VIDEO: Three Arrested For Accusing Delta Policemen Of Stealing N50m Gold Chains

Published

on

The Delta State Police Command has arrested three men for wrongly accusing some of its officers of stealing their gold chains, supposedly worth N50 million, during a stop-and-search operation.

The command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Edafe Bright, disclosed this in a post, accompanied by a video, on X.com on Tuesday.

His caption read, “So yesterday, these three guys were accosted by men of RRS, searched, and allowed to go, only for them to come back later in the evening, alleging that their gold worth N50m was stolen by the policemen.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Delta Police Arrest Suspected Robbers, Cultist

“The policemen were humiliated for simply doing their job; well, the rest is history. “Please watch for the full gist.”

In the video, Edafe explained that the gold chains were later found in the possession of the suspects when they came back to the RRS office to accuse the officers of theft.

The driver in whose pocket the gold chains were found also claimed that the chains were given to him before they got to the RRS checkpoint.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Delta Police Arrest Drug Dealer, Seize Huge Stash On Highway

He added that later on, one of them, Nnamdi, said he couldn’t find his gold when he wanted to change his clothes.

“I called his brother to ask if those were the gold he (Nnamdi) was looking for, but he said no. So when we came back to the RRS office, the chains were found in my inner pocket,” he explained, speaking in pidgin.

 

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending