Connect with us

News

Cultists Arrested For Invading Anambra Hotel With Charms

Published

on

No fewer than 11 members of a suspected cult group allegedly terrorising the people of Ihembosi community in Ekwusigo Local Government Area of Anambra State have been arrested by operatives of the Zone 13 Police Headquarters, Ukpo, Anambra State.

The suspects were arrested for allegedly invading the premises of Las Vegas Hotels Limited at Ubahu village in the area.

Advertisement

About 12 other members of the group are said to be currently on the run as the police operatives are still trailing them.

According to a police source, who refused to be mentioned because he was not authorised to speak for the agency, the arrest of the suspects was carried out on Monday, following a strongly worded petition to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in-charge of Zone 13 Police Command, Godwin Aghaulor. The Zone 13 Police Command controls police formations in Anambra, Enugu and some parts of Ebonyi states.

Aghaulor, who confirmed the arrests of the suspects in his office, on Thursday, said the police would carry out discreet investigations into the matter to ascertain the motives behind the action, while a manhunt had been launched to apprehend the fleeing gangsters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Tinubu Appoints Jim Ovia As Student Loan Fund Chairman

The Proprietor of Las Vegas Hotels Limited, Chief Omenife Onwuatu, had through his legal counsel, PJN Azubuike, petitioned the AIG seeking his intervention to curb the menace of the cultist group who he said went to the extreme of invading his hotel on March 10, 2024 with about 12 motorcycles, charms, cudgels, cutlasses, axes and other dangerous weapons and terrorised the owners, management and staff of the hotel, threatening to kill anyone at sight.

Onwuatu, who is also the Chairman of Ubahu village, had earlier warned the group to stop performing rituals in front of the stream in the area and to relocate their shrine to its base but his warning did not go down well with the suspects whom he simply identified as “idol worshippers, who earn their living through rituals.”

Advertisement

In the petition dated April 16, 2024, entitled, “Threat to life, cultism, terrorism, ritualism, threat of arson, conspiracy, forcible entry, trial by ordeal, assault, malicious damage and conduct likely to cause breach of peace,” the hotel proprietor lamented that during the invasion, the suspects forced open his hotel gate and deposited the charms at the entrance and premises of the hotel.

The petition read in part, “They chanted war songs, threatened to burn down the hotel and its premises, performed so many incantations and rituals in front of the hotel and its premises and passed death sentences on the owners and occupants of our client and thereafter escaped.”

READ ALSO: Two Fake Police Inspectors Arrested In Edo

Advertisement

“Before the invasion, the suspects had earlier in the day unlawfully assembled themselves in various locations in the town where they organised and planned the invasion, assembled their weapons, demonstrated their charms, chanted war songs and passed death sentences on the leadership of the community before setting out to invade the hotel premises which they variously threatened to burn down.”

The petition noted that to make matters worse, the suspects captured their atrocities in a video and sent in to the internet in order to display their impunity, intimidate the operators and customers of the hotel and put extreme fear in them to force them to abandon the premises or come and negotiate with them.

“The negative effect of this is that the Managing Director of the hotel, other directors, managers and staff, as well as the customers, were thrown into extreme fear for their dear lives. While the customers of the hotel at the time of the incident hurriedly checked out, others who heard or saw the incident completely avoided the hotel and cancelled their bookings and the Goodwill of the hotel proprietor and her fortune were maliciously destroyed and damaged,” it stated.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Outrage As Kingsmen Flogged Anambra Man To Death [VIDEO]

The petitioner therefore requested the AIG to use his good offices to apprehend all the members of the gang and recover their tools and implements to bring them to book and nip in the bud their plans to kill the hotel operators and leaders of the community and burn down the premises of Las Vegas Hotels Limited.

As of Monday, the day the suspects were arrested, pleas by counsel for the suspects, Ibuchi Ewuzue for the police to release the suspects on bail were turned down as the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the Zonal Criminal Investigations Department, was said to have ordered that the suspects should remain in detention until after investigations.
PUNCH

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

By

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version