Connect with us

Metro

Cultists Who Beheaded Rival, Played Soccer With Head Arrested

Published

on

Police operatives in Anambra State have reportedly arrested two suspected cultists, who participated in the killing of a rival cultist, beheading and playing soccer with his head last year.

A video had trended last year September, showing some young men, suspected to be cultists, who dragged out another young man, suspected to be a member of a rival cult group, gunned him down in cold blood, after which they beheaded him.

Another part of the video showed the young men playing soccer with the head of the dreadlocks-carrying rival cultist, after he had been beheaded, while making jest of it.

Advertisement

Sources said the incident had happened in Igbariam, Anambra East Local Government Area, same community that hosts the State-owned university, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU), while the head was taken to the State capital, Awka, where the youths used it to play.

In a video currently trending, two young cultists: Chisom Okafor and Ikechukwu Chinweze, aged 23 and 19 who were being questioned by men suspected to be police officers, they accepted to being members of Ayes cult and that they have participated in several killings.

READ ALSO: How I Spent My First 100 Days Fighting Insecurity In Anambra – Soludo

Advertisement

23-year-old Chisom Okafor, was seen in the video confessing: “I’m also known as Stamina. I’m from Igboukwu, but my mum is from Awka. I am 23 years old. I belong to Ayes cult group, and have killed only three people before.”

He named two persons out of the three he has killed. They include Edu Obara and Savage. Both are suspected cultists who were murdered in 2021 and beheaded in like manner. While Edu Obara was killed in Igbariam, Savage was killed and beheaded in Oko, Orumba North Local Government Area, and his trunk taken to Awka.

He continued in his confession: “I was among the cultists who went to Obj’s place (just nickname) and killed some security men. We were seven in number that went for the operation. I dropped out of school, but I’m a tiler, and I do tiling very well.”

Advertisement

Okafor in the video also mentioned the names of the seven members of their cult who participated in the operation against security men.

Another cultist, who was also interviewed in the video said: “I’m Ikechukwu Chinweze, I’m 19 years, from Umuzocha in Awka. I’m a school leaver, I was learning phone repairs before I met Chisom here in Ifite.”

Meanwhile, some residents of Anambra State have stated that the man named Savage, who was killed last year, was the same person, whose head was used to play soccer, suggesting that the now arrested cultists were responsible for the act.

Advertisement

Iyke Orji, an Anambra indigene said: “Some group of boys have been caught and at state CID Awka now.

“They confessed that they’re the boys that were playing ball with human skull some time ago that went viral on social media,

“They confessed that they were the boys that attacked and killed security men at Miracle Junction Awka.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Drama As 150 Widows Beg Anambra Reps Candidate To ‘Marry’ Them

“They confessed that they killed someone (Savage) at Oko, took the body from Oko to Awka and decapitated the body at Amaenyi Awka.

“One of them is 19. None is above 25.”

Advertisement

A source said the venue of the interview was at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), but when DAILY POST reached out to the State police command to verify the video, the spokesperson of the command, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga pleaded for time to do so.

As of the time of filing this report, the PPRO, Ikenga was yet to get back to our correspondent.

Advertisement

Metro

Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Published

on

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.

The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.

According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.

Advertisement

Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.

READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course

A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.

Advertisement

There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.

As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.

NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers

The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.

Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.

Advertisement

According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano

Published

on

Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.

The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.

According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.

Advertisement

He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.

READ ALSO:

Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.

Advertisement

“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.

Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.

The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos

Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.

Advertisement

On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.

The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.

The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan

A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.

The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.

Advertisement

“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.

“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Protest In Enugu Community As gunmen Kidnap Five Villagers, Injure One

Published

on

Some women in Ezimo community, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu State, on Saturday, staged a protest over the alleged kidnap of five residents and the shooting of another during an attack on the community.

The protesters, who marched through major parts of the community, said the incident had heightened fear and insecurity in the area.

One victim of the attack is currently receiving treatment in the hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enugu Gov Mbah Set to Dump PDP

A social media influencer, ‘Sen.’ Chijinkem Ugwuanyi, made this known via Facebook on Saturday.

Ugwuanyi revealed that resident who confirmed the incident said recent cases of abductions and shootings had left the community unsafe, prompting the women to demand urgent government intervention.

Advertisement

In a video shared on Ugwuanyi’s Facebook page, the protesters called on the Enugu State Government and security agencies to step in and restore peace, warning that residents could no longer live under constant fear of attacks.

Continue Reading

Trending