Connect with us

Metro

Delta Anti-cult Volunteer Killed At Burial Rites

Published

on

A member of the Anti-cult Volunteers Group in Abraka, Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, Israel Iruaga, has died following gunshot injuries sustained from an accidental discharge at a procession marking the burial rites of their late commandant.

The local commandant, Ufuoma Oghenede, reportedly died on Monday while the candle light service was held for him on Wednesday.

However, sources said that an accidental discharge hit Israel during the farewell parade for the deceased commandant on Wednesday and he (Israel) was instantly rushed to a hospital in Abraka for medical attention.

Advertisement

It was gathered that as his case got worsened after an x-ray result from the Government Hospital, Eku, showed that his condition was critical, he was referred to the Federal Medical Centre, Asaba, where he eventually gave up the ghost on Saturday morning.

Confirming the death to journalists, a family member who would not want his name in print said that the deceased who was in his late 20s was hit by the accidental discharge “around the stomach or waist”.

READ ALSO: Mob Hacks Alleged Thief To Death In Delta

He said, “The bullet hit him somewhere around the stomach or waist. The family however is yet to take any decision since the news is just reaching them.

Advertisement

“No feedback, no eye witness report. They thought it was a minor issue, not knowing some of his major organs had been destroyed by the bullets.

“The deceased is a single, struggling young man without a wife or children.”

Meanwhile, the corpse of the deceased was said to have been removed from the Federal Medical Centre, Asaba and deposited in a morgue in the Abraka community, awaiting burial by the family.

The Police Public Relations Officer for Delta State Command, DSP Bright Edafe, could not be reached for comments on the incident as of the time of filing this report.

Advertisement

Metro

BREAKING: Corp Members Escape Death As NYSC Hostel Collapses In Ekiti

Published

on

Some Corps members deployed to Ekiti State narrowly escaped death on Friday morning when the wall of the female hostel of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp collapsed on them.

The corp members recuperating in the clinic inside the orientation camp were said to have been rescued by their male counterparts who retrieved them from the rubbles.

One of the sources said: ”Yes the wall of one of the female hostels collapsed this morning (Friday) . It was the bathroom wall which caved in when they were planning to take their bath.

Advertisement

” But thank God, people rushed down there to retrieve them from the rubbles. They have been stabilized at the clinic and they will get further medical treatments.”

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Scores Injured As School Building Collapses In Plateau

An official of the NYSC who spoke on anonymity confirmed the incident, saying only two corps members were affected and recuperating in the camp’s clinic.

He said there have been persistent calls by the leadership of NYSC in Ekiti State for the renovation of the dilapidated hostels but all the calls proved abortive

Advertisement

He called on parents and guardians not to panic over the incident, adding that it had no serious negative impact on the corps members.

The corps members are in the camp for the three-week compulsory orientation camp for those posted to the State.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

BREAKING: Scores Injured As School Building Collapses In Plateau

Published

on

A two-storey building housing Saints Academy School located in Busa Buji, Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State collapsed on Friday morning, leaving scores injured.

The building caved in while school was in session as the secondary school students were receiving lectures.

READ ALSO: Many Trapped As Two-storey Building Collapses In Anambra Market

Advertisement

A two-storey building housing secondary school students collapsed while school was in session in Busa Buji of Jos North LGA of Plateau State.

Rescue operation is underway as security agencies and rescue operators battle with excavators to rescue students and teachers buried under the rubble.

The number of casualty figures has yet to be ascertained

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Metro

JUST IN: Ex-Power Minister Collapses Outside Courtroom, Proceeding Stalled

Published

on

The arraignment of Mr Saleh Mamman, former Minister of Power under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, was, on Thursday, stalled at a Federal High Court, Abuja, due to ill-health.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mamman, whose plea was fixed for Thursday morning, collapsed outside the courtroom before the case was called.

The former minister’s counsel, Femi Ate, SAN, told Justice James Omotosho shortly when the matter was called for Mamman to take his plea.

Advertisement

Upon resumed hearing, the ex-minister walked into the courtroom and stepped into the dock with part of his clothes drenched.

Justice Omotosho then asked why Mamman was sweating or whether it was raining outside.

READ ALSO: UPDATED: Supreme Court Grants LG Financial Autonomy

The former minister, who responded from the dock, said water was poured on him.

Advertisement

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)’s lawyer, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN, while addressing the court, said though the matter was fixed for Mamman’s arraignment, there was a development outside the courtroom.

Olumide-Fusika said he had discussion with Ate outside the courtroom about Mamman’s ill-health.

I was informed of an incident outside. I will want my learner senior advocate to tell the honourable court himself,” he said.

Speaking, Ate said Mamman, “upon being brought into the premises of the court collapsed and had to be resusitated and treated by the medical personnel of the Federal High Court.”

Advertisement

He said his client was served with the charge after he was resusitated.

He was served this morning,” he added.

READ ALSO: NDDC Summit: Pay Special Attention To Project Design In Riverine Areas, Otuaro Appeals To Stakeholders

The senior lawyer said he sought the understanding of Olumide-Fusika for an adjournment so that the arraignment could be done on Monday when his client would have been okay.

Advertisement

But the judge said due to the workload in the court dockets, the arraignment could only be fixed for September ending.

Ate then withdrew the oral application for an adjournment.

Olumide-Fusika said he had just filed an amended charge earlier in the morning following a mistake in the name of the defendant and prayed the court that the fresh charge be read to Mamman to take his plea but Justice Omotosho disagreed with him.

The judge, however, asked Mamman if he was fit enough to take his plea today and he responded in affirmative.

Advertisement

The former minister explained to the court that he collapsed outside the courtroom because of the drugs he took when he had not eaten, and while he was outside the courtroom waiting to be called, his blood pressure dropped.

Mamman, however, said he was fit to continue with the arraignment.

“It can happen to any one,” the judge said.

READ ALSO: BREAKING States Lose As Supreme Court Rules On LG Financial Autonomy

Advertisement

The ex-minister told the court that he called the attention of his lawyer to the error made by the EFCC on the name in the charge served on him.

“I was complaining about the name, that it was not my own,” he said.

Justice Omotosho then stepped down the arraignment until 1pm today.

NAN reports that the EFCC had filed a 12-count money laundering charge against the Mamman.

Advertisement

He was alleged to have committed the money laundering offences to the tune of N33 billion.

The former minister served under former President Buhari from 2019 to 2021.

READ ALSO: NDDC Summit: Pay Special Attention To Project Design In Riverine Areas, Otuaro Appeals To Stakeholders

On May 10, 2021, he was arrested and detained at the headquarters of the anti-graft agency in Abuja.

Advertisement

Buhari had September 1, 2021, sacked Mamman and the then Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Sabo Nanono, in what was called a cabinet restructuring.

Mamman was accused of conspiring with staff of the ministry in charge of the accounts of the Zungeru and Mambilla Hydro Electric Power projects to divert about N22 billion.

The investigations uncovered property in Nigeria and overseas allegedly linked to the suspects, while millions of naira and dollars had reportedly been recovered.
(NAN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending