Connect with us

Metro

Edo Agency Intercepts 14-yr-old Sickle Cell Sufferer, Others, Trafficked To Libya, Mali

Published

on

Edo State Migration Agency has intercepted a 14-year-old sickle cell sufferer and a 13-year-old girl being trafficked to Libya by a human trafficking syndicate.

Presenting the minors (name withheld) before newsmen on Thursday in Benin, Director-General of the agency, Lucky Agazuma, said the agency heard about the case, swung into action and was able to intercept them in Zaria, Kaduna State.

He said, “The question is, how would a sickle cell girl survive in the desert. The good news is that when we brought them back, they were smart enough to come back with some evidence of receipts of the transport companies they are using in this state to traffic minors out. Based on this evidence, we have already reached out to many transport companies that they shouldn’t involve themselves in this devilish act.”

Advertisement

Agazuma, who said the agency will not fold its arm and watch Edo children trafficked out of the country at a time the state government is spending billions of naira to make sure Edo children have access to quality education, noted that all suspects arrested in connection with the case will be prosecuted in line with the appropriate laws.

READ ALSO:Police Vows To Arrest Killers of NSCDC Officers In Edo

The DG, while urging members of the public to report any suspicious case of human traffic to the agency, warned: “If you’re a trafficker, be warned that we are very close to you. It is better if you move away from Edo State.”

Advertisement

The 14-year-old sickle cell sufferer narrated that a boy in the area came to inform her that he wanted to take her and her friend to Libya, warning that they shouldn’t inform their parents until they get to Libya, and when they get there they will call their parents phone as a surprise.

She added that he thereafter took two of them to a lady who took their photo graph and sent via phone to another person who complained of her health, but the lady with them assured the person at the other end that she was healthy.

According to the minor, they were thereafter asked to go and take their bath, after which they went back to the lady who took them to the motor park, bought them food and hijab, and handed them over to a vehicle en route to Kano with a phone number of who to contact.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Edo Sports Commission Chairman Felicitates Tenebe On Birthday

She said they were on their way when calls from both the boy and lady came in, asking them to come back because their mother had been arrested, and that they will not release the lady’s mother until they return home.

The minor added that when they eventually got to Zaira, they called the contact person who asked them to come, but the lady at the other end called and asked them to return home, adding that the lady thereafter transferred money to a driver in the park who brought them back home.

Advertisement

One of the suspects who identified herself as Comfort Etim, 49, who said she was innocent of the children being trafficked, however, said that the boy actually brought the girls to her daughter with the claim that they were his sisters and that he wanted them to be taken abroad.

Mrs. Etim, who claimed she was never aware that the children were to be trafficked abroad, confessed that her daughter (who is at large) had so far trafficked six minors abroad.

READ ALSO:Gunmen Kill NSCDC Personnel In Edo, Abduct Expatriate

Advertisement

In a related development, the agency also paraded a 18-year-old girl who was deceived of a sale girl job in Lagos but unfortunately trafficked to Mali.

Narrating her ordeal, Joseph Faith said she was promised a sales girl job in Lagos but when they got to Lagos the woman who took her from Afuze, Edo State, proceeded to Cotonou and from there to Mali.

She said the woman in Cotonou handed her over to a Mali going to Mali and returned back to Nigeria, adding that what she said in Mali was different from what she was told she was going to be doing.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Edo Community Leadership Crisis Claims Two

“I arrived at Mali around 10PM, they then took me to a woman. When we got there, what she told me I was going to be doing was quite different from what I saw. What the woman uses girls in her place for was prostitution, so I told the woman that I can’t do it, and that I want to go back home. The woman told me that before I can go back home, the woman in Nigeria needs to bring another person to replace me.

“I was there for three weeks. I was starving. That was when I ran to the police station to report, and the police put me in a vehicle back in Nigeria.”

Advertisement

Asked how she survived for the three weeks she spent in Mali, she said: “It was not easy for me. Since I refused to do it (prostitution) she refused to feed me. So, I used to come out at night, and people gave me money. This is how I survived.”

 

Advertisement

Metro

Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

Published

on

Chaos erupted at the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary for Ward 10, Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday.

Electoral officials halted the process and declared it inconclusive after violence broke out among party supporters.

The primary pitted Olushola Fatoba against Tope Ogunleye, widely known as RST. Loyalists and agents of both aspirants had converged on Fajuyi Pavilion before voting was scheduled to begin.

Advertisement

According to eyewitnesses, tensions rose when suspected thugs allegedly backing Fatoba stormed the venue wielding canes and firearms. Their arrival appeared aimed at intimidating Ogunleye’s supporters and suppressing turnout.

READ ALSO:APC Clears Wike Loyalists, Disqualifies All Fubara-aligned Aspirants For State Assembly

Despite the hostile atmosphere, Ogunleye’s backers held their ground, chanting solidarity songs in support of their candidate. Voting eventually started under heavy tension.

Advertisement

Observers at the scene said Ogunleye seemed to have the larger share of support among members present, with his base visibly outnumbering the opposition.

Violence broke out after Fatoba’s camp allegedly sensed an imminent loss. Clashes between both groups forced an abrupt end to voting.

During the unrest, Ogunleye’s agent, Mr. Sunday, was assaulted. Another member, Mr. Femi Ogunleye, was reportedly beaten and his Tecno Spark 9 phone seized. A female supporter, Mrs. Oluwaseun Osamuwa, was also attacked and her Apple Smart Wrist Watch stolen. Both Mr. Femi Ogunleye and Mrs. Osamuwa sustained injuries and were rushed to hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Rumblings In APC Over Aborted Deal With Lawmakers

As of press time, no winner had emerged and the Ward 10 primary remained inconclusive.

The violence has renewed concerns over thuggery and intimidation in internal party elections. Party members and political observers say the incident raises serious questions about voters’ ability to freely choose candidates without fear.

Advertisement

Stakeholders are calling on security agencies and electoral authorities to probe the disruption, ensure justice for those attacked, and safeguard the credibility of future primaries.

Continue Reading

Metro

My Wife Destroyed My Property, Instigated Our Children To Beat Me, Man Tells Court

Published

on

The Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting in Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has delivered judgment in a divorce suit filed by a man, Theophilus, against his wife, Aina, whom she accused of lack of affection, frequent quarrels, and domestic violence.

According to Theophilus, Aina was stubborn and always insisted on having things her own way.

He further said that she was disobedient and refused to listen to him.

Advertisement

The plaintiff also told the court that the defendant was hostile towards their friends and neighbours, which often led to conflicts between them.

READ ALSO:My Wife Attempted Suicide, Turned Our Children Against Me ‘Cos I Suddenly Became Poor —Husband

He further claimed that Aina was violent and would attack him with any object within her reach during disagreements.

Advertisement

In addition, he accused her of destroying his property whenever they had differences.

Theophilus also explained that Aina turned their children against him.

He stated that they assaulted him and damaged his belongings.

Advertisement

He told the court that he eventually left their home because he feared for his safety and believed that the defendant intended to harm him.

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

The plaintiff therefore appealed to the court to dissolve their marriage and also requested an order restraining Aina from threatening him or interfering with his privacy.

Advertisement

Aina was absent from court despite being served court summons.

Theophilus, while giving his testimony before the court, stated, “I have not enjoyed peace or rest of mind since I married my wife.

“I paid her bride price to her family, but they rejected it.

Advertisement

“My wife is far from being a virtuous woman.

“She was never submissive and was always full of herself.

READ ALSO:My Wife Of 22yrs Denies Me Sex —Husband

Advertisement

She had no respect for me and disobeyed my instructions whenever she wished.

“She neither listened to me nor accepted my advice.

“My wife was also violent.

Advertisement

“During disagreements, she attacked me with any dangerous object she could lay her hands on.

“On three different occasions, Aina destroyed my property.

“Our neighbours and friends were not exempt from her hostility.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Being Caught By Lover’s Husband

She was constantly at loggerheads with them and fought with them on several occasions.

“My wife also turned our children against me.

Advertisement

“They beat me mercilessly and nearly killed me.

“They also destroyed my belongings.

“I left the house after the incident because it became obvious that my wife wanted me dead.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

“I came to court to seek the dissolution of our marriage because my wife’s presence in my life has brought me nothing but pain and suffering.

“I sincerely appeal to the court to dissolve our marriage.

Advertisement

“I also request an order restraining her from threatening me or interfering with my privacy.”

The Court President, Mrs. O. E. Owoseni, while delivering judgment, stated that there was no valid marriage to dissolve because no marital rites were performed, and no bride price was paid.

Owoseni also issued an order restraining the defendant from threatening or interfering with the plaintiff’s private life

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Metro

‘I Have Nowhere To Go, He Married Me At 14yrs Old, Now He Wants Divorce 30yrs After’

Published

on

A 44-year-old woman, Zainab Isah, has told a Shari’a Court 1 sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, that she had nowhere to go after her divorce from her husband, Alhaji Abdulhamid.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Zainab told the court that Abdulhamid married her when she was 14 years old.

“I have been married to him for 30 years now and our union is blessed with 10 children,” she stated.

Advertisement

She further said that her husband divorced her on January 1.

READ ALSO:My Husband Disappeared From Home For Six Years, Left Me, Our Children To Starve — Wife

“I am yet to complete my waiting period (Iddah), as required under Islam.

Advertisement

“I lived in peace with my co-wives but I can’t leave my children for them; three of my children are sick,” she said.

Earlier , Abdulrashid Musa, counsel to Abdulhamid, prayed the court to compel Zainab to leave his house since they were no longer married.

He said he had issued two pronouncement of divorce to the defendant.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:After Divorce, She Became A Tenant In My House —Ex-husband

The first, he said was pronounced on December 29, 2025, adding that she had finished her Iddah.

He stated that all efforts made by him to ensure she leaves his house, failed.

Advertisement

He alleged that she was causing trouble for his other wives.

READ ALSO:My Wife Swore To Kill Me, Stopped Cooking For Me — Husband

The complainant however, told the court that he was ready to pay for his ex wife’s rent when she gets a new place to live with her children.

Advertisement

The judge, Malam Mu’awiya Shehu said the rights of a woman for shelter, feeding and other provisions by the husband ends when divorce occur adding that only the children have the right to be taken care of .

He adjourned the matter to June 1 for the defendant to find a new place she can relocate to with her children.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending