Headline
Edo: LIFE-ND Trains 250 Persons In Agric Business, Empowers 82 With Working Capital
Published
4 years agoon
By
Editor
By Joseph Kanjo, Benin
The State Project Coordinator, Livelihood Improvement Family Enterprises in the Niger Delta (LIFE–ND), Mr. Jude Ekpu, says no fewer than 250 persons known as ‘incubatees’ have been trained in various agric businesses such as fishery, poultry, cassava production and rice production in Edo State within one year.
According to him, under the project in Edo State, no fewer than 82 incubates have been disbursed working capital after the training, adding that when others are done with their training, they would be disbursed too.
He added that 10 local government areas out of the 18 in the state have been selected for the implementation of the project with 10 communities selected in each LGA for the project.
INFO DAILY reports that LIFE-ND is a Project for the Niger Delta designed in collaboration with Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) and the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) with counterpart fund from Edo State Government.
The state Project Coordinator who disclosed this in Benin, during the weekend, at an interactive session with newsmen, noted that the project is aimed at “developing supply of skilled youth labour using the incubation model which, according to him, is to ensure a successful rural agrobusiness.”
READ ALSO: CAN: Fish Out 61 Abducted Baptist Worshippers, Or …
He noted that this is to be “conducted in a way to mentor neighbouring youths to produce greater volumes, leading to higher value enterprises and community incomes, and jobs for the youth.” (sic)
“Within a year of our activities as a project office, the State Project has trained 250 incubatees and 50 incubators, with 125 incubatees and 25 incubators trained in two sets.
“Over 50 communities have donated land resource for effective project implementation. Over 1800 hectares of land has been secured under our land identification and land securing process as farmland for the incubatees. (sic)
“The target beneficiaries of the LIFE-ND project are youths and women in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria. The target beneficiaries are the unemployed and under-employed youth aged 18-35 years and unemployed women who are heads of household with children less than 15 years of age.
“The percentage distribution of targets beneficiaries are as follows: -50% male youth, -20% female (women) and -30% female youths,” he said.
On her part, the National Agrobusiness Promotion Coordinator, LIFE-ND, Mrs Esenwa Anthinia, said, “Our target is for about 4,250 youths and women-headed households to benefit from the project. Some of the incubatees, it is hoped, will later become incubators in the project after being empowered.”
She noted that, “The project came to Edo State following the success of the previously sponsored IFAD Programme, Community Based Natural Resource Management Programme – Niger Delta (CBNRMP-ND).”
Earlier, the Communication Officer of the project in Edo State, Mr. Benedict Akhamie, solicited media support and cooperation, stressing that if LIFE-ND is not projected to the public through the media, no one will know such project exist.
READ ALSO: Community Rises To End Gender Based Violence
You may like
Headline
Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
Published
1 minute agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
US President Donald Trump has moved to block $5 billion of congressionally-approved foreign aid, the White House said Friday — raising the likelihood of a federal shutdown as Democrats oppose the policy.
The cuts “affect programs of the Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development,” Trump wrote in a letter to the House of Representatives.
The Republican president “will always put AMERICA FIRST,” the White House Office of Management and Budget said on social media, releasing a copy of the letter.
The Trump administration has effectively dismantled USAID, the chief US foreign aid agency, since taking office.
READ ALSO:Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes
Founded in 1961 as John F. Kennedy sought to leverage aid to win over the developing world in the Cold War, USAID has been incorporated into the State Department after Secretary of State Marco Rubio slashed 85 percent of its programming.
Trump, after taking office for the second time in January, launched a sweeping campaign to downsize or dismantle swaths of the US government.
Republicans control both chambers of Congress, but need Democrat support in the Senate to pass new spending laws.
READ ALSO:Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case
Trump, deploying a little-tested legislative tactic, has sought to claw back the spending late in the fiscal year so that Congress may not have time to vote before the funding expires next month.
Democrats have warned that any attempt to reverse funding already approved by Congress would end any negotiations to avoid budgetary paralysis, the so-called shutdown, after September 30.
The United States last averted shutdown, with hours to spare, in March.
Shutdowns are rare but disruptive and costly, as everyday functions like food inspections halt, and parks, monuments and federal buildings shut up shop.
Headline
Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
Published
1 day agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Trump administration has unveiled a proposal that would restrict the length of time international students can remain in the United States for their studies.
According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the regulation, which is expected to be published on Thursday, would impose a four-year cap on student visas and other categories of temporary admissions.
According to Fox News, the DHS said the proposal is part of efforts to curb “visa abuse” and strengthen the government’s ability to “properly vet and oversee these individuals.”
READ ALSO:Why I Plotted President Trump’s Assassination – 50-yr-old Woman
It added that some students have “taken advantage of U.S. generosity” and become “forever” students by staying enrolled in colleges to prolong their residence.
“For too long, past Administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the U.S. virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amount of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging U.S. citizens,” a DHS spokesperson stated.
“This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the U.S., easing the burden on the federal government to properly oversee foreign students and their history,” the spokesperson continued.
Currently, F visa holders may stay in the U.S. for the “duration of status,” meaning the period they are enrolled full-time. The new proposal would allow stays for the length of a programme but would not permit them to exceed four years, generally less than the time needed for postgraduate studies.
READ ALSO:Trump, Putin Make No Breakthrough On Ukraine Deal, End Summit
Foreign journalists would also be affected. Under the plan, they would receive an initial admission period of 240 days, with the possibility of a single extension for another 240 days, but not longer than their assignment.
The DHS said regular assessments would provide “proper oversight” and help reduce the number of people residing in the U.S. on temporary visas.
But education experts warned the measure could hurt universities financially. International students typically pay higher tuition and have fewer opportunities for scholarships, which contributes significantly to the financial support of American colleges.
“It will certainly act as an additional deterrent to international students choosing to study in the United States, to the detriment of American economies, innovation, and global competitiveness,” Fanta Aw, executive director and CEO of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, said in a statement to Politico.
Headline
Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes
Published
1 day agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
Russian forces launched a “massive” attack on Kyiv on Thursday, hitting the Ukrainian capital with strikes that killed at least four people and wounded around 30 others, Ukrainian officials said.
The attack came as Moscow and Kyiv traded blame over an impasse in diplomatic efforts towards a peace deal spearheaded by US President Donald Trump.
AFP journalists in Kyiv witnessed powerful explosions that illuminated the night sky and left behind a column of smoke.
Ukraine’s Interior Minister Igor Klymenko said the strikes killed four people and wounded “about 30 people.”
READ ALSO:Russia Claims More Ukraine Land As Hopes For Summit Fade
Those killed included a 14-year-old girl, while five children aged seven to 17 were among those who sustained “injuries of varying severity,” Tymur Tkachenko, the head of the city’s military administration, said.
Mayor Vitali Klitschko described the strikes as a “massive attack” that caused damage in several districts of the capital.
Tkachenko said Moscow had fired ballistic and cruise missiles as well as Iranian-designed Shahed drones from different directions to “systematically” target residential buildings.
Red tracer bullets sailed through the night sky in an effort to intercept drones above the city centre, an AFP journalist saw. At least one missile appeared to be shot down.
READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region
Around 100 people took refuge in a subway station, with some lying in sleeping bags and others holding their pets.
A five-story building in the Darnytsky district had collapsed, and a shopping mall was hit in the city centre, Klitschko reported.
– Ukrainian attacks on Russia –
Kyiv suffered one of its worst attacks of the over three-year war on July 31, leaving more than 30 people dead including five children.
Ukrainian officials also reported a Russian strike in the southeastern Zaporizhzhia region on Thursday.
READ ALSO:Russia, Ukraine Exchange Prisoners Of War, Civilians
Russian authorities said they destroyed over 100 Ukrainian drones overnight. A Ukrainian attack sparked a fire at an oil refinery in the Krasnodar region but caused no casualties, according to local officials.
Russian forces have been slowly but steadily gaining ground in Ukraine in recent months, as diplomatic efforts have accelerated.
Trump held a high-profile summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska this month, followed by a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky and European allies.
But there has been little progress since then.
Before concluding any peace agreement, Ukraine wants security guarantees from the West to deter any future Russian attacks.
READ ALSO:Russian Politicians Mock European Leaders After White House, Ukraine Talks
Moscow has cast Kyiv’s demands as unrealistic and has raised particular objection to the notion of stationing Western peacekeeping troops in Ukraine.
Zelensky said on Wednesday that members of his administration would meet with US officials in New York on Friday.
The Ukrainian leader said he saw “very arrogant and negative signals from Moscow regarding the negotiations”, urging extra “pressure” to “force Russia to take real steps”.
AFP
- Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
- INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
- Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
- Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
- DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
- Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
- Why I’d Choose Tinubu Over Obi – Adeyanju
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro5 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Metro5 days ago
Youths Uncover Man Chained By Father For Five Years In Anambra