Connect with us

Latest news

EndSARS: Man Allegedly Shot By Police Demands N100m Compensation

Published

on

Miracle Ailenokhuoria, a fashion designer, who was allegedly deliberately shot by the police in Ekpoma during the EndSARS protest has appealed to the Edo State Judicial Panel of Inquiry for victims of SARS and related abuses to grant his N100m compensation request to take care of his medical needs.

The victim has been reportedly bed-ridden at the Irrua Specialists Teaching Hospital in Irrua, Edo State since October 9, 2020, when the incident happened.

Presenting petition number JPI/086/Edo/2020 before the 22-member panel on Thursday in Benin City, Counsel to the victim, Dennis Osaretin, Esq., said the police deliberately shot his client without any form of provocation in the presence of some witnesses in Ekpoma.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: Woman Whose Husband Missing For Eight Years Demands N20m Compensation

“On October 9, 2020, at about 5pm after the close of the day’s business, we were reliably informed that our client walked towards the market square to take a commercial motorcycle home.

“Suddenly, one police officer who was later identified as Sergeant Ade and another police officer whose name is unknown from the Area Command Police Division in Ekpoma pounced on him, gave him the beating of his life, and shot him on his thigh.

“They left him in a pool of his blood, but for bystanders who rushed him to Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital where he has been on emergency treatment ever since,” the lawyer said
.
Mr Osaretin said efforts to get the police in Edo to investigate the matter had proved abortive as there had been deliberate attempts to sweep the issue under the carpet.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: 47-year-old Man Wrongly Paraded By Police Demands N50m Compensation

“All attempts to make entry both at the Divisional Police Station and the Area Commander at Ekpoma by the mother of the victim where the said officers were believed to still be serving has been frustrated that is why this petition,” Mr Osaretin stressed.

He told the panel that he volunteered to take up the matter on a pro bono legal service basis when he discovered that a lot of victims that suffered police brutality during the EndSARS protests were helpless.

The lawyer said the bed-ridden victim suffered a severe fracture on his thigh and expended pellet from a police gun, adding that the medical bills have been solely bored by the family since the unfortunate incident.

Advertisement

“The victim had a severe fracture on his thigh and the expended pellet from the police gun is still lodged in his thigh. The medical bills have been solely bored by our client’s family who has remained distraught and traumatized by the incident,” he lamented.

Mr Osaretin told the panel that the injury inflicted on his client amounted to gross violation of his right to dignity, liberty and freedom of movement, and right to life.

READ ALSO: EndSARS: Man, 59, Inspector Of Police Demand Compensation

“We shall be demanding for the sum of N100m only as compensation for the gunshot injuries sustained by Mr Ailenokhuoria,” he added.

Advertisement

Counsel to the Police, Polycarp Odion, told the panel that the police had no case to answer since the matter was not recorded.

The police have no case to answer in this matter,” he said after making some telephone inquiries.

The 22-man panel headed by Ada Ehigiamusoe, a retired judge, accepted the petition and adjourned to Friday for continuation of sitting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Latest news

Man, 38 Escapes Assassination Attempt In Benin

Published

on

Innocent Omoruyi

By Omokha Andrew

A 38-year-old activist, Innocent Omoruyi, narrowly escaped assassination in the early hours of Wednesday, July 19, 2023 as his residence at Obe Community,Sapele Road in Benin city was attacked by yet to be identified gun men.

The attack which eye witnesses say was viciously executed on Wednesday, July 19, 2023 bore the markings of a dreaded cult group terrorizing Benin City, the state capital.

Advertisement

The Obe, Sapale Road incident, it was learnt, happened soon after Omoruyi left the house to attend to matters of interest some few metres away from his home.

The assailants were said to have shot sporadically in their frustration as residents scampered for safety.

However, Omoruyi escaped unharmed.

One of the eye witnesses who craved anonymity said: “The felons apparently went for the kill, weilding guns and other dangerous weapons. “We are shocked that they didn’t see Innocent Omoruyi who was just some few metres away from home when they arrived”.

Advertisement

“How that happened, only God knows and it was obvious that it wasn’t his time to die yet and just before that not long ago his business place on Lagos Street, Benin City was burnt down in the middle of the night by unknown arsonists.

“This sequence of events is not ordinary. We know it’s politically motivated due to the role he played in the last general elections. He has been advised to go into hiding at the moment for his personal safety”, he concluded.

When contacted, the police Public Relations Officer Chidi Nwabuzor said he was yet to get any information as regards the latest incident. He promised to feed our correspondent with relevant details as soon as they become handy.

Our information source however revealed that the matter has already been incidented at the Love World Police station on Sapele Road, Benin city.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Business

Nigeria To Earn Over $4bn Revenue As FEC Okays Concession Of Abuja, Kano Airports

Published

on

Nigeria will earn over $4 billion in nominal revenue as the Federal Executive Council, FEC, on Wednesday okayed the concession of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja, and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA), Kano, to the Corporacion American Airport Consortium, a Luxembourg-based company.

James Odaudu, the Special Assistant on Public Affairs to the Minister of Aviation, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

According to him, the Council also approved that the Federal Ministry of Aviation would be renamed the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ATMs To Be Upgraded For Loans Services As CBN Gives Banks Ultimatum…

The statement noted that the company would make combined upfront payments of $8.5 million for the concession of NAIA and MAKIA.

He added that the development would spur evidential growth within the Nigerian aviation industry.

In alignment with the Aviation Roadmap, approved by Mr President on 18th October 2016, the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace is delighted to inform all stakeholders, both local and international, and the media, that the concession of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja, and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA), Kano has been approved by the Federal Executive Council,” the statement said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Peter Obi, LP Must Pay N1.5million To Access Documents – INEC

In December 2022 and January 2023, Corporacion American Airport Consortium was announced as the preferred bidder for the airport’s concession after scaling through a series of evaluations of technical and financial bids.

Nominal revenues mean income not adjusted for inflation and decreasing purchasing power.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Latest news

Russia Expelled From Council Of Europe Amid War With Ukraine

Published

on

The Council of Europe says it has expelled Russia with immediate effect after 26 years of membership because of the Ukraine war.

The Committee of Ministers took the decision in a special session, the rights body announced in the French city of Strasbourg on Wednesday.

Earlier, Russia had already declared its withdrawal from the Council of Europe after it had taken steps to exclude it.

Advertisement

On Tuesday evening, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe voted unanimously in favour of Russia’s exclusion.

Russia joined the Council of Europe on Feb. 28, 1996.

Together with the formal notification of the withdrawal, the Secretary-General of the Council of Europe also received information from the Russian Federation on Tuesday about its intention to denounce the European Convention on Human Rights.

In a statement on Tuesday evening, the leaders of the Council of Europe once again condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Ukraine: Horror As Russian Forces Shoot People Queuing For Bread

They expressed their solidarity with the Russian people, who continue to belong to the European family and share its values.

The body said it would continue to stand by Ukraine in the fight against the aggressor.

The Council of Europe monitors the observance of human rights in its 46 member states and is not part of the European Union.

Advertisement

The body reacted to the Russian invasion of Ukraine two weeks ago by suspending Russia’s membership, this decision was considered historic.

Continue Reading

Trending