Connect with us

Sports

EPL: Tuchel Gives Reasons Why Chelsea Struggles This Season

Published

on

Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, has admitted his players are struggling to cope with the pressure of fighting for major honours this season.

The Blues head into today’s Premier League home fixture against Southampton having suffered back-to-back 1-0 defeats.

First, they lost to Manchester City last weekend in the league and then in the Champions League at Juventus on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Chelsea are considered among the favourites for the title this season, having signed Romelu Lukaku for €115 million from Inter Milan.

However, the European champions find themselves looking to bounce back after a difficult week.

It is important that I feel the whole team is a little bit stuck in expectations.

“I don’t know why. Maybe of our success, maybe of the expectations that come with success. It is very, very important and necessary that we brush it off our shoulders and that we focus and make it right here, right now.

Advertisement

“We want absolutely more from Kai, more from what he can deliver because he is full of talent. Nobody is angry at him. But of course, once you play for Chelsea, we want to have the best out of you.

READ ALSO: Arsenal vs Chelsea: It’s Frightening, We’re Now Dealing With Different Animal – Ian Wright

“Yes, they need to accept these expectations but at the same time get rid of them and be the very best you can and fight hard for being an important player that we want to be. Every time is a crucial moment. We will push. We will try to help and the players in the end need to show it. It is their game, it is their moments they have to use and value,” Tuchel said.

Advertisement

Sports

EPL: Chris Sutton Gives Reasons Chelsea Will Win Title This Season

Published

on

By

Former Chelsea striker, Chris Sutton, says the club’s 7-0 victory against Norwich City in the Premier League on Saturday proves why the Blues will go on to win the English top-flight league title this season.

According to Sutton, Thomas Tuchel’s side are so strong, and their academy players are flourishing.

Chelsea thrashed Norwich City at Stamford Bridge, thanks to Mason Mount’s hat-trick and a strike each from Callum Hudson-Odoi, Reece James, Ben Chilwell and Max Aarons’ own goal.

Advertisement

“This is why I believe Chelsea will win the Premier League – their squad is so strong and their academy players are flourishing,” Sutton told BT Sport.

“Today’s performance was excellent, but last month the performances have not been there.

“That is a tremendous mentality to have. They have a squad ready to compete at all levels.”

READ ALSO: EPL: Blind Blasts Cristiano Ronaldo, Says He Only Thinks About Goals

Advertisement

The victory over Norwich City means Chelsea are on top of the Premier League table with 22 points from 9 games.

Continue Reading

Sports

Beijing Offers COVID-19 Boosters, 4 Months Before Olympics

Published

on

By

China’s capital Beijing has begun offering booster shots against COVID-19, four months before the city and surrounding regions are to host the Winter Olympics.

Anyone 18 or older who have received two-dose Chinese vaccines and belong to at-risk groups, including those participating, organizing or working on games facilities, would be eligible for the additional shot, state media reported Friday.

The booster has been rolling out in cities across the vast nation since late September, but Beijing authorities have been extra cautious in who receives the extra jab.

Advertisement

The games are set to begin on Feb. 4 with only residents of China allowed in the stands. Indoor events with sliding, skiing and jumping will be held in the suburb of Yanqing and the neighboring city of Zhangjiakou.

China has been largely successful in preventing local transmission through strict requirements on mask wearing, quarantining and contact tracing. Cases continue to pop up however, with 28 new ones reported Friday, including one in the Beijing suburb of Fengtai.

The pandemic is believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019, leading to a total lockdown that affected more than 50 million people.

China has been accused of covering up the initial outbreak and stymying investigations into the coronavirus’ origins, although it said earlier this week that it would cooperate with a renewed investigation by the World Health Organization while “firmly opposing any forms of political manipulation.”

Advertisement

WHO on Wednesday released a proposed list of 25 experts to advise it on next steps in the search for the virus’ origins after its earlier efforts were attacked for going easy on China.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest APC’s Social Media Handler

(AP)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Ex-Man United Defender Reveals How He Was Sexually Abused

Published

on

By

Former Manchester United and France defender Patrice Evra has said he was sexually abused as a teenager.

In an interview to publicise his new autobiography, Evra told The Times on Friday the abuse took place when he was a 13-year-old schoolboy.

The now 40-year-old Evra said that far more difficult than detailing the abuse in his autobiography or speaking about it an interview, was telling his mother for the first time.

Advertisement

“Of course, she was devastated,” he told The Times. “It was a tough moment for me. I have still to tell a few of my brothers and sisters and close friends.”

Evra said he had decided to make a public revelation in order to help children who may be in a similar situation.

“I don’t want people to feel pity,” he explained. “It’s a difficult situation.

“A mother does not expect to hear this from their own child…

Advertisement

“Only now when I am 40 years old do I tell her. It was a big shock for her. A lot of anger. She said she was sorry.

“She said: ‘You must not put it in your book, it’s private Patrice,’ but that’s when I say, mum, it’s not about me, it’s about other kids then she says OK, she understands.”

Evra added he did not plan to take legal action against his alleged assailant.

The first thing my mum says is, ‘if you don’t sue him, I’ll sue him. If he’s still alive, I’m going to kill him’…But I buried this thing so deep I didn’t think about (prosecution).”

Advertisement

Evra also told The Times that when he was 24 and playing for Monaco, he received a call from police regarding accusations against his alleged abuser but that he felt unable to tell them what had happened to him.

READ ALSO: Dimitar Berbatov Rates Man United’s Chances Of Winning EPL This Season

“Living with that was one of my biggest regrets because I could have helped so many people,” he added.

AFP

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending