Connect with us

News

Families Drag IGP, Others To Court Over Alleged Illegal Detention Of Breadwinner

Published

on

The families of Taiwo Omorede and Bright Osagiede of Egbaen community in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State have instituted a suit against the Nigerian Police, Inspector-General of Police and two police personnel of the IGP Monitoring Unit; Aminu Sokoto a DSP and A. Elema an ACP over alleged illegal detention of their breadwinners since March 20, 2021.

The families said the detainees have been denied bail neither have they been charged to court for any offence.

Advertisement

In suit marked 3/65m/2021 and 3/64m/2021, the two families accused the police of infringing on their fundamental human rights of personal liberty and dignity of human person as guaranteed under chapter four of the Nigeria’s Constitution.

READ ALSO: Lawyer Drags Obaseki To Court For Character Assassination

They said the incident that led to their arrest which was a clash between people from Egbaen and Igho communities which resulted in the death of one Umar Usman and another injured, has been investigated by the Special Anti-Cultism Unit of the police, adding that at no time were the names of the two persons mentioned.

Advertisement

According the wife of Osagiede, Happiness, “They came on Saturday night around 11 pm and they were hitting our door violently, I first thought they were armed robbers as they almost broke our window and tore the window nets, they entered the house, turned the whole place upside down and asked that I should bring the gun owned by my husband; my husband don’t own a gun and that was how he was taken away and since then we have not heard from them.”

Her story was corroborated by Emily Omorede who said her husband is a welder and also the Okhaighele of the community was the one who went to report to the police when the news of shooting to death by persons suspected to be from Igho community first happened.

READ ALSO: Extra-judicial Killing: Court Awards N110m Against Police

Advertisement

A member of the community, Ohkakuen Erwhaze said after they were arrested, one of them was arrested the following day.

“Then they took the remaining four to Asaba and from Asaba they were taken to Abuja. After a week and three days, they released another two while Omorede and Osagiede are still being held.

“They were granted bail in Abuja with over N400,000 and they were told to report back the following day, and when they reported, they were kept back till date and they have not allowed anybody to see them,” he said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Extra-judicial Killing: Court Awards N110m Against Police

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending