Connect with us

News

Fear, Anxiety As FG Set To Withhold December Salary Of 5,000 Civil Servants

Published

on

No fewer than 5,000 federal civil servants who have discrepancies in their dates of first appointment and dates of birth may not receive their December salary, National President, Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, Tommy Okon, has said.

Okon, however, said the union was working with the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation and it has forwarded the names of the affected workers to their Directors of Human Resources for confirmation.

The ASCSN President said 2,772 workers have been successfully restored back to the payroll of the Federal Government after concluding their online and physical verification exercise.

READ ALSO: Senate Plans To Review Nigerian Laws

He called on the Federal Government to expedite and conclude actions to ensure that the December salary of the civil servants who are undergoing different exercises to be reintegrated into the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System is not delayed.

Okon urged members of ASCSN who are affected by the reintegration process to exercise patient, promising that the union is doing everything within the ambit of the law to ensure that the issues are resolved expeditiously.

Addressing journalists on Tuesday in Abuja, the union leader said: “The physical verification exercise of the ‘17,000’ core civil servants who were delisted from the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System was concluded in October 2023 and those involved were in high spirit, waiting for their monthly salary which was stopped since September 2023 to be restored.

READ ALSO: Democracy Was Forced On Africa — Obasanjo

“As of today, only those who had earlier completed their verification exercise but were mistakenly delisted have had their salaries restored while 5,000 of civil servants still have discrepancies on their date of first appointment and dates of birth.

“A total of 2,772 have been verified and forwarded to IPPIS for payment because there were no issues. The names of 5,000 workers who have discrepancies are to be forwarded to their DHR for confirmation.

“There are six teams working tirelessly to ensure that the exercise is completed on time. It is advisable for public servants to develop the habit of checking the HOS website for regular updates. We have confirmed that the salary for the month of November 2023 is concluded, therefore, those affected will not be able to get their salary for the month of November.

READ ALSO: Why We Need Political Reforms Now – Labour Party

“However, the effort is being made by the HOSF to ensure that those cleared will get their salaries for December 2023 including the arrears from September.

“We appeal to the Federal Government through the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to expedite action to ensure that the salary of December is not delayed.”
PUNCH

Comments

News

Tears As 26-yr-old NYSC Member, Passengers, Driver Die In Imo Road Accident

Published

on

By

A 26-year-old female National Youth Service Corps, NYSC member, Sanni Mariam, of 2023 Batch C Stream 2, was among those who died in an accident in Imo State on Thursday.

Other passengers and the driver were also reported dead when their vehicle had an accident en route to Lagos.

It was gathered that Mariam was returning from her state of deployment, Benue State, and boarded a commercial bus heading to Lagos through Imo.

According to information gathered by Vanguard, Mariam took a camp exit from Benue State. She was undergoing the three-week compulsory orientation. And camping was expected to end by Thursday next week.

READ ALSO: Army Plans Review Of Operational Engagement

Mariam, a Computer Science graduate from Universite Protestante de Lafrique de l’Ouest, Benin Republic, was said to have won many awards for her platoon, including the Scrabble platoon game.

Efforts to contact the Benue State NYSC State Coordinator proved unsuccessful. He was neither taking calls nor responding to messages at press time.

Continue Reading

News

FG To Shut Buildings Violating Accessibility Laws For PWDs

Published

on

By

The Federal Government has announced plans to shut down public buildings that do not comply with the minimum standards of accessibility for Persons with Disabilities from January 17.

The Executive Secretary, National Commission for Persons with Disabilities, Dr James Lalu, disclosed on Thursday while briefing newsmen in Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that, the news conference was organised as part of the sixteenth day’s activism to commemorate the 2023 International Day of Persons with Disabilities.

Lalu said the commission would swing into action immediately after the expiration of the five-year ultimatum given to organizations by the Federal Government, which is expected to elapse on January 16, 2024.

”This commission was established with full responsibility for the enforcement of its laws, and it has been stated in the commission’s establishment laws.

READ ALSO: Workers Panic As Lagos Waterworks Sacks 450

”Five years was given to organisations to comply with accessibility laws and now the five years will expire in January 16 next year, we are now transiting from the era of advocacy to enforcement.

“By January, we would go out in full force to make sure that the provisions of the law are properly enforced,” he said.

He said the commission would engage all relevant stakeholders to constitute a special task force to ensure the implementation of the accessibility law.

“We would start meeting with own partners to constitute a taskforce immediately before this Christmas, everything will be on ground before the end of this year.

”So that as we come in early next year, the task force will swung into action immediately by January 17 at 12 am, the enforcement of accessibility laws will take effect.

READ ALSO: Chief Of Air Staff Tasks Officers On Respect, Protection Of Host Communities

”The commission’s task force will move out in full force and will start visiting key offices for physical assessment of facilities in the key offices,” he said.

The NCPWD Boss also said the commission would ensure that organisations not only comply with their accessibility requirements but the five percent employment opportunities for Persons with Disabilities.

”Our assessment may not only end on the physical facilities but the composition of the staff in these institutions.

”We want to know how many they have as persons with disabilities, the total number of staffing decisions, and then the maintenance of the five people in these institutions.

”So we have to find out all of these, so they will come to know whether they comply with the provisions of the law,” he said.

On her part, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr Betta Edu, said the commission received the full backing of President Bola Tinubu’s Administration in the implementation of their accessibility laws.

Edu assured the Executive Secretary of her support to ensure the enforcement of accessibility laws.

According to her, the effective implementation and enforcement of the relevant Disability laws is a collective responsibility of all Nigerians.

She, therefore, assured all stakeholders of their determination to support the commission in its quest to protect the rights and privileges of its members.

NAN

 

Continue Reading

News

Canada Hikes Proof Of Funds For Nigerians, Others By 100%

Published

on

By

The Canadian Government has raised its “cost-of-living financial requirement for study permit applicants,” basically for international students, to $20,000 from $10,000 starting from January 1, 2024.

This was made known by the country’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marc Miller, in a statement on Thursday.

According to him, from 2024, a single applicant will need to show they have $20,635, representing 75% of LICO, in addition to their first year of tuition and travel costs, adding, “This change will apply to new study permit applications received on or after January 1, 2024.”

READ ALSO: Cops Filmed Demanding Money From Foreign Biker Arrested – Police

“Starting January 1, 2024, the cost-of-living financial requirement for study permit applicants will be raised so that international students are financially prepared for life in Canada.

“For close to two decades, study permit applicants for international students have remained at $10,000. This review, which takes effect from January 1, ‘will help prevent student vulnerability and exploitation,’” the statement added.

This development is coming a few days after the United Kingdom introduced a new set of rules that would make it more difficult for Nigerians and other applicants to obtain a visa.

Home Secretary James Cleverly announced the changes in the House of Commons on Monday.

Continue Reading

Trending