Connect with us

Metro

Fear In Akwa Ibom Community As Police Arrest Villagers Over Death In Prayer House

Published

on

Natives of Ikot Isong village, Etinan Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State said they are now living in fear following an alleged onslaught by officers of the Nigeria Police command over the death of a woman in a prayer house in the area.

It was gathered that the mass arrest started last week and many persons in the village are on the run while the clan heads of Nnung Idem, Nnung Ennang, Nnung Itina and a morgue manager have been arrested.

A source from the village who pleaded anonymity told our correspondent that trouble started when an elderly woman who seemed mentally retarded from Ibesikpo local government of the state visited a Spiritualist in Ikot Isong village for prayers but died a few days after in the prayer house.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Family Of Slain Policeman Seeks Justice, As Delta DPP Exonerates Main Suspect

The deceased woman’s children, he said, traced the place and reported to the village head, a nonagenarian, Ete Idung Chief Maurice Isaiah Ikpat; who advised them to report the matter to the police.

He noted that the prophetess, fearing repercussions, ‘lied to the police that the village youths ganged up to beat up the woman.’

Advertisement

Our source added that the police visited Ette Idung’s house where other village officers were summoned for questioning but the policemen from Ikot Akpan Abia headquarters allegedly disguised and returned the following night and picked up some family heads

“The policemen from Ikot Akpan Abia headquarters disguised themselves and returned the following night and picked up some family heads. At some houses, they broke either the doors or smashed windows with axes to gain entrance.

“At Udo Edmund’s house, they beat up his wife, dragged her into their vehicles and arrested his child around 1am.

Advertisement

“We’re all living in fear as they come mostly in the night like armed robbers, beating up and abducting people in the village”, Akpan Obong, a village elder lamented.

Another villager claimed that the police have since released the prophetess but were demanding the village to pay N600,000 to release the detainees.

READ ALSO: Nigeria’s Problems Would Continue To Defy Solutions Until… – Obasanjo

Advertisement

Reacting, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Waheed Ayilara said they still need time to handle the investigation.

We have asked our DC to delve into the matter. Since there’s an element of human rights, we can assure you that we will handle it lawfully although the story or allegations seem to have two versions.

“We will release anyone not culpable in the matter after our investigation.” The Commissioner assured.

Advertisement

Metro

Sokoto Police Arrest Suspected Cultists, Uncover WhatsApp Recruitment Channel

Published

on

The Sokoto State Police Command has arrested three suspected members of the notorious “Sai Malam” cult group, believed to be behind rising criminal activities in parts of the state.

The suspects, including the alleged gang leader Usman Shu’aibu, were apprehended on Friday during an intelligence-led operation executed by the command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, the suspects confessed to being initiated into the group through a private WhatsApp platform called Red Chamber.

Advertisement

The police noted that further investigation discovered the social media channel was created to recruit unsuspecting youths into criminal activities.

READ ALSO:Police Crack Down On Criminal Network In Delta Community, Recover AK-47

These, according to the statement, include ritual practices, the pursuit of supposed demonic powers, acts of homosexuality, and violent thuggery.

Advertisement

The police warned parents to closely monitor their children’s online activities closely, noting that criminal groups are increasingly exploiting digital platforms to lure vulnerable youths.

Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Musa, said the arrests respond directly to public concerns about the group’s operations, adding that efforts are ongoing to track other fleeing members.

He assured residents of the command’s commitment to sustaining intelligence-driven policing and safeguarding lives and property across the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Hoodlums Stab Police Officer To Death In Ondo

In other news, two persons suspected to be hoodlums have been arrested by the operatives of the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly stabbing a police officer to death in Akure, the state capital.

The suspects, identified as Shina Jacob, 25, and Felix Olalekan, 32, allegedly attacked the police inspector during an altercation at Oke-Arata within Arakale axis.

Advertisement

The killing of the police officer came a few days after a personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) was stabbed to death by a mentally unstable man in Oba-Ile area of Akure.

According to sources, after the inspector, who was recently transferred from the Anti-Cultism Unit to B-Division, was stabbed, the area was thrown into a state of panic as residents and traders hurriedly fled.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest 26 Over Fake Currency, Adulterated Diesel In Lagos

Advertisement

While confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed that the officer was rushed to the hospital after he was stabbed but gave up the ghost while receiving treatment.

An altercation ensued between the officer and some recalcitrant individuals, during which the officer was tragically stabbed. This unfortunate event triggered an immediate and coordinated police response.

“Acting swiftly, the Commissioner of Police deployed a team of operatives to the scene, resulting in the arrest of two suspects directly connected to the incident. They include Shina Jacob ‘m’ aged 25 years and Felix Olalekan ‘m’ aged 32 years.

Advertisement

“The injured officer was also rescued and rushed to the hospital; however, despite all efforts, the police inspector sadly passed away while receiving treatment. The follow-up operation conducted last night formed part of the Command’s sustained and strategic efforts to rid the state of violent criminal elements and prevent further breaches of public safety,” Ayanlade stated.”

Continue Reading

Metro

Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Published

on

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.

The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.

According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.

Advertisement

Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.

READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course

A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.

Advertisement

There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.

As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.

NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers

The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.

Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.

Advertisement

According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano

Published

on

Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.

The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.

According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.

Advertisement

He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.

READ ALSO:

Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.

Advertisement

“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.

Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.

The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos

Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.

Advertisement

On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.

The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.

The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan

A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.

The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.

Advertisement

“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.

“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending