Connect with us

News

FG Files Nine Fresh Grounds To Oppose Nnamdi Kanu’s Release

Published

on

The Federal Government, on Thursday, secured permission from the Supreme Court to file nine fresh grounds of appeal to oppose the release of the embattled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, from detention.

The apex court granted FG’s request to include the fresh grounds in its amended notice of appeal dated October 28, 2022.

The ruling followed an application that was moved by a government lawyer, Mr Tijani Gadzali, SAN, who equally sought an adjournment to respond to Kanu’s request to be transferred from the detention facility of the Department of State Services, DSS, to the Kuje Correctional Center.

Advertisement

Gazzali, SAN, told the court that he would need time to file a counter-affidavit to oppose Kanu’s request.

Consequently, a five-member panel of the Supreme Court led by Justice Inyang Okoro adjourned the case till May 11 for definite hearing.

It will be recalled that the Court of Appeal in Abuja had in a judgement it delivered on October 13, 2022, ordered Kanu’s release from detention.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: S’Court Adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s Case Till Next Month

In a unanimous decision by a three-member panel, the appellate court equally quashed a 15-count terrorism charge that FG entered against the detained IPOB leader, before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The court said it was satisfied that FG flagrantly violated all known laws, when it forcefully rendered Kanu from Kenya to the country for the continuation of his trial.

Advertisement

It held that such arbitrary use of power by the Nigerian government, divested the trial court of the jurisdiction to continue with Kanu’s trial.

However, dissatisfied with the judgement, FG took the matter before the Supreme Court.

It further persuaded the appellate court to suspend the execution of the judgement, pending the determination of its appeal.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, at the resumed proceedings in the matter on Thursday, Kanu’s legal team, led by Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, and Mr Ifeanyi Ejiofor, drew the attention of the apex court to an application seeking the release of their client on bail, pending the conclusion of the hearing of the appeal.

READ ALSO: Release Kanu If Your Apology Is Genuine, IPOB Lawyer Tells Buhari

Ozekhome, SAN, said there was a need to also transfer his client from the custody of the DSS to where he could get proper medical attention in view of his deteriorating health.

Advertisement

He, therefore, applied for an accelerated hearing of all the pending applications as well as the substantive appeal.

Kanu had earlier asked the apex court to strike out FG’s appeal against his release.

Specifically, he applied for an order of the apex court, “striking out and/or dismissing the Respondent’s Appeal No: SC/CR/1361/2022, for want of diligent prosecution”.

Advertisement

As well as an order setting down his own cross-appeal for hearing.

The IPOB leader contended that going by Section 6 (1) of the Supreme Court (Criminal Appeals) Practice Direction 2013, FG had only 10 days within which to file and serve him with its brief of argument, upon the service of record of appeal.

READ ALSO: Nnamdi Kanu’s Health Condition Worsens, Lawyer Laments

Advertisement

He further argued that Order 2 Rule 29 (1) & (2) and Order 6 Rule 9 of the Supreme Court Rules, as amended in 2014, empowered him to seek the striking out of FG’s appeal for want of diligent prosecution.

According to him, “Parties were served with the record of appeal since the 2nd November 2022.

“The ten (10) days stipulated under the Fast Track Rules of this Honourable Court for the Respondent to file its Appellant’s Brief has since elapsed.

Advertisement

“The Respondent is not diligent in prosecuting its appeal.

“The purpose of this Honourable Court’s Rules and Practice Directions is to provide fair, impartial and expeditious administration of criminal appeals, especially in relation to offences of terrorism, rape, kidnapping, corruption, money laundering and human trafficking.

“On the 28th day of October 2022, the lower court while relying on the Notice of Appeal filed by the Respondent, granted the Respondent’s application for stay of execution of the judgment of the lower court, and consequently stayed the execution of its judgement delivered on the 13th October, 2022, which discharged the Applicant and prohibited his further detention.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Foreign Affairs Committee Urges UK Govt To Intervene In Kanu’s Case

“The Respondent, which obtained an order of stay of execution of the judgment of the lower court, on the basis of this appeal, has not demonstrated any good faith in prosecuting the said appeal

“Owing to the pendency of the instant appeal, the Applicant who was discharged by the lower court since the 13th October, 2022, is still in the custody of the Appellant/Respondent’s State Security Service (SSS), where he has been held in solitary confinement since the 29th day of June, 2021.

Advertisement

“Striking out and/or dismissing the Respondent’s appeal will serve the best interest of justice and fair trial, having particular regards to the fact that the Applicant’s right to liberty was stayed by the lower court on account of the pendency of the Respondent’s abandoned appeal.

“The Applicant has filed his Cross-Appellant’s brief and same has been duly served on the Respondent.

“It is in the interest of justice and fair trial to set the Applicant’s cross-appeal down for hearing.

Advertisement

“The Respondent which is not desirous of prosecuting its appeal, will not be prejudiced by the grant of the instant application”, Kanu added.

News

Benin Unity Cup: Ikpoba-Okha Rescue Stoppage-Time Point As Orhionmwon Hit Four In Thrilling Football Weekend

Published

on

The maiden Benin Unity Cup delivered a whirlwind of drama across Match Day Two, with Friday’s stoppage-time heroics and Saturday’s goal-laden clashes keeping fans at the Crescent Sports Club, Irhirhi, on the edge of their seats.

Ikpoba-Okha Steal Late Draw; Ovia North East Win by Walkover

Ikpoba-Okha produced one of the tournament’s standout moments on Friday as Emeka Nwaneda struck deep into stoppage time to deny Egor what had seemed a certain victory.

Advertisement

The opening fixture began cautiously, with both sides locked in a tense, goalless first half. Egor broke the deadlock barely three minutes after the restart, as Towo Eventus finished clinically to ignite celebrations in the stands and tilt momentum their way.

But just when Egor appeared set to close out the match, Ikpoba-Okha delivered a dramatic twist. In the 90th minute, Nwaneda showcased composure and flair to fire home the equaliser, stunning the Egor bench and sending the crowd into a frenzy.

READ ALSO:Ikpoba-Okha Trade Tackles With Ovia N-East As Benin Unity Cup Kicks Off

Advertisement

The day’s second match ended without a ball being kicked. Ovia North East were awarded a walkover after Uhunmwonde failed to honour their fixture, with match officials confirming the decision following the standard 30-minute waiting period.

Attention quickly shifted to Saturday’s double-header, which proved even more explosive.

Orhionmwon Overpower Ovia South West 4–2 in Six-Goal Thriller

Advertisement

Saturday’s early kick-off saw Orhionmwon storm to a commanding 4–2 victory over Ovia South West in a match brimming with attacking verve.

READ ALSO:US Museum Returns Two Benin Bronzes To Nigeria

Iworie Chinedu set the tone almost immediately, weaving through the defence to score the tournament’s fastest goal. Ovia South West replied in the 13th minute through Oghene Ovo, who finished a slick team move to restore parity.

Advertisement

But Orhionmwon seized control before the break. Osifo Osakpolor struck in the 35th minute, and four minutes later Kish Danjuma extended the lead to 3–1. The second half had barely resumed when Osakpolor completed his brace in the 46th minute, effectively putting the contest beyond reach.

Ovia South West pulled one back late on through Osadolor Lucky, but the goal served only as consolation as Orhionmwon claimed a deserved win.

Oredo Derby Ends in Six-Goal Spectacle

Advertisement

The much-anticipated Oredo derby lived up to its billing, as Oredo I and Oredo II battled to an exhilarating 3–3 draw in one of the most dramatic fixtures of the competition so far.

READ ALSO:Sen. Imasuen Champions Respect, Responsibility As ‘Comprehending Gen Z + Gen A’ Returns In Benin

Oredo II struck first when Waheed Ahmed found the net in the 27th minute, but Oredo I responded with an explosive start to the second half. Goals from Samuel Brownson (47’), Sunday Henry (49’), and a second from Brownson in the 58th minute turned the match on its head.

Advertisement

Refusing to wilt, Oredo II mounted a spirited comeback. Friday Omoregie reduced the deficit in the 52nd minute, and just two minutes later Anthony Ogudu fired home the leveller to seal a pulsating encounter.

With only two matchdays played, the Benin Unity Cup is rapidly gathering momentum—showcasing raw grassroots talent, rekindling local rivalries, and reinforcing the unifying power of football.

The tournament, sponsored by Senator Neda Imasuen, aims to empower young players and provide pathways for emerging talents to secure opportunities abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: What Sheikh Gumi Told Me After Visiting Bandits Hideouts — Obasanjo

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed details of a private discussion he held with controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, regarding the state of insecurity in Nigeria’s forests and the fortification of bandit hideouts.

Speaking in an interview, Obasanjo disclosed that he invited Sheikh Gumi for a meeting following the cleric’s well-publicised visits to meet with bandits in their forest encampments.

Gumi’s firsthand account, according to Obasanjo’s revelation, challenged official narratives regarding military operations in those areas.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

According to Obasanjo, Gumi informed him that the bandits had so heavily fortified their positions that any security personnel claiming to have penetrated those specific enclaves were lying.

Obasanjo recounted that the cleric was visibly emotional while describing the demographics of the insurgents, noting that Gumi admitted to weeping after seeing young boys, aged between 13 and 15, who were soaked in hard drugs and carrying dangerous weapons.

Advertisement

He narrated, “When Sheikh Gumi went to meet those boys in the forest, I invited him to come and see me. The first thing he said is that where those boys are they’ve fortified themself, and even if any security personnel claimed they had gone into the area, they were lying to you. He said what made him weep was [seeing] boys of 13, 14, 15 years, soaked in drugs and carrying gun.”

READ ALSO:Why I Refused To Endorse El-Rufai As My Successor — Obasanjo

The former President described the condition of these children as wrecked, stating that the situation remains a significant source of worry for the nation.

Advertisement

“They are wrecked and that worried us. 20 million children that should be in school but are not in school. Those that have no employment, no job and they see in you in abstain affluence, what do you expect them to do?”, he said.

Continue Reading

News

FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

Published

on

Duke, David Mark, Anenih, Ganduje, CBN, Navy, NNPC, Oyo, Kaduna, Borno, others also affected

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the revocation of 1,095 properties in the FCT belonging to prominent Nigerians after they failed to pay ground rent, land use conversion or Certificate of Occupancy bills. This decision was contained in a statement signed by the management of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Department of Land Administration at the weekend.

The FCTA stated that the enforcement action to be taken against the defaulters commenced after a 14 day grace period, which expired on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. Out of the 1,095 defaulters, 835 were listed as ground rent defaulters, while 260 were listed as land use contravention payment defaulters. The list also contained the file numbers, plot numbers, CADZONE, districts, rent owed, and revocation dates of the listed properties.

The properties listed in the statement included those belonging to federal and state governments, businesses and prominent individuals.

Advertisement

Notable individuals on the list are former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma; former First Lady, Patience Jonathan; former Senate President, David Mark; former Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido; Senator Ali Ndume; former PDP national chairman, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Osun State deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore; Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu Gambari; elderstateman, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; elderstateman, Tony Anenih; former Minister of Petroleum, Alison Madueke.

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Drama As Wike-backed PDP Expels Makinde, Mohammed, Dauda

Former governors on the list include Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano); Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti); Donald Duke (Cross River); Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto); Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe); Ayodele Fayose (Ekiti); Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun).

Advertisement

Others are Minister of State for Industry, John Owan Enoh; Aminu Alhassan Dantata; Bashir Tofa; Audu Abubakar; Bello Mohamed Sani; Mohammed Rabiu; Senator from Ondo State, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim; Ado Abdullahi Bayero; Tanko Abdullahi; Adetunji Olurin; Ghali Umar Na’abba; Dorcas Kuforiji Olubi; Olu Agunloye; Kamorudeen Adekunle Adedibu; Hakeem Baba Ahmed; Iyabo Olusola Obasanjo; Shehu Musa Labaran; Onaolapo Olusegun Soleye; Babatunde Idiagbon.

Notable institutions on the list are the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigeria Navy, the Office of the National Security Adviser, Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno State, Kaduna, Oyo State governments.

READ ALSO:I’ll Support Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria If… – Wike

Advertisement

Others are BUA International Limited, First Bank of Nigeria, Standard Trust Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Committee of Vice Chancellors of federal universities and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).

The FCTA added that the publication of the defaulting properties came after several notices in national dailies, online platforms and television stations requesting the defaulters to settle their financial obligations and liabilities. The FCTA further stated that by defaulting on the payments, the defaulters have “Contravenes the provisions of Section 28, Subsection 5(a) and (b) of the Land Use Act and also the terms and conditions of the grants of the respective Rights of Occupancy.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending