Business
Flooding: Two Feared Dead In Early Monday Rain In Abuja

Two people were on Monday feared dead following Monday morning’s downpour, which caused heavy flooding at the Trademore Estate in Lugbe along the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Road.
The estate, which has been perennially affected by flooding, is home to several civil servants and other categories of people.
A resident of the area who made a video of the flood could be heard calling on the Federal Government and the Federal Capital Territory FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, for help.
She said two people had been swept away by the flood. The development has not been confirmed by the administration.
The FCT Administration had since 2022 made several attempts to demolish parts of the estate said to be on a flood plain, but a court case instituted by residents against it halted the exercise.
READ ALSO: Flood Sweeps 16-year-old Barber Into Ogun Canal
Recall that the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, NiMet, had on Sunday predicted thunderstorms and hazy weather conditions from Sunday to Tuesday in some parts of the country.
NiMet’s weather outlook indicated morning thunderstorms over the central states in places like Plateau, Nasarawa, the Federal Capital Territory, Benue, and Niger states.
Also later in the day, there are prospects of thunderstorms over parts of Kogi, Niger, Plateau, Benue, Nasarawa, and the Federal Capital Territory.
In its reaction to the prediction, the FCT Emergency Management Department (FEMD) said it has placed its flood vanguards and local emergency management committees in the six area councils on alert following warnings of possible flooding in the territory.
In a statement by Head, Public Affairs of the Department, Nkechi Isa, “The FCT Emergency Management Department, FEMD, has placed its vanguards and the local emergency management committees in the six area councils on alert following early warnings of possible flooding in the Territory.
READ ALSO: Obaseki Links Rising Inflation To Nation’s Inability To Produce, Export
“A weather outlook issued by the Nigeria Meteorological Agency, NiMet, and made available to FEMD says isolated thunderstorms are likely today over parts of the FCT, Nasarawa, Kogi, Benue, and Plateau.
“NiMet advises that strong winds may precede the rains in areas where the thunderstorms are likely to occur and urged the public to take adequate precaution.
“NiMet also predicts similar weather conditions for Tuesday 25th and Wednesday 26th June 2024.
“Meanwhile, the National Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) Centre of the Federal Ministry of Environment has predicted that locations in 15 states are likely to witness heavy rainfall that may lead to flooding between today and tomorrow.
READ ALSO: VIDEO: How Flood Ravages INEC Head Office In Benin
“States like Kogi, Nasarawa, Niger, and Kaduna are among states expected to experience heavy flooding. However, the FCT may not experience flooding.
“In reaction to the early warning on neighbouring states, the Ag. Director General of FEMD, Mrs Florence Dawon Wenegieme, said the department has put in place mitigation measures around the city.
“Mrs Wenegieme informed that the Search and Rescue Team are on the alert, while local divers have been posted to vulnerable locations.
“The Ag DG appealed to residents to always use the 112 emergency toll-free number in the event of an emergency.”
Business
NNPCL Revenue, Profit Soar To N5.08tn, N447bn In October
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has announced a significant revenue increase to N5.078 trillion for October 2025.
The state-owned firm disclosed this in its monthly financial report released on Saturday.
According to the financial report, from N5.078 revenue in October, the company posted a N447 profit after tax.
READ ALSO:N5bn Damage: NNPCL Secures Appeal Court Victory Against Ararume
The figure represents a significant 19.2 percent increase in revenue from N4.26 trillion and a 106 percent rise in PAT from N216 billion in September 2025.
The report stated that from January to September, NNPCL paid N11.150 trillion in statutory payments to the federation.
Four days ago, NNPCL posted a total of N45.1 trillion as total revenue for the 2024 financial year.
Business
NNPCL Reveals Reason Behind N5.4trn Profit After Tax
The Group Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, Bayo Ojulari, has explained that the state-owned firm’s N5.4 trillion profit after tax declaration in its 2024 financial statements indicates that the country has begun to reap the benefits of the Petroleum Industry Act.
He made this explanation in an interview released on NNPCL’s X account on Friday.
Recall that NNPCL declared a significant N5.4 trillion PAT from a total revenue of N45.1 trillion in 2024.
READ ALSO:N5bn Damage: NNPCL Secures Appeal Court Victory Against Ararume
Reacting, Ojulari said the earnings result demonstrated the state-owned firm’s commitment to transparency.
“This earning is our first step in going out there to make ourselves more visible and demonstrate our commitment towards transparency. The profit of N5.4 trillion is quite significant. What that indicates is that we are beginning to reap the benefits of the Petroleum Industry Act.”
According to DAILY POST, since Ojulari’s appointment in April 2025, NNPCL has been consistent in making its monthly financial records public.
Business
CBN Directs Nigerian Banks To Withdraw Misleading Advertisement
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has directed Nigerian banks, payment service banks and other financial institutions to immediately withdraw all advertisements that violate consumer-protection rules.
The directive, issued in a circular dated Thursday and signed by Olubunmi Ayodele-Oni, director of the CBN’s compliance department, followed a review of marketing practices in the financial sector.
The apex bank said the assessment revealed inconsistencies in how institutions apply disclosure, transparency and fair-marketing requirements.
READ ALSO:CBN Retains Interest Rate At 27%
The CBN ordered the removal of all non-compliant adverts and warned that future promotional materials must be factual, balanced and transparent.
It banned misleading claims, exaggerated benefits, incomplete information, unaudited financial results and comparative language that could de-market competitors.
The regulator of Nigeria’s financial sector also prohibited chance-based promotional inducements such as lotteries, prize draws and lucky dips.
Accordingly, institutions submitting adverts for prior notification must now include campaign timelines, creative materials, target audience details and written confirmation of internal legal and compliance clearance, along with proof that the underlying product has CBN approval.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: EFCC Summons Ex-AGF Malami For Questioning
The bank clarified that such notifications are only for monitoring and do not amount to approval.
All affected institutions must file a compliance attestation within 30 days, signed by the chief executive and compliance leads.
The CBN added that beginning January 2026, it will conduct a follow-up review and apply sanctions for violations under BOFIA 2020 and the Consumer Protection Regulations.
-
Metro4 days ago
JUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
-
News3 days ago
How To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
-
News3 days ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
-
Headline3 days ago
Coup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
-
News3 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
-
Metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
-
Politics4 days ago
Crack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
-
Metro2 days ago
JUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
-
News2 days ago
Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
-
News2 days ago
Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director