Connect with us

News

FULL LIST: 24 Hours To Hunger Protest, Steps FG Has Taken To Stop Demonstration

Published

on

Twenty-four hours before the planned 10-day hunger protest, the Federal Government took some proactive steps to quell the demonstration.

Recall that recently, a group, the Take It Back movement called for a nationwide protest against hunger and bad governance in the country.

Advertisement

The group tagged the protest, “Days of Rage” which it said would hold nationwide from August 1 to 10.

However, top government personalities, groups, and religious bodies, including the Christian Association of Nigeria, the Muslim Student Society of Nigeria (Lagos chapter), and the Muslim Rights Concern, have called for the protest to be shelved, citing a palpable fear that it might be hijacked by infiltrators who do not mean well for the country.

Even the former Niger Delta freedom fighter, Mujahid Asari-Dokubo, warned organisers of the protest to desist from coming to Niger Delta.

Advertisement

Dokubo-Asari said the agenda of those behind the protest do not capture the problems of the people of the Niger Delta.

While daring them to come to the oil and gas-rich region, he said they would be resisted, alleging that they were merely interested in the resources coming from the Niger Delta, describing them as ‘anarchist.

READ ALSO: PROTEST: FG Finally Suspend Import Duty On Essential Food Items

Advertisement

Additionally, the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has urged all groups planning to participate in the proposed nationwide protest to submit their details to the Commissioners of Police in their respective states.

He stated this was to ensure the protest remains peaceful.

Egbetokun said, “We acknowledge the constitutional right of Nigerian citizens to peaceful assembly and protest.

Advertisement

“However, in the interest of public safety and order, we urge all groups planning to protest to provide the necessary details to the Commissioner of Police in the state where the protest is intended to take place.”

Although the protest, which has gained traction on social media, has been endorsed by presidential candidates Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party and Peter Obi of the Labour Party.

Going forward, this report by PUNCH Online highlights the major steps the Federal Government has taken to stop the protest from being held, as they considered the demonstration unnecessary while demanding time for President Tinubu to govern.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: 10 Most Corrupt Countries In Africa In 2024

1. Tinubu created centres across the country where Nigerians can purchase a 50kg bag of rice for N40,000.

The FG said it was one of the several initiatives by the Tinubu administration to ease living conditions for citizens.

Advertisement

2. Tinubu directed the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited to sell crude to the Dangote refinery and other upcoming refineries in naira.

The approval given by Tinubu for the sale of crude oil to the Dangote Petroleum refinery in naira is going to force the prices of domestically refined petroleum products to crash, oil marketers, refiners, and experts stated.

Operators in the downstream oil sector commended the move by the President, stating that it would boost the outputs of domestic refineries, shore up the country’s foreign exchange reserves, and strengthen the naira.

Advertisement

3. He met with governors from the All Progressives Congress, under the aegis of the Progressives Governors Forum at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, to discuss the growing calls for nationwide protests against economic hardship.

4. Although Tinubu had earlier announced that he may stop the importation of import duties on food and essential commodities, Tinubu suspended import duties to cushion the effect of the inflationary trend in Nigeria. On Monday, he removed the duties on the food importation.

READ MORE: Protest: US, UK, Canada Issue Security Alerts To Citizens In Nigeria

Advertisement

5. The President held emergency meetings with prominent traditional rulers and Ulamas (Islamic religious scholars) at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja as part of efforts by the government to ensure the planned hunger protest, slated for August 1 to 10, is averted nationwide.

6. FG unveiled the Youth Internship Scheme initiated by the NDDC for 10,000 youths of the Niger Delta region and approved N50,000 monthly stipends for them.

7. The Nigerian Communications Commission has directed telecommunications operators to immediately restore all blocked phone lines due to the non-linkage of National Identification Numbers to SIM cards.

Advertisement

This directive was disclosed in a statement on Monday by the Director of Media and Public Affairs, Reuben Muoka.

The telecom industry regulator explained that this directive was in response to the widespread disruption caused by the blockages and to prioritise consumer convenience.

8. President Bola Tinubu, on Monday, signed the new Minimum Wage Act into law.

Advertisement

The brief ceremony was witnessed by the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, and the House Leader, Prof. Julius Ihonvberem, who represented the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas.

It came nearly two weeks after President Bola Tinubu and the organised labour unions—comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria—agreed on N70,000 as the new minimum wage.
PUNCH

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

News

Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef

Published

on

By

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday shocked a female puff-puff seller during a rally in Osogbo by buying all her snacks with ₦50,000 and offering her employment as a chef at the Government House.

This happened when Osun public servants trooped out in their thousands in what they called an appreciation solidarity rally in support of the governor for his support and care since he took over state governance.

Advertisement

It was observed that the governor, who sat in the bus, had sighted the woman who was among the crowd cheering him.

He immediately beckoned to the woman carrying a plastic container filled with puff-puff on her head and asked how much it would cost to buy all the snacks.

READ ALSO:Adeleke Flies To US For Davido’s Wedding

Advertisement

The female hawker, who was visibly surprised and star-struck at the level of her proximity to the governor, found it difficult to even tell the governor how much she sold the snacks.

Surprisingly, Adeleke handed her a bundle of ₦50,000 to the cheers of the crowd.

The lucky woman knelt down in appreciation of the governor’s generosity.

Advertisement

Excited onlookers quickly rushed to share the snacks in the plastic already purchased by the governor.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Hosts Gov Adeleke, Deji Adeleke, Davido In Lagos

The governor invited the vendor inside the vehicle where one of his officials questioned her academic background, and she revealed that she holds a Nigerian Certificate in Education.

Advertisement

Adeleke further asked about the dishes she could prepare and instructed his aides to take her contact details for employment as a chef in the Government House.

Confirming the development, the Commissioner II at the Osun State Civil Service Commission, Olaniyan Taofeek, shared the video on X (formerly Twitter), writing: “The moment Gov. Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller into a Government House chef.”

READ ALSO:It’s Like He Came Back – Davido Discloses Son’s Resemblance To Late Ifeanyi Adeleke

Advertisement

A Special Assistant to the Governor on Digital Media, Oni Gbenga Lawrence, also corroborated the incident in a post on X, stating: “Moment Governor Ademola Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller to Government Chef… not only ₦50k but he invited her into his car and employed her as chef in the Government House.”

The Guardian correspondent, who was at the scene of the welcome rally, made efforts to interview the lucky vendor, but they did not yield as she was not allowed to alight from the bus throughout the event.
(The Guardian)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools

Published

on

By

The Katsina State Government has withdrawn the operating licenses of all private and community schools in the state, with effect from August 13, 2025.

The announcement came through a circular issued by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education and signed by Commissioner Hajiya Zainab Musa-Musawa.

Advertisement

The ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Sani Danjuma, released the document in Katsina on Saturday.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated

According to the circular, the move is part of the government’s effort to strengthen quality assurance and standardization within the education sector.

Advertisement

The withdrawal of licenses is aimed at ensuring that schools operate in line with approved standards and provide quality education to students,” Danjuma said.

The circular also outlined a review of fees for license application, registration, and annual renewal.

READ ALSO:Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes

Advertisement

“Owners of affected schools are required to obtain fresh licenses by submitting proof of payment to the ministry on or before September 30, 2025.”

The statement also added that school operators have been warned not to increase tuition or other charges without government approval.

The ministry further promised to issue additional guidelines soon, including categorization of schools and the revised fee structure.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead

Published

on

By

British-born Nigerian missionary, Ruth Elton, reputed to be the oldest missionary has passed on at the age of 91.

Ruth Elton, born 7 September 1933, was a British-born Nigerian missionary whose lifelong dedication to faith, healing, and revival left an indelible mark on communities across western and central Nigeria.

Advertisement

It was learnt that Elton died on Saturday at Sharon compound, Alafia Bamin Quarters in Ilesa, Osun State.

She was the only daughter of Pa Elton and her remains have been deposited at the mortuary.

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead

Advertisement

Ruth Elton, daughter of Sydney Granville Elton (Pa Elton), who is referred to as one of the founding fathers of Pentecostalism in Nigeria, had approached a Kaduna court and nationalised as a Nigerian.

At old age and despite the happenings in Nigeria, she still held in high esteem her father’s prophecies that although Nigeria could be known globally for corruption, it would only for a while as new dawn would beckon when the country would be known worldwide for righteousness and prosperity.

Elton moved to Nigeria in 1937 with her parents and served as a Christian missionary across Egbe, Okene, Koton Karfe, and other parts of Kogi, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun States.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Viral TV Judge Frank Caprio Is Dead

A naturalised Nigerian, having renounced her British citizenship in the 1970s, she embraced the country completely and became fluent in Ebira and Yoruba.

Elton, who remained single, believed that she had made a true mark in the country and apart from her missionary work, she saw her efforts in taming infant mortality, especially in Okene, Kogi State as a generational impact.

Advertisement

Relating her experience on infant mortality in the country, Elton recently noted that many newborn babies had passed on due to lack of proper care and hygiene, adding that the practice of force-feeding babies contributed to the challenges, especially in the face of poor awareness.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version