Connect with us

Metro

Gunmen Kidnap Jonathan’s Cousin In Bayelsa

Published

on

Gunmen have allegedly abducted a former Bayelsa State Commissioner for Special Duties in charge of Federal Projects in the state, Mike Ogiasa.

Sources said that Ogiasa, who is a cousin of former President Goodluck Jonathan, was kidnapped at Otuogidi in the Ogbia Local Government Area of the state on Thursday, June 2.

Advertisement

The bandits, about eight in number, were said to have whisked him away at gunpoint.

Ogiasa, who also served as Special Adviser on Power to the State Government, was said to have finished attending a meeting before his assailants swooped on him.

It was gathered that his abductors were yet to establish contact with any member of his family since the incident occurred.

Advertisement

No group had also claimed responsibility for the kidnap of Ogiasa, who is the son of a former traditional ruler of Otuoke community.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kill 2 Police Officers, 3 Civilians, Injure Scores In Bayelsa

The Police Public Relations Officer, Bayelsa State Command, SP Asinim Butswat, confirmed the abduction of the former commissioner.

Advertisement

He also said that a combined investigative effort involving security agencies had been launched with a view to rescuing Ogiasa and arresting the culprits

Advertisement

Metro

VIDEO: Fire Averted As Fuel Tanker Explodes In Lagos

Published

on

A petroleum tanker carrying Premium Motor Spirit overturned and went up in flames on Sunday at Iyana-Isolo, inward Oshodi, Lagos.

According to The PUNCH, the fire quickly spread to at least four parked trucks in the area, but quick intervention by officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority helped prevent a larger disaster.

Advertisement

Traffic was then diverted from Ilasa inward Oshodi as the scene was cordoned off.

Preliminary investigations by LASTMA indicated that the accident was caused by overspeeding, which made the tanker driver lose control of the vehicle.

READ ALSO:Explosion Near Abuja Barracks Causes Panic, One Injured

Advertisement

Confirming the incident in a statement, LASTMA General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, said operatives from adjoining zones were mobilised to support the response, working alongside the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Nigeria Police Force (Aswani, Ilasa, and Mushin Divisions), and the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps.

“No human casualties were recorded, thanks to the swift intervention of LASTMA operatives and other agencies.

“The preservation of life and property is at the core of our operations.

Advertisement

“We remain committed to ensuring a safe and orderly traffic management system across Lagos State,” Bakare-Oki said.

https://x.com/MobilePunch/status/1962199846984585635?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1962199846984585635%7Ctwgr%5E9f5a2850fda3f7144e8f4e6b63ded0550952eec8%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpunchng.com%2Fvideo-fire-averted-as-fuel-tanker-explodes-in-lagos%2F

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights

Published

on

Drama erupted at Ologbo Park by Agip Filling Station, along Sapele Road, Benin City, when a popular evangelist known as Pastor Evidence threw caution to the wind and chased away a colleague-pastor who came to the park to preach to passengers travelling from Benin to Warri, Delta State.

It is a common practice in most of the motor parks in Benin seeing pastors or better put, evangelists, preaching to passengers who are about embarking on a journey.

Advertisement

These pastors or evangelists thereafter offer prayers to Almighty God for a safe trip on behalf of the passengers, and in return solicit for financial assistance from the passengers for the support of their evangelical work.

READ ALSO: Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

However, this voluntary preaching of the gospel turned something else on Sunday morning at the park as Pastor Evidence, in the full glare of passengers, conductors and passersby, ordered his colleague to leave the park in a loud voice, claiming the exclusive preaching right to the park.

Advertisement

The development angered some of the bus drivers as they came in their number in defence of the pastor.

The incident caused commotion and division amongst the drivers.

While some supported the action of the pastor others condemned him. They accused him of greed and being hostile to a fellow preacher.

Advertisement

A traveller who witnessed the drama criticized Pastor Evidence, saying that his actions exemplify the commercialisation of the gospel.

The passenger who spoke in anonymity said: “This is shameful. A so-called man of God can do this to a fellow pastor. Is it because of the little offering from passengers? His action further speak to the commercialisation of the word of God by fake pastors.”

 

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap

Published

on

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.

According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

Advertisement

Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.

Advertisement

The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.

“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”

According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.

Advertisement

The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending