Connect with us

Headline

How Australian Doctor Treated Own Brain Cancer With Personal Research Studies

Published

on

An Australian medical doctor, Professor Richard Scolyer, said he has remained brain cancer-free for a year after undergoing a world-first treatment based on his own research.

The 57-year-old used his own pioneering studies on melanoma to treat his incurable stage 4 glioblastoma following his diagnosis in June 2023.

Scolyer disclosed this on Monday, via his X page, with an update about the experimental treatment alongside two images from a recent MRI scan.

Advertisement

“I had brain #MRI scan last Thursday looking for recurrent #glioblastoma (&/or treatment complications). I found out yesterday that there is still no sign of recurrence. I couldn’t be happier!!!!!,” wrote Scolyer.

READ ALSO: Failure To Prosecute Deborah’s Killers Two Years After, Reinforcement Of Impunity – Amnesty International

“Thank you to the fabulous team looking after me so well especially my wife Katie & wonderful family!” he added.

Scolyer’s diagnosis was revealed in June 2023 after he was taken ill while traveling for work in Poland. He then became the first brain cancer patient to undergo pre-surgery combination immunotherapy.

Advertisement

Speaking about the feat in an interview with BBC, Scolyer said, “To be honest, I was more nervous than I have been for any previous scan. I’m just thrilled and delighted… couldn’t be happier.”

Professor Scolyer is one of the country’s most respected medical minds, and was this year named Australian of the Year alongside his colleague and friend, Professor Georgina Long, in recognition of their life-changing work on melanoma.

READ ALSO: Miss USA Teen 2023 Runner-up Declines Title After Winner Stepped Down

As co-directors of the Melanoma Institute Australia, over the past decade the pair’s research on immunotherapy, which uses the body’s immune system to attack cancer cells, has dramatically improved outcomes for advanced melanoma patients globally.

Advertisement

He is also the first to be administered a vaccine personalised to his tumour’s characteristics, which boosts the cancer-detecting powers of the drugs.

After a tough couple of months of treatment at the start of the year – spent dealing with epileptic seizures, liver issues and pneumonia – Prof Scolyer said he is feeling healthier.

“I’m the best I have felt for yonks,” he said, adding that he’s back to exercising every day – which for him often means a casual 15km (9.3 mile) jog.

READ ALSO: Underbridge Tenants: Lagos Govt Uncovers Identity Of Ring Leader

Advertisement

“It certainly doesn’t mean that my brain cancer is cured… but it’s just nice to know that it hasn’t come back yet, so I’ve still got some more time to enjoy my life with my wife Katie and my three wonderful kids.”

The results so far have generated huge excitement that the duo may be on the cusp of a discovery which could one day help the roughly 300,000 people diagnosed with brain cancer globally each year.

Prof Scolyer and Prof Long have previously said the odds of a cure are “minuscule”, but they hope the experimental treatment will prolong Prof Scolyer’s life and will soon translate into clinical trials for glioblastoma patients.

READ ALSO: Navy Sends Eight Warships, Helicopters After Sea Pirates

Advertisement

They currently have a scientific paper under review, which details results from the first weeks of Prof Scolyer’s treatment, but Prof Long stresses that they are still a long way off developing an approved and regulated course of treatment.

“We’ve generated a whole heap of data, to then make a foundation for that next step, so that we can help more people,” she said.

We’re not there yet. What we have to really focus on is showing that this pre-surgery, combination immunotherapy type of approach works in a large number of people.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Headline

Trump Accused Of Saying N-word On Season 1 Of ‘Apprentice’ When Talking About Black Contestant

Published

on

An ex-producer on “The Apprentice” has accused former United States of America’s President, Donald Trump of using the N-word on season 1 of the show.

Bill Pruitt, a producer on the first season of the hit NBC show in 2004, who went on to work on it for years, has published an article on Slate, accusing the former President of using the derogatory word while discussing a Black contestant.

He said Trump used the word while mulling over the finalists for season 1, namely, Bill Rancic (who won the show that year in 2004) and Kwame Jackson, the runner-up.

Advertisement

Pruitt described it this way, he said he, Carolyn Kepcher (who ran Trump’s hospitality units at the time), and Jay Bienstock (the ‘Apprentice’ showrunner at the time) were huddled up to discuss the last two guys in a recorded moment.

READ ALSO: Mexican Mayoral Candidate Assassinated At Point-blank Range[VIDEO]

He said this was meant to be filmed as a lead-up to Trump’s ultimate decision and as the team briefed the former President on who they thought would be best, he allegedly winced at the suggestion that Kwame should be considered the top dog.

Pruitt says Kepcher told him, “I think Kwame would be a great addition to the organization,” to which Trump allegedly grimaced. Pruitt says Trump asked why Kwame didn’t fire Omarosa after some problems and the former President’s team defended Kwame, saying he didn’t have that power.

Advertisement

Then Trump allegedly said; “Yeah, but, I mean, would America buy a n***** winning?” Pruitt said Kepcher went pale after hearing this and claimed Trump continued to wince as he mulled it all over, seeming serious about not wanting Kwame to take first place. Bienstock then allegedly changed the subject and pivoted to George Ross, one of Trump’s attorneys who was also supposedly in the mix for this conversation.

READ ALSO: Biden Calls Trump Main Threat To US Democracy

After that, Pruitt says no one acknowledged what Trump said and the alleged recorded moment never saw the light of day neither did other unsavoury things he claims Trump said during filming. Trump has long denied ever saying it and there’s never been proof. However, this is the first time anyone’s described the alleged utterance of it from Trump’s lips.

A rep for the Trump campaign has reacted to the claim, saying: “This is a completely fabricated and bull*** story that was already peddled in 2016. Nobody took it seriously then, and they won’t now, because it’s fake news. Now that Crooked Joe Biden and the Democrats are losing the election, they are bringing up old fake stories from the past because they are desperate.”

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Headline

Mexican Mayoral Candidate Assassinated At Point-blank Range[VIDEO]

Published

on

Alfredo Cabrera, the mayoral candidate in Mexico has been assassinated at point-blank range while campaigning.

Cabrera was captured on video smiling and greeting supporters in the middle of his final campaign rally stop in Coyuca de Benitez, Guerrero, on Wednesday, May 29, just moments before he was brutally shot.

The attacker could be seen with a gun in his hand, boldly pointed at the back of Cabrera’s head just as he was about to address 300 supporters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Police Drop Charges Against World Number One Golfer, Scheffler

The video gets fuzzy, but you can hear the sound of gunshots in succession, along with the panicked screams of terrified supporters.

Another distressing video captured later shows Cabrera’s lifeless body lying on the ground at the abandoned campaign rally event and the body of the purported gunman is also seen. The prosecutor’s office confirmed the alleged attacker was killed at the scene.

Cabrera’s murder adds to the grim tally of murdered candidates, mostly vying for mayor or town councils in Mexico’s 2024 election cycle, now reaching 36, making it the bloodiest election in the country’s history.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:17-year-old Nigerian Offered Full Scholarships To Study Software Engineering

A day earlier, a mayoral candidate in the central state of Morelos met a tragic end while another contender was shot and left seriously injured in western Jalisco state.

Watch the video below;

Continue Reading

Headline

Supreme Court Judge Refuses To Step Aside In Trump Case

Published

on

A conservative Supreme Court justice on Wednesday rejected calls to recuse himself from cases involving Donald Trump after flags linked to the former president’s false election fraud claims were flown outside his home and vacation property.

Justice Samuel Alito, in a letter to the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said the flags were flown by his wife and did not meet the conditions for recusal in the court’s code of conduct.

Alito has been facing recusal calls since The New York Times reported this month that an inverted American flag was flown outside his home in the weeks following the January 6, 2021 storming of the US Capitol by Trump supporters.

Advertisement

A similarly provocative “Appeal to Heaven” flag featuring a pine tree on a white background was flown outside the Alito vacation home in New Jersey last summer, according to the newspaper.

READ ALSO: Biden Calls Trump Main Threat To US Democracy

Both flags have been associated with Trump’s false claims that he won the 2020 election over Democrat Joe Biden.”

Alito, in his letter, said he had “nothing whatsoever” to do with the flying of the upside down American flag outside his Virginia home.

Advertisement

“As soon as I saw it, I asked my wife to take it down, but for several days, she refused,” he said.

He said his wife flew the flag in response to a neighbor who had “displayed a sign attacking her personally.”

As for the flag flown outside their vacation home, Alito said he “had no involvement in the decision to fly that flag” and neither he nor his wife was aware that it was associated with Trump’s so-called “Stop the Steal Movement.”

READ ALSO: Porn Star Testifies Against Trump At Hush Money Trial

Advertisement

“My wife is fond of flying flags. I am not,” he said.

A reasonable person who is not motivated by political or ideological considerations or a desire to affect the outcome of Supreme Court cases would conclude that this event does not meet the applicable standard for recusal,” he added.

– ‘Appearance of bias’ –

Trump, in a post on Truth Social, praised Alito for “showing the INTELLIGENCE, COURAGE, and ‘GUTS’ to refuse stepping aside from making a decision on anything January 6th related.”

Advertisement

Alito, 74, who was nominated by Republican president George W. Bush, is considered one of the most conservative justices on the nine-member court and was the author of the June 2022 opinion overturning the constitutional right to abortion.

Dick Durbin, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and a number of other Democratic lawmakers had called for Alito to recuse himself from cases involving Trump and the 2020 election.

READ ALSO: Trump Urges Republicans To Kill Ukraine Aid Bill

“Flying an upside-down American flag – a symbol of the so-called ‘Stop the Steal’ movement – clearly creates the appearance of bias,” Durbin said.

Advertisement

The high court is currently weighing two cases which address January 6, including a Trump claim of presidential immunity in his election interference case. Rulings are due in late June or early July.

Another conservative justice on the court, Clarence Thomas, 75, has ignored calls to recuse himself on grounds that his wife took part in the drive to keep Trump in power even after he lost the election.

The Supreme Court adopted an ethics code in November of last year following a series of scandals over lavish gifts and luxury vacations received by Thomas and Alito, both of whom have denied any impropriety.

AFP

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending