Connect with us

News

How, Cause Of Veteran Actor, Dejo Tunfulu’s Death Revealed

Published

on

On April 1, 2022, when news filtered in that Adekunle Adetokunbo, an actor known for his comic performances and hilarious appearances in Yoruba movies was dead, his fans wished it was an April fool joke. It, however, turned out to be true.

The death of the actor, popularly addressed by his stage name, Dejo Tunfulu, came as a shock to many Nigerians, especially those who were unaware of his ill health.

Advertisement

Following allegations of medical negligence levelled against the Ikorodu General Hospital and the wide outcry that it generated, PUNCH Healthwise, interviewed his family members, acquaintances and fellow actors to get a good grasp of what actually transpired.

First, it was gathered that the 53-year-old, battled with chronic kidney disease for several years.

It was also learnt that Adetokunbo, who resided in the Ikorodu area of Lagos, became critically ill in the early hours of March 31.

Advertisement

PUNCH Healthwise gathered that when the family members could no longer manage his condition at home, he was taken to a private hospital, where he had been receiving medical treatment.

READ ALSO: Why Most Veteran Actors Are Off The Screen Revealed

It was learnt that the unnamed health facility refused to treat the actor and quickly referred him to Ikorodu General Hospital.

Advertisement

According to Adetunji, the actor’s second son, “It started around 2am. We tried to feed him but he won’t accept anything. Around 4am, we did not understand what the problem was and took him to the private hospital where he uses, but the doctor sent us to Ikorodu General Hospital, saying it is not something they can treat.”

The 27-year-old told The PUNCH correspondent that his father could not talk and was already paralysed.

Adetunji said when they got to the Ikorodu General Hospital, his father was attended to and tests were conducted.

Advertisement

Unfortunately, Adetokunbo, who did not spend 24 hours in the public facility, died before the results of the test were out.

Emaciated, low PCV.

When our correspondent visited the Ikorodu General Hospital, a health worker familiar with Adetokunbo’s case, said when he was brought in, he had emaciated so much.

Advertisement

“He was so lean that it was from the shape of his head that I knew it was the popular Dejo,” the source, who craved anonymity, said.

Another source told our correspondent that as of the time he was brought to the facility, his Packed Cell Volume, a measurement of the proportion of the red blood cells in the body, was less than 20 per cent.

READ ALSO: Nigerians Urged To Save Veteran Actor’s Life

Advertisement

PUNCH Healthwise gathered that the average PCV of a male is between 40-45 per cent.

“They brought him in with 18 per cent PCV. So he needed to have a blood transfusion. Before his death, he had been transfused with two pints of blood. It was when the medical director and his team were conducting ward round on the night of March 31, that the doctor on duty was told to get the second pint of blood,” the source said.

This information was corroborated by his son, Adetunji, who said his late father had blood transfusion and that they were made to pay N7, 500, to have the two pints of blood screened.

Advertisement

He battled kidney disease

A veteran actor and close associate of the late Adetokunbo, Remi Shitta-Bey, told our correspondent that the deceased was only diagnosed with severe malaria and claimed to have a copy of the medical report.

When The PUNCH correspondent requested for a copy, Shitta-Bey promised to provide it later.

Advertisement

“If they need it, I will present it, but I won’t give anyone a copy now,” he said.

However, in addition to Shitta-Bey’s claims, it was reliably gathered that the late actor was previously diagnosed with chronic kidney disease.

A family friend, who did not want his name to be mentioned, said he was aware that the late actor nursed the disease for months.

Advertisement

“I don’t know if the family was aware, but he once confided in me that he went to get his drugs. I’m not sure if his children are aware but they should be,” he said.

However, during the interview with PUNCH Healthwise, Adetunji was silent on the medical history of his father.

“We still spoke on March 30, and everybody in the neighbourhood knew him to be very jovial and a fun-loving person. It was as if he knew that he was going to die because of the things he was saying.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO : Breaking: Veteran Yorubas Actor Is Dead

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Aina Peters, chronic kidney disease is a slow and gradually progressive condition that causes kidney dysfunction.

He explained that if one of the two kidneys in a person stops functioning correctly, the other may still carry out normal functions.

Advertisement

“A kidney may deteriorate to a certain level of dysfunction and not get any worse. Sometimes, however, the condition may progress to kidney failure,” he added.

Family, friends allege negligence

Though Adetunji believes that his father’s death was the will of God, he told PUNCH Healthwise that the actor could have survived if the doctor on duty had attended to him 10 minutes before he gave up the ghost.

Advertisement

He recounted, “I was with him and won’t say something and take it back. I told the doctor on night duty that his breathing had changed but the lady said it was due to the blood transfusion.

“Maybe if they had responded to me then, he would have survived. It wasn’t more than 10 minutes after I spoke with the doctor that he gave up the ghost.”

On his part, Shitta-Bey, said, “I was there when they took him to hospital in the early hours of Thursday. They called me because I am the chairman of his caucus, the Ire caucus.

Advertisement

“I joined them at the hospital, spoke with the doctor and provided all that they said they needed. We were told that he needed blood around 11pm. I went home after that. It was when I woke up around 7am that I heard that Dejo had died. I was called when he passed on, but I had gone to bed and my phone was on silent mode.

“When I got back to the hospital, I leartnt that it was the negligence of the doctor on duty that killed him. I was told that he was abandoned after they gave him water to drink. Had it meant that four to five doctors attended to him and were checking up on him regularly, this wouldn’t have happened.”

Advertisement

The veteran actor claimed that no fewer than six corpses were brought out of the emergency unit where the late actor was admitted.

“I saw corpses that were being taken out one after the other from the emergency unit. We don’t value human lives in Nigeria. Abroad where I lived for years, the doctors will first attend to you before demanding for money. There is also insurance that will take care of you here,” he said.

Hospital reacts

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the management of Ikorodu General Hospital in a statement signed by  its spokesman, Yekini Saheed, and made available to PUNCH Healthwise, claimed that the, “late Adetokunbo had been battling with multiple organ failure and immunosuppression with attendant remarkable weight loss, poor appetite, laboured breathing, and increasing weakness for months before presentation.

 “He was said to have complained of headache, vomiting and sudden collapse resulting in weakness on the left side of his body, which started hours before presentation at our A & E.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

News

Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef

Published

on

By

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday shocked a female puff-puff seller during a rally in Osogbo by buying all her snacks with ₦50,000 and offering her employment as a chef at the Government House.

This happened when Osun public servants trooped out in their thousands in what they called an appreciation solidarity rally in support of the governor for his support and care since he took over state governance.

Advertisement

It was observed that the governor, who sat in the bus, had sighted the woman who was among the crowd cheering him.

He immediately beckoned to the woman carrying a plastic container filled with puff-puff on her head and asked how much it would cost to buy all the snacks.

READ ALSO:Adeleke Flies To US For Davido’s Wedding

Advertisement

The female hawker, who was visibly surprised and star-struck at the level of her proximity to the governor, found it difficult to even tell the governor how much she sold the snacks.

Surprisingly, Adeleke handed her a bundle of ₦50,000 to the cheers of the crowd.

The lucky woman knelt down in appreciation of the governor’s generosity.

Advertisement

Excited onlookers quickly rushed to share the snacks in the plastic already purchased by the governor.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Hosts Gov Adeleke, Deji Adeleke, Davido In Lagos

The governor invited the vendor inside the vehicle where one of his officials questioned her academic background, and she revealed that she holds a Nigerian Certificate in Education.

Advertisement

Adeleke further asked about the dishes she could prepare and instructed his aides to take her contact details for employment as a chef in the Government House.

Confirming the development, the Commissioner II at the Osun State Civil Service Commission, Olaniyan Taofeek, shared the video on X (formerly Twitter), writing: “The moment Gov. Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller into a Government House chef.”

READ ALSO:It’s Like He Came Back – Davido Discloses Son’s Resemblance To Late Ifeanyi Adeleke

Advertisement

A Special Assistant to the Governor on Digital Media, Oni Gbenga Lawrence, also corroborated the incident in a post on X, stating: “Moment Governor Ademola Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller to Government Chef… not only ₦50k but he invited her into his car and employed her as chef in the Government House.”

The Guardian correspondent, who was at the scene of the welcome rally, made efforts to interview the lucky vendor, but they did not yield as she was not allowed to alight from the bus throughout the event.
(The Guardian)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools

Published

on

By

The Katsina State Government has withdrawn the operating licenses of all private and community schools in the state, with effect from August 13, 2025.

The announcement came through a circular issued by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education and signed by Commissioner Hajiya Zainab Musa-Musawa.

Advertisement

The ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Sani Danjuma, released the document in Katsina on Saturday.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated

According to the circular, the move is part of the government’s effort to strengthen quality assurance and standardization within the education sector.

Advertisement

The withdrawal of licenses is aimed at ensuring that schools operate in line with approved standards and provide quality education to students,” Danjuma said.

The circular also outlined a review of fees for license application, registration, and annual renewal.

READ ALSO:Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes

Advertisement

“Owners of affected schools are required to obtain fresh licenses by submitting proof of payment to the ministry on or before September 30, 2025.”

The statement also added that school operators have been warned not to increase tuition or other charges without government approval.

The ministry further promised to issue additional guidelines soon, including categorization of schools and the revised fee structure.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead

Published

on

By

British-born Nigerian missionary, Ruth Elton, reputed to be the oldest missionary has passed on at the age of 91.

Ruth Elton, born 7 September 1933, was a British-born Nigerian missionary whose lifelong dedication to faith, healing, and revival left an indelible mark on communities across western and central Nigeria.

Advertisement

It was learnt that Elton died on Saturday at Sharon compound, Alafia Bamin Quarters in Ilesa, Osun State.

She was the only daughter of Pa Elton and her remains have been deposited at the mortuary.

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead

Advertisement

Ruth Elton, daughter of Sydney Granville Elton (Pa Elton), who is referred to as one of the founding fathers of Pentecostalism in Nigeria, had approached a Kaduna court and nationalised as a Nigerian.

At old age and despite the happenings in Nigeria, she still held in high esteem her father’s prophecies that although Nigeria could be known globally for corruption, it would only for a while as new dawn would beckon when the country would be known worldwide for righteousness and prosperity.

Elton moved to Nigeria in 1937 with her parents and served as a Christian missionary across Egbe, Okene, Koton Karfe, and other parts of Kogi, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun States.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Viral TV Judge Frank Caprio Is Dead

A naturalised Nigerian, having renounced her British citizenship in the 1970s, she embraced the country completely and became fluent in Ebira and Yoruba.

Elton, who remained single, believed that she had made a true mark in the country and apart from her missionary work, she saw her efforts in taming infant mortality, especially in Okene, Kogi State as a generational impact.

Advertisement

Relating her experience on infant mortality in the country, Elton recently noted that many newborn babies had passed on due to lack of proper care and hygiene, adding that the practice of force-feeding babies contributed to the challenges, especially in the face of poor awareness.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version