Connect with us

News

How Soldiers Were Ambushed, Killed In Delta Community, Ex-General Speaks

Published

on

Major General Cecil Esekhaigbe (retd.) has revealed how 16 military personnel were murdered last Thursday in the Okuama community of Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State.

Esekhaigbe stated that the unsuspecting soldiers were ambushed by residents of the community.

He disclosed this when he was featured as a guest on Channels Television’s The Morning Brief breakfast show on Monday.

Advertisement

No fewer than 16 Nigerian soldiers were killed while on a mission to douse clashes between two communities in the South-South state of Delta on Thursday.

The Defence Headquarters said the personnel consisted of two Majors, one Captain, and 12 soldiers.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Soldiers Bar Journalists As Delta Gov Visits Troubled Community

According to a statement by the Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, the troops from the 181 Amphibious Battalion were deployed in the Bomadi region and were on a peace-keeping mission in the Okuoma community when they were killed on Thursday.

Advertisement

The killings have been condemned by many stakeholders with President Bola Tinubu vowing that the perpetrators will not go unpunished.

Reacting to the killings, Esekhaigbe said the soldiers were in the coastal community to find out why their colleagues who were on a peacekeeping mission to the village were held hostage and not to fight.

He added that the soldiers would not have been killed if they had been prepared.

He said, “It is unfortunate that we have spent a lot of money on a thing we called amnesty programme which was designed for those militia groups to lay down their weapons.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Edo Govt Reacts To Abduction Of State PDP Chair, His Assures Safe Release

“If after the amnesty and the purported surrendering of weapons, we still have local communities that have sophisticated weapons like this, it calls for a re-examination of the entire process.

“Now, don’t forget you called it a peace mission, the mindset of these officers and men was to go and find out what the problems were and to find out why their men were kept behind. So, their mind was not to go and fight and that is what we must understand. So, they were not going with the mentality of going for an attack, if they, even as few as they were, they would not have been able to surround and dastardly murder them the way they did.

“So, what played out here is that they fell into an ambush because these militia groups have sophisticated weapons and when you are ambushed, no matter how sophisticated you are, you will definitely have the consequences of an ambush. That calls to mind the need for training and retraining because you must know the local environment in which you are operating.”

Advertisement

Speaking on the insecurity in the state, Esekhaigbe listed the proliferation of small arms and light weapons, drug abuse and lack of governance as contributory factors.

He, however, called for the rejig of the institutions rather than just renaming them.

READ ALSO: Ghana’s High Commissioner To Nigeria Is Dead

“We have what we call institutional failure in all sectors. Let me tell you the contributory factors of this insecurity that is everywhere, one is the proliferation of small arms and light weapons all over the place.

Advertisement

“Two is the menace of drug abuse, and three is the lack of governance in this state. I heard they have small arms and light weapons centre domiciled in the NSA office. what are they bringing on board? You don’t domicile something and just be in an office like that. they are supposed to go out and retrieve these arms.

“We must rejig our institutions not just by giving them names and domiciling them somewhere. Two, what is the National Orientation Agency doing if not to re-orientate our psyche? This hatred and unnecessary and unwanted killing of people without any meaningful reason should be duly addressed.

“Three, some of these governors have humongous security votes. What do you do with this humongous security vote if the lives of your community are the community is continuously threatened and communal clashes abound everywhere without a meaningful response from the government? Let’s get serious.”

Advertisement

News

Emirship Tussle: Court Restrains Ado-Bayero, 4 Others From Acting As Emirs

Published

on

A Kano State High Court, on Monday, granted a perpetual injunction restraining the 15th Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado-Bayero, and four other dethroned emirs of Bichi, Rano, Gaya and Karaye from parading themselves as emirs.

The applicants are the Attorney General of Kano State, the Speaker Kano State House of Assembly and the Kano State House of Assembly, who through their counsel Ibrahim Isah-Wangida Esq, filed a motion exparte dated May 27.

The applicants sought a court order restraining Ado-Bayero, and Four other dethroned emirs of Bichi, Rano, Gaya and Karaye from parading themselves as emirs.

Advertisement

The respondents are: Ado-Bayero, Alhaji Nasiru Ado-Bayero Bichi emir, Dr Ibrahim Abubakar ll, emir of Karaye, Alhaji Kabiru Muhammad-Inuwa, emir of Rano and Alhaji Aliyu Ibrahim-Gaya, emir of Gaya.

READ ALSO: Emirate Tussle: Flag Of Authority Hoisted At Aminu Ado Bayero’s Mini Palace

Others are the Inspector General of Police, Director of State Security Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Nigeria Army.

Delivering the judgment, Justice Amina Adamu-Aliyu, held that the Kano State House of Assembly had powers to amend and propose a bill for the peace and good governance of a state under section 4 rule 6,7(b) of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Advertisement

The Kano State Governor has the right to ascent the proposed bill to law after being passed by the state assembly.”

The court also restrained the Police and other security agencies from violating, disobeying or tempering the Kano State Emirate (Repeal) Law 2024.

READ ALSO: UAE Resumes Visa Issuance To Nigerians

The deposed Emirs shall surrender all movable and immovable properties in their possession that belong to the Kano State Emirate Council to the state government” Adamu-Aliyu said.

Advertisement

She held that the first respondent legal counsel withdrawal without notice to other parties is unprofessional and that moving their motion is as good as not filing it since it has been abandoned.

The judge said the act of the 6th to 9 respondent for smuggling the first respondent to Kano after the enactment of the Emirate Repeal Law 2024 disregards what they have sworn for the protection of life and property.

Earlier, Counsel to the applicant, Mr Ibrahim Isa-Wangida, urged the court to discount the respondent’s affidavit of facts under order 39 rules 1 and 2 of the Court.

READ ALSO: Jubilation As. Oba Of Benin Receives Two Looted Artefacts, US Custodian Apologises

Advertisement

Counsel to Ado-Bayero, Mr Abdul Muhammed SAN, informed the court that they have an affidavit of fact dated July 3, 2024, attached with a notice of appeal and a motion of stay of proceedings.

He urged the court to stay of proceedings pending the hearing and determination of the motion at the appeal court.

NAN reports that Ado-Bayero’s counsel on July 4, withdrew their legal services before the court.

Counsel to the 3rd, 4th and 5th respondents, Hassan Tanko-Kyaure, moved his application for an extension of time dated July 2 and counter affidavit in response to the originating motion.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Nigeria’s Public Officials Received ₦721bn Bribe In 2023 – UN, NBS

He urged the court to set aside the Kano State Emirates Council (Repeal) law 2024, adding that due process were not followed and urged the court to dismiss the applicant’s application with a cost of N1 billion.

Counsel to the Inspector/General of Police, Mr Sunday Ekwe, told the court that he had nothing to present.

NAN reports that the applicants, 3,4and 5th respondents moved their applications, for extension of time, notice of preliminary objection, setting aside exparte order, joinder application, examining deponent, application for the Judge to recuse herself and originating summon.

Advertisement

NAN reports that the State House of Assembly on May 23, dissolved all the four newly created Emirate council’s in the state and Gov. Abba Kabir-Yusuf, reappointed Lamido Sanusi, as the Emir of Kano.

Continue Reading

News

Otuaro Repositioning PAP; Detractors Steer Clear – Rivers Monarch, Ateke Tom Cautions

Published

on

HRM Ateke Tom (left) and Dr Dennis Otuaro during the visit at the weekend

The king of Okochiri Kingdom in Okirika Local Government Area of Rivers State, His Royal Majesty, Ateke Tom, has cautioned detractors of the Administrator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP), Dr Dennis Otuaro, to stop their distractive activities and allow him (Otuaro) to concentrate on his job.

The first-class monarch gave the warning when the PAP boss visited him at his palace in Okochiri at the weekend, according to a statement by Special Assistant on Media to the PAP Administrator, Mr Igoniko Oduma.

The Royal Father, while hailing Otuaro for the achievements so far in the PDP, stressed that the PAP boss had demonstrated that he has the capacity to pilot the affairs of the programme.

Advertisement

He noted that Otuaro had quietly carried out well-thought-out reforms to reposition the PAP for better and quality service delivery.

READ ALSO: PAP Boss, Otuaro, Calls For Unity, Promises To Capture Stakeholders Not Captured

In his response, Otuaro, while describing Okochiri as an ancient kingdom in Ijaw land, explained that his visit to the traditional ruler was part of his ongoing consultations and engagements with critical stakeholders of the Niger Delta.

The PAP boss noted that King Tom was one of the major Niger Delta activists who was consistent with his advocacy for a better standard of living for the region.

Advertisement

He thanked King Tom for his fatherly advice and words of encouragement, saying that he and members of his team were poised to continually render quality service in line with the renewed hope agenda of the President.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Jubilation As. Oba Of Benin Receives Two Looted Artefacts, US Custodian Apologises

Published

on

It was a moment of jubilation and joy at the palace of Oba of Benin as Ewuare II on Monday, received two artefacts; a mother hen and a bronze plaque from the University of Iowa Museum, United States of America.

This would be the second time in two months that the monarch would receive returned artefacts.

On May 18, he received two artefacts from Germany which are among those looted from the palace in the 1897 invasion of the Benin Kingdom.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: UAE Resumes Visa Issuance To Nigerians

The Oba, while receiving the items in his palace, said the immediate past president of the federation, President Muhammadu Buhari made the ownership of artefacts very clear through his gazette before he left office.

He alluded to some of the earlier ones returned to the palace which he said his forebears started the process but he was able to accomplish the feat when he ascended the throne.

The royal father said the artefacts were not just items but that they have spiritual implications which mortals cannot understand.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Elon Musk,World Leaders, Celebrities, Others React To failed Ass@sination Attempt On Trump

He, therefore, appealed to the political leaders to help preserve the traditions and customs of the land.

Earlier, Mr. Cory Gundlach, the Curator, African Art of Stanley Museum, Iowa, United States of America, apologized to the Oba of Benin for using the artefacts as teaching materials in the University.

He also apologized on behalf of his other colleagues who have used the arts to teach thousands of students in the United States of America without the consent of the original owner.

Advertisement

He assured the monarch of his determination to ensure that others that are kept elsewhere are returned to their original abode.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending