Connect with us

Metro

Ile-Epo: 50 Suspects Arrested, Drug Den Uncovered, Say Police

Published

on

The Nigerian Police Force says it has successfully restored normalcy to Ile-Epo in the Abule Egba area of Lagos State following clashes between youths and hoodlums.

The PUNCH reported that many people were injured after hoodlums clashed in the Ile-Epo area

Advertisement

It was gathered that a fight started in the market situated in the area on Wednesday night and continued till Thursday morning. Some shops were set on fire while some goods were destroyed in the process.

READ ALSO: [JUST IN] PICTURES: Hoodlums Clash In Lagos, Set Market On Fire

However, in a development on Thursday afternoon, the police, led by Divisional Police Officer of Oke-Odo, noted they responded to reports of the unrest in Ile-Epo.

Advertisement

Over fifty suspects linked to the clashes were apprehended, and the shanties they occupied were demolished, effectively dislodging them from their illicit activities.

“Over fifty suspects have so far been arrested while the shanties they occupied have been destroyed, effectively dislodging them,” the statement read.

However, during the operation to dismantle the shanties, law enforcement officers stumbled upon a hidden drug den that had been operating in plain sight.

Advertisement

The discovery shed light on the extent of criminal activities in the area and raised concerns about the prevalence of drug-related issues.

READ ALSO: LIST: Nigerian Passport Ranked Among Worst Globally

This was made known in a statement posted by the Lagos State Police Command, signed by the Lagos PPRO, SP Benjamin Hundeyin on Thursday.

Advertisement

According to the statement, Commissioner of Police, CP Adegoke Fayoade, wasted no time in directing the prompt prosecution of the arrested hoodlums.

“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Adegoke Fayoade, has directed the prompt prosecution of the arrested hoodlums and has equally warned that the Command would decisively deal with anyone found breaching the peace, in accordance with the law,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, the Assistant Commissioner of Police (Operations), Area Commander Alagbado, alongside other Divisional Police Officers under the Area Command, remained on the ground to prevent any potential breakdown of law and order in the area.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun

Published

on

Operatives of the Ogun State Police Command have foiled an armed robbery attempt along the Sagamu–Benin Expressway, killing one suspect and rescuing passengers trapped in the attack.

The incident occurred when a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number ENU 371 XJ, driven by one Mba Kingsley Chukwuemeka, was ambushed by a gang of about ten armed robbers at Imere Junction.

Advertisement

Spokesman for the Command said a patrol team led by ASP Ayodele Ajao responded swiftly, engaging the hoodlums in a gun battle. One of the robbers was neutralised while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

The rescued passengers and the driver were taken to safety, while the corpse of the deceased suspect was deposited at the Ijebu-Ode General Hospital morgue for autopsy. The Command added that efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

Advertisement

In a related development, the police recovered a suspected stolen tricycle at Itele during a routine stop-and-search.

The tricycle, with registration number APP 171 OM and chassis number MB6M14PA0N4L10498, was abandoned by its rider, who fled on sighting the operatives. It has since been taken to the station as the investigation continues to trace the rightful owner.

READ ALSO:Police Rescue 16 Kidnap Victims Along Benin-Lagos Road

Advertisement

Also, two suspects, Adebayo Adeleke and Ibrahim Taiwo, were arrested in Idiroko for allegedly stealing a police exhibit. The duo, reportedly caught removing a revolving light from a Hilux vehicle parked at the station, were handed over by one Oyeyemi Omotayo.

Police disclosed that the suspects confessed to the crime during interrogation, while the exhibit was recovered. The case is currently under investigation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue

Published

on

A combined team of Policemen from Benue and Enugu States have apprehended a suspected kidnapper’s gang leader identified as Yusuf Muhamed, in Orokam, Ogbadibo Local Government Area of Benue State.

According to residents of the area, the suspect and his group had been terrorising some communities in the local government leading the chairman of the local government to impose curfew in the council.

Advertisement

One of the residents, Mike Agbo said that the gang leader and others were apprehended during the week.

Agbo said, “The suspect’s identity was confirmed by three kidnapped victims who revealed that Muhamed was the officer in charge of torture in the kidnappers’ camp.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest ‘One-chance’ Suspects Linked To Killing Of Benue Lady, Grace Alewa In Abuja

Advertisement

His easy identification is a result of his bad left hand.

Confirming the incident to journalists on Saturday in a telephone chat, chairman of Ogbadibo LGA, Sunday Ajunwa said that the kidnapper’s gang leader was arrested by combined teams of policemen and vigilance group in the area.

The chairman said, “It is true that Yusuf has been arrested by the combined team of Police from Makurdi and Enugu as well as the vigilante in the area.

Advertisement

“He attempted to run but the youths pursued and caught him. Those he kidnapped made a confessional statement of how he tortured them in captivity.”

The chairman added that the suspect alongside 21 other suspects was in police custody.

READ ALSO:Police Recruitment: PSC Moves To Stop Hijack Of Exercise By Politicians

Advertisement

Ajunwa who also confirmed that the rampant insecurity in his council made him impose curfew from 6pm to 6am said that the security situation in the area has improved.

The security situation in Orokam is stable though the curfew from 6pm to 6am is still enforced. But I am thinking of lifting it after meeting with security agencies and stakeholders,” the chairman said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer for the State Command, DSP, Udeme Edet said she was yet to receive the report.

Advertisement

Edet said, “Please what do you want to confirm, I’m yet to confirm it. When I get news of it, it will be related.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband

Published

on

He starves me, our children, beat me, left me almost naked in public —Wife

A minibus driver complained before a local court in Lusaka, Zambia, that his wife sleeps in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

Richard Makura, 48, of Kanyama compound was testifying in a case in which his wife, Patricia Mulenga, 40, a business woman sued him for divorce on allegation that he was violent.

Advertisement

According to the Zambian Observer, the two got married in 1996 and have three children.

Patricia told the senior court magistrate, Lewis Mum, sitting with two other magistrates, Abbyshine Michelo and Esther Mulomba at Kanyama Local Court that Richard has been beating her over petty issues since her father in 2004.

READ ALSO:I No Longer Love My Husband, I Want Divorce —Wife

Advertisement

She explained that in 2006, he threatened to burn her clothes and was forced to seek refuge at her parents’ home.

She told the court that he once beat her until she fainted.

Patricia stated that in 2015, Richard started working for APG Milling in Mansa but still failed to provide for the family because he only sent home K50 or K100 per month.

Advertisement

She further said that Richard joined her in June 2016 when his contract was terminated but she never saw the benefits he was given.

READ ALSO:‘My Husband Became Hostile After Losing His Job, Brandished Cutlass At Me’

“When I asked for our children’s school fees, he beat me in public and removed the chitenge material I was wearing.

Advertisement

“I was left in the short skirt I was wearing and in the confusion, he beat a man who wanted to rescue from his hand,” Patricia stated.

In defense, Richard denied being violet but admitted that problem started in 2006 when he had a girlfriend.

READ ALSO:My Wife Denies Me Sex, Neglects Our Children —Husband

Advertisement

He explained that when he came from Mansa, his wife started sleeping in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

The magistrate, Mumba stated that there was violence in their marriage and since Patricia wanted divorce, the court had no power to continue to live with Richard.

He granted the couple divorce, ordering Richard to compensate Patricia with K6,000 with initial payment of K1,000 followed by monthly installment of K400.

Advertisement

Property acquired together was ordered to be shared equally.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending