News
#Independence Anniversary: Nigerians Make Shocking Revelations

Nigeria marks its 62 years of independence anniversary as a nation today.
This year’s anniversary is coming five months close to the 2023 general election, an election many Nigerians believe can change the story of the country for the better.
As it is with the tradition, the Nigerian government had lined up activities to mark the event.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed while reeling out the activities to commemorate the 2022 Independence Day, last week, disclosed there would be a Presidential Broadcast and later on the same day, a Military Parade at the Eagle Square, Central Business District, Abuja.
The Minister further announced that the Award of National Honours would be held as part of the Independence Anniversary on October 11 in the nation’s capital.
Mohammed claimed that celebrating Nigeria’s independence anniversary in 2022 serves as a reminder that, in spite of the challenges the country has faced, Nigerians remain united, adding that President Muhammadu Buhari administration was committed to promoting unity, security and stability of the country.
However, some Nigerians have expressed mixed feelings about the celebration of this year’s independence anniversary, noting that the country, as it stands now, is currently regarded as one of the worst places to be born, with numerous intractable challenges that have defied solutions.
Many also wonder why those in power are more concerned about the squandering of resources without thinking about the devastating consequences on the hapless poor citizens.
Most of the respondents, who spoke to DAILY POST, expressed disappointment while grieving about the way things are in the country.
At the Orange Market in Mararaba, Karu Area Council of Nasarawa State, the mood of disappointment rent the air.
Some market women DAILY POST spoke to, expressed dissatisfaction over the fact that Nigeria at 62 was still limping on wounded legs, insisting that insecurity and corruption were the orders of the day.
A woman said, “Our dear country is blessed with abundant resources but those in the leadership position do not know how to use it for the good of the people. No country can grow where leaders cannot see beyond their noses. There is no visible sign of development and Nigeria is in total darkness. Most of our leaders are political looters”.
Though he initially hesitated to speak to the DAILY POST, an FCT taxi driver, Ahmed, did not hold back his anger.
“I can tell you sincerely that there is nothing worth celebrating in the so-called independence celebration of Nigeria. The only thing that is worth celebrating in this country is nothing but sorrow, tears, blood, corruption and undemocratic values,” he said.
A Port Harcourt based legal practitioner, Peter Ugwuoke, is of the opinion that a society that doesn’t value education, only spells doom and gloom for the future; making the task of imbibing patriotism and nation-building especially ardent.
“What exactly are we celebrating, the fact that there are numerous students roaming the streets due to the ASUU strike, or the high unemployment rate; a dire situation with many societal implications- as prostitution seems to be the ‘easy’ route for many of the affected females”, he angrily retorted.
He suggested that the nation needs to reinvent the culture of discipline, honesty, diligence in hard work and being your brother’s keeper- amongst many other good practices.
Also speaking, a senior lecturer at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Dr Victor Bassey said it is only those who participated or are still participating in the looting of the national treasury who are celebrating.
“I am not celebrating Nigeria at 62, because there is nothing to celebrate in the true sense- except if you are part of those involved in the ‘oil theft’ racket or those sharing the commonwealth of the citizenry, then maybe you may have some reason to celebrate.
READ ALSO: Cleric Knocks Ex-SGF, Backs Tinubu’s Meeting With Bishops
“Those cornering the wealth of the majority should remember though, your celebration is in vain, as you are surrounded by those you have looted from will strike back in full measure,” he said.
He added that the dearth of good leadership has been one of the major challenges but he believes there is hope, advising that patriots mustn’t relent and must continue to prod the cause till the good ones amongst the people emerge and take hold of affairs.
Notwithstanding the prevailing negative mood in the country, many believe the country is blessed with abundant resources, and are hoping that those in the leadership position will know how to tap into those resources to achieve the desired development.
News
Benin Unity Cup: Ikpoba-Okha Rescue Stoppage-Time Point As Orhionmwon Hit Four In Thrilling Football Weekend

The maiden Benin Unity Cup delivered a whirlwind of drama across Match Day Two, with Friday’s stoppage-time heroics and Saturday’s goal-laden clashes keeping fans at the Crescent Sports Club, Irhirhi, on the edge of their seats.
Ikpoba-Okha Steal Late Draw; Ovia North East Win by Walkover
Ikpoba-Okha produced one of the tournament’s standout moments on Friday as Emeka Nwaneda struck deep into stoppage time to deny Egor what had seemed a certain victory.
The opening fixture began cautiously, with both sides locked in a tense, goalless first half. Egor broke the deadlock barely three minutes after the restart, as Towo Eventus finished clinically to ignite celebrations in the stands and tilt momentum their way.
But just when Egor appeared set to close out the match, Ikpoba-Okha delivered a dramatic twist. In the 90th minute, Nwaneda showcased composure and flair to fire home the equaliser, stunning the Egor bench and sending the crowd into a frenzy.
READ ALSO:Ikpoba-Okha Trade Tackles With Ovia N-East As Benin Unity Cup Kicks Off
The day’s second match ended without a ball being kicked. Ovia North East were awarded a walkover after Uhunmwonde failed to honour their fixture, with match officials confirming the decision following the standard 30-minute waiting period.
Attention quickly shifted to Saturday’s double-header, which proved even more explosive.
Orhionmwon Overpower Ovia South West 4–2 in Six-Goal Thriller
Saturday’s early kick-off saw Orhionmwon storm to a commanding 4–2 victory over Ovia South West in a match brimming with attacking verve.
READ ALSO:US Museum Returns Two Benin Bronzes To Nigeria
Iworie Chinedu set the tone almost immediately, weaving through the defence to score the tournament’s fastest goal. Ovia South West replied in the 13th minute through Oghene Ovo, who finished a slick team move to restore parity.
But Orhionmwon seized control before the break. Osifo Osakpolor struck in the 35th minute, and four minutes later Kish Danjuma extended the lead to 3–1. The second half had barely resumed when Osakpolor completed his brace in the 46th minute, effectively putting the contest beyond reach.
Ovia South West pulled one back late on through Osadolor Lucky, but the goal served only as consolation as Orhionmwon claimed a deserved win.
Oredo Derby Ends in Six-Goal Spectacle
The much-anticipated Oredo derby lived up to its billing, as Oredo I and Oredo II battled to an exhilarating 3–3 draw in one of the most dramatic fixtures of the competition so far.
READ ALSO:Sen. Imasuen Champions Respect, Responsibility As ‘Comprehending Gen Z + Gen A’ Returns In Benin
Oredo II struck first when Waheed Ahmed found the net in the 27th minute, but Oredo I responded with an explosive start to the second half. Goals from Samuel Brownson (47’), Sunday Henry (49’), and a second from Brownson in the 58th minute turned the match on its head.
Refusing to wilt, Oredo II mounted a spirited comeback. Friday Omoregie reduced the deficit in the 52nd minute, and just two minutes later Anthony Ogudu fired home the leveller to seal a pulsating encounter.
With only two matchdays played, the Benin Unity Cup is rapidly gathering momentum—showcasing raw grassroots talent, rekindling local rivalries, and reinforcing the unifying power of football.
The tournament, sponsored by Senator Neda Imasuen, aims to empower young players and provide pathways for emerging talents to secure opportunities abroad.
News
Insecurity: What Sheikh Gumi Told Me After Visiting Bandits Hideouts — Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed details of a private discussion he held with controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, regarding the state of insecurity in Nigeria’s forests and the fortification of bandit hideouts.
Speaking in an interview, Obasanjo disclosed that he invited Sheikh Gumi for a meeting following the cleric’s well-publicised visits to meet with bandits in their forest encampments.
Gumi’s firsthand account, according to Obasanjo’s revelation, challenged official narratives regarding military operations in those areas.
According to Obasanjo, Gumi informed him that the bandits had so heavily fortified their positions that any security personnel claiming to have penetrated those specific enclaves were lying.
Obasanjo recounted that the cleric was visibly emotional while describing the demographics of the insurgents, noting that Gumi admitted to weeping after seeing young boys, aged between 13 and 15, who were soaked in hard drugs and carrying dangerous weapons.
He narrated, “When Sheikh Gumi went to meet those boys in the forest, I invited him to come and see me. The first thing he said is that where those boys are they’ve fortified themself, and even if any security personnel claimed they had gone into the area, they were lying to you. He said what made him weep was [seeing] boys of 13, 14, 15 years, soaked in drugs and carrying gun.”
READ ALSO:Why I Refused To Endorse El-Rufai As My Successor — Obasanjo
The former President described the condition of these children as wrecked, stating that the situation remains a significant source of worry for the nation.
“They are wrecked and that worried us. 20 million children that should be in school but are not in school. Those that have no employment, no job and they see in you in abstain affluence, what do you expect them to do?”, he said.
News
FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

Duke, David Mark, Anenih, Ganduje, CBN, Navy, NNPC, Oyo, Kaduna, Borno, others also affected
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the revocation of 1,095 properties in the FCT belonging to prominent Nigerians after they failed to pay ground rent, land use conversion or Certificate of Occupancy bills. This decision was contained in a statement signed by the management of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Department of Land Administration at the weekend.
The FCTA stated that the enforcement action to be taken against the defaulters commenced after a 14 day grace period, which expired on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. Out of the 1,095 defaulters, 835 were listed as ground rent defaulters, while 260 were listed as land use contravention payment defaulters. The list also contained the file numbers, plot numbers, CADZONE, districts, rent owed, and revocation dates of the listed properties.
The properties listed in the statement included those belonging to federal and state governments, businesses and prominent individuals.
Notable individuals on the list are former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma; former First Lady, Patience Jonathan; former Senate President, David Mark; former Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido; Senator Ali Ndume; former PDP national chairman, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Osun State deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore; Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu Gambari; elderstateman, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; elderstateman, Tony Anenih; former Minister of Petroleum, Alison Madueke.
READ ALSO:BREAKING: Drama As Wike-backed PDP Expels Makinde, Mohammed, Dauda
Former governors on the list include Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano); Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti); Donald Duke (Cross River); Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto); Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe); Ayodele Fayose (Ekiti); Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun).
Others are Minister of State for Industry, John Owan Enoh; Aminu Alhassan Dantata; Bashir Tofa; Audu Abubakar; Bello Mohamed Sani; Mohammed Rabiu; Senator from Ondo State, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim; Ado Abdullahi Bayero; Tanko Abdullahi; Adetunji Olurin; Ghali Umar Na’abba; Dorcas Kuforiji Olubi; Olu Agunloye; Kamorudeen Adekunle Adedibu; Hakeem Baba Ahmed; Iyabo Olusola Obasanjo; Shehu Musa Labaran; Onaolapo Olusegun Soleye; Babatunde Idiagbon.
Notable institutions on the list are the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigeria Navy, the Office of the National Security Adviser, Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno State, Kaduna, Oyo State governments.
READ ALSO:I’ll Support Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria If… – Wike
Others are BUA International Limited, First Bank of Nigeria, Standard Trust Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Committee of Vice Chancellors of federal universities and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).
The FCTA added that the publication of the defaulting properties came after several notices in national dailies, online platforms and television stations requesting the defaulters to settle their financial obligations and liabilities. The FCTA further stated that by defaulting on the payments, the defaulters have “Contravenes the provisions of Section 28, Subsection 5(a) and (b) of the Land Use Act and also the terms and conditions of the grants of the respective Rights of Occupancy.”
Metro5 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News4 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News4 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Metro3 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
Headline4 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
News3 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
Metro3 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
News3 days agoOkpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director
Politics5 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
News4 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France










