Connect with us

Headline

Inflation Threatening Prompt Judgement Delivery In Nigeria, NJC Laments

Published

on

The Executive Secretary of the National Judicial Council (NJC), Ahmed Saleh on Tuesday told the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters that uncontrolled inflation was threatening prompt judgement delivery in Nigeria.

He said the development affects the administration of justices across Nigerian Courts.

Saleh stated this when he appeared before the Senate Committee headed by Senator Bamidele Opeyemi for the 2022 budget defence of the agency.

Advertisement

While giving an overview on the 2021 budget performance, the Executive Secretary lamented that the galloping inflation has hampered the NJC in executing some of its capital projects, hence, they decided to roll them over to 2022.

He said the 2022 budget proposal is pegged at N120 billion to execute projects that have been rolled over.

Explaining that the said the statutory transfer so far in 2021 stood at 70% he expressed optimism that further transfers before the end of the 2021 fiscal year would enable the NJC to achieve more.

“The statutory transfer for the year 2022 will be N120 billion, we are aware that this is possible because of your sustained campaign for the funding of the Judiciary.

Advertisement

“Am glad to report to this committee that out of N110 billion appropriated to us in 2021, we are able to implement 70 percent of our budget”

READ ALSO: Man Arrested For Selling 130 Women 

He added, “Permit me at this point to make some observations regarding the prevailing economic situation in the country. As of 2020 December, the exchange rate of Naira was N380 to $1 and the rate was N480 to $1 at the parallel market.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

EndSARS: No Peace Without Justice, Eedris Abdulkareem To Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

By

Nigerian Music legend, Eedris Abdulkareem has condemned Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu over his invitation for a peace walk in Lagos State.

Sanwo-Olu, in a speech on Tuesday on the Lekki shootings of October 20, 2020, said he will be leading a Walk for Peace in December to herald the “healing of our land”.

“Let me use this occasion to extend an open invitation to our youths, members of the diplomatic corps, civil society groups, students, and the media as well as other stakeholders to join me,” he said.

Advertisement

He specifically extended invitations to Falana, Adebayo, Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalink), Adedotun (Just Detoun), Seun Kuti; Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu; and Commander of Rapid Response Squad CSP Yinka Egbeyemi and others to join him in the “historic march for our dear Lagos.”

Falz and Mr Macaroni have since rejected the invitation as they demanded justice of those allegedly killed during the EndSARS protest before peace can be restored.

Eedris, taking to his Instagram page described the invitation for the walk of peace as being dead on arrival.

READ ALSO: EndSARS: Lagos Govt Releases White Paper In Panel Report

Advertisement

According to him, no amount of walking can get Nigeria to the destination of peace without the route of justice.

His post read, “Dead On Arrival; No amount of walking can get us to the destination of peace without taking the honourable route of justice.

“Sanwo-Olu your walk of peace is dead on arrival.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

BREAKING: Court Dismisses Suit Seeking Soludo’s Disqualification As Anambra Governor-elect

Published

on

By

A Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed a suit seeking the disqualification of Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo as the governor-elect of Anambra State.

Justice Taiwo Oladipupo Taiwo, in a judgment, described the suit as frivolous, irritating, and lacking in merit.

The judge awarded a punitive cost of N2 million against the two plaintiffs to be paid to Soludo and his deputy, Ibezim.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

‘Why We Will Allow ‘Repentant’ Boko Haram Terrorists To Go Scot-free’—Borno Gov

Published

on

By

Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum has said the state government will not prosecute ‘repentant’ Boko Haram insurgents.

While presenting the 2022 budget at the State House Of Assembly on Tuesday, Zulum said terrorists will not be encouraged to eschew violence if they see ‘repentant’ ones being prosecuted.

Addressing the House of Assembly, the governor said, “Mr. Speaker, honourable members, we need Allah’s guidance and the utmost wisdom to work for an end to the crisis facing our dear state.

Advertisement

“Prosecuting all the criminals (insurgents) would have been most appropriate but if we insist on it, we would discourage others out there that are willing to lay down their arms.

“The terrorists’ ranks could swell and our innocent fellow citizens, particularly those in local government areas, could become more vulnerable to attacks and abductions.”

READ ALSO: Police Rescue Soldier, 15 Others Abducted By Boko Haram

Noting that the exercise to de-radicalise terrorists is being handled by security forces, Zulum said the initiative does not give terrorists the freedom to kill and immediately seek pardon.

Advertisement

He said none of the ‘repentant’ terrorists had been reintegrated into society yet, adding that terrorists willing to surrender must immediately “stop further attacks on civilians, security agents and facilities”.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending