Connect with us

News

IPOB Lawyer Cries Out Over Alleged Unlawful Detention Of 24 Members By DSS Since 2021

Published

on

A lawyer to the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnaemeka Ejiofor, has cried out over the alleged unlawful detention of 24 members of the body by security operatives of the Federal Government.

Ejiofor claimed that the detainees were picked up in various states of the South East geo-political zone and had been clamped into detention since 2021.

At a press conference in Abuja on Monday, the legal practitioner alleged that all efforts to locate and interface with the detained IPOB members have been rebuffed by the authorities of the Department of the State Service, DSS.

Advertisement

To worsen the situation for families of the detainees, the counsel alleged that the military authorities and that of the DSS believed to be responsible for the ordeal of his clients have been making conflicting and confusing information on the whereabouts of the people.

READ ALSO: Foreign Airlines Fume, Accuse FG Of Blocking Repatriation Of $700 Million

He said that while the DSS claimed that the detainees were in military custody, the army authorities swore an affidavit in the High Court to the effect that no members of IPOB were in their custody.

Advertisement

Those alleged to have hauled into unknown detention facilities are Ikechukwu Henry,Joy Godwin Udoh, Emeka Ngomadi, Barrister Pius Awoke, Chinedum Nwoha,Igwe Johnson Dike, Ogbonna Joseph Ajah, Kingsley Onovu, Ogbonna David Kenneth Ojima and Fortune Okorie.

Others are Joseph Okafor Eze, Emmanuel Onyibe Chinonso, Uket Godwin,Ogbonna Christian Ndubuisi, Eze Ernest Chukwuemeka, Ibeleme Tochukwu, Emmanuel Ike, Reverend Cletus Egole, Pastor Phillip Chinedu Egole, Chinonso Anyanwu, Kelechi Okeke, Godspower Chilemu and Chukwuma Nwaokike.

Barrister Ejiofor, who accused DSS of flagrant breach of fundamental rights of the detainees, lamented that most of them, especially the clergymen, were innocent but were unlawfully arrested in their various churches.

Advertisement

He also alleged that others were picked up in the nights thereby making it difficult for families of the detainees to ascertain the identities of the security operatives.

He pleaded with DSS authorities to arraign the detainees in law courts if they have committed any known offence instead of keeping them in unknown detention camps in breach of the 1999 Constitution.

READ ALSO: Nnamdi Kanu: IPOB Reacts, Says ‘Biafra Realisation Is Next’

Advertisement

“At a point, we were told that they have been moved to a Military Camp in Kainji where Boko Haram terrorists are being kept but unfortunately, all findings on our parts yielded no fruitful results.

“As I am addressing you, I can confirm to you that since 2021 when my clients were unlawfully arrested, no one has been allowed to see or access them. Our security should do their work diligently and in line with provisions of the law.

“We are not in banana republic. We are in democratic era and everything we are doing, including our security agencies, must be in tune with our laws.”

Advertisement

News

N200b Agric Credit Dispute: Appeal Court Slams NAIC, Upholds First Bank Victory

Published

on

The Court of Appeal, Abuja, has dismissed the appeal filed by the Nigerian Agricultural Insurance Corporation (NAIC) against First Bank of Nigeria in the long-running dispute over the disbursement of the Federal Government’s N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme.

The decision was one of seven precedent-setting judgments delivered in six hours on Friday by Justice Okon Abang, underscoring his reputation as a hardworking, firm, and uncompromisingly principled jurist whose rulings continue to shape Nigeria’s legal landscape across criminal, human rights, banking, and civil litigation.

In 2013, the NAIC dragged First Bank before the Federal High Court via originating summons, alleging that the bank failed to deduct the mandatory 2.5 per cent premium under the agriculture credit scheme. First Bank promptly filed a counter-affidavit and written address, with both sides joining issues and exchanging further processes over the years.

Advertisement

But when the case was ripe for hearing, NAIC sought to suddenly withdraw its suit—claiming an unnamed Bankers’ Committee representative had approached it for an out-of-court settlement.

READ ALSO:Court Dismisses SPDC’s Objections To Compensation Over Hydrocarbon Pollution In A’Ibom

First Bank objected, insisting that once pleadings had been exchanged, withdrawal without consent should lead to dismissal, not a mere striking out. To strike out, the bank argued, would allow NAIC a second bite at the cherry—an abuse of process.

Advertisement

The Federal High Court agreed and dismissed the suit, prompting NAIC to head to the Court of Appeal.

Delivering the unanimous judgment of the Court of Appeal, Justice Abang held that NAIC’s appeal was “grossly misconceived” and that, having seen the bank’s defence, NAIC attempted to retreat and re-strategise, “only being smart, believing that it could cunningly manipulate judicial proceedings to save a suit that appears weak and manifestly unsupported.”

He stressed that, once a defendant’s counter-affidavit has been served, any withdrawal by the claimant must naturally lead to dismissal, not striking out, to avoid overreaching the respondent.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:N6trn: Court Orders Tinubu To Publish NDDC Audit Report, Name Indicted Officials

Justice Abang agreed with the trial court that, “Since issues have been joined and the matter has previously been adjourned on several occasions, the proper order to make on the application of the plaintiff is to dismiss the suit.”

The Court of Appeal also questioned NAIC’s reliance on an alleged intervention by the Bankers’ Committee—a non-party that had earlier resisted being joined in the matter.

Advertisement

The appellate court concluded that NAIC, having sighted the bank’s counter-affidavit, simply lost confidence in its case and sought a “soft landing” to refile later.

READ ALSO:

This cannot be allowed under our watch. The appellant cannot command the impossible,” Justice Abang held, agreeing with the decision of the Federal High Court and dismissing NAIC’s appeal in its entirety, affirming the lower court’s ruling and awarding N1 million costs in favour of First Bank.

Advertisement

The judgment revisits the implementation of the N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme (CACS) launched in 2009 and funded through a DMO-issued bond. The scheme was a flagship intervention of the CBN to boost agricultural productivity through low-interest financing capped at nine per cent.

(GUARDIAN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Records One Of Africa’s Widest Gaps In Policy Reputation Index

Published

on

Nigeria has been identified as one of the African nations suffering the largest disconnect between policy delivery and citizen trust, a finding described as the “defining governance crisis” across the continent, according to the inaugural RPI African Policy Index 2025 released by Reputation Poll International (RPI).

The comprehensive Index, which evaluates governance and policy performance across all 54 African countries, places Nigeria in the middle tier of “Strugglers” with an overall score of 52.3. This category reflects nations that achieve partial policy results but fail to earn public confidence.

Drawing from hard data on policy implementation and perception surveys involving over 25,000 Africans, the report shows that Nigeria records one of the continent’s widest Trust Gaps, sometimes exceeding 25 points between objective performance and citizen confidence.

Advertisement

The report flags Nigeria alongside South Africa, Angola, Egypt, and Zimbabwe as countries with the most severe mismatches.

READ ALSO:Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan

In Nigeria, anti-corruption laws and other initiatives score reasonably well on paper but fail to inspire public trust due to perceived elite impunity and inconsistent enforcement.

Advertisement

Similar patterns exist across these nations, where oil wealth, infrastructure spending, and progressive legislation do not convince ordinary citizens that governments genuinely serve their interests. This trust deficit is highlighted as Africa’s core governance challenge.

The Index emphasises that without deliberate measures to close the gap—through transparent data, citizen audits, and visible accountability—policy ambitions alone cannot produce stable or legitimate outcomes.

By contrast, a small group of nations scoring above 70 demonstrate that world-class governance is achievable when delivery is matched by citizen belief.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Nigerian Army Promotes 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels

Mauritius leads with 78.9, followed by Seychelles at 76.4, Cabo Verde at 74.8, and Botswana at 73.2. These countries excel because strong economic management, high vaccination rates, transparent institutions, and consistent progress in education and digital reforms are reinforced by equally high public trust.

Botswana and Mauritius succeed not because they are wealthy, but because they systematically include citizens in monitoring and feedback, narrowing the trust deficit to near zero.

Advertisement

Over half of Africa, however, remains far from this standard. The Strugglers tier (50–69.9) encompasses 30 countries, while 18 “Systemic Challengers” score below 50, from Sierra Leone at 49.2 to South Sudan at 28.4.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Constitutes Membership For US–Nigeria Security Working Group

In these countries, structural breakdowns, chronic insecurity, and collapsed legitimacy produce average Trust Gaps of 35 points, undermining even modest policy efforts amid daily experiences of violence and exclusion.

Advertisement

Central Africa records the lowest regional average at 41.2, while Southern Africa dominates the top tier. West, East, and North Africa deliver mixed results.

For Nigerian leadership, the Index sends a clear message: policy formulation alone is no longer sufficient. As the country grapples with debt, youth unemployment, and climate pressures, bridging the Trust Gap through better communication, transparency, and inclusive monitoring has become essential to achieve sustained development and restore public confidence.

The RPI African Policy Index 2025 stands as both a warning and a roadmap: unless the trust deficit is addressed, Africa’s governance crisis will only deepen.
(GUARDIAN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

‘My Father Discovered Banana Island’ – Ex-BBNaija Star Claims

Published

on

Former Big Brother Naija reality star, Kiddwaya has claimed that his dad, Terry Waya, discovered the famous Banana Island in Lagos.

He made the claim in a recent of the Off The Record podcast.

The host asked: “I heard that your dad discovered Banana Island. Is that correct?”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Moment Adekunle Gold Light Up BBNaija S10 Finale With ‘Party No Dey Stop’

Kiddwaya replied: “Yeah, I didn’t even know until I heard it during one of my trips.”

Kiddwaya’s dad, Terry Waya is a self-acclaimed billionaire with investments in the real estate, agriculture and hospitality industry.

Advertisement

His public profile was further boosted during and after his son Kiddwaya’s appearance on the Big Brother Naija reality show in 2020.

Watch video here.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending