Connect with us

Headline

Israel Begins Ground Offensive In Gaza Despite International Criticism

Published

on

Israel launched its long-anticipated ground assault on Gaza City before dawn on Tuesday, shortly after visiting US Secretary of State Marco Rubio backed its goal of eradicating Hamas in Gaza.

A United Nations probe, meanwhile, charged Israel with committing “genocide” in the Palestinian territory and accused Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other top officials of incitement.

The assault drew widespread condemnation, with the UN rights chief demanding an end to the “carnage”.

Advertisement

During the night, the military unleashed a massive bombardment of Gaza City as Israeli troops moved deeper into the territory’s largest urban hub.

Last night, we transitioned into the next phase, the main phase of the plan for Gaza City… Forces have expanded ground activity into Hamas’s main stronghold in Gaza, which is Gaza City,” a military official told journalists.

“We are moving towards the centre” of Gaza City, he said.

Advertisement

The military estimated there were 2,000-3,000 Hamas militants operating in the area, he added.

READ ALSO:Spain Cancels $825m Israel Arms Deal Over Gaza

Defence Minister Israel Katz earlier said Gaza City was “on fire”. “The IDF (Israeli military) is striking terrorist infrastructure with an iron fist,” he said.

Advertisement

The military estimated that about “40 per cent” of Gaza City residents had left and moved to the territory’s south, the military official said.

Witnesses told AFP of relentless bombing in Gaza City, much of which is already in ruins after nearly two years of Israeli strikes.

Only huge piles of rubble remained of a residential block in the north of the city, hit by overnight bombing.

Advertisement

“Why kill children sleeping safely like that, turning them into body parts?” said Abu Abd Zaquout.

“We pulled the children out in pieces.”

– ‘Genocide’ –

Advertisement

Gaza’s civil defence agency said at least 36 people had been killed by Israeli fire on Tuesday.

Media restrictions in the territory and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify the details provided by the civil defence agency or the Israeli military.

The UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry (COI), which does not speak for the world body, found that “genocide is occurring in Gaza and is continuing to occur”, commission chief Navi Pillay told AFP.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NGO Says Starving Gaza Children Too Weak To Cry

The responsibility lies with the State of Israel.”

The investigators said explicit statements by Israeli civilian and military authorities, along with the pattern of Israeli forces’ conduct, “indicated that the genocidal acts were committed with intent to destroy… Palestinians in the Gaza Strip as a group”.

Advertisement

The report concluded that Netanyahu, President Isaac Herzog, and former defence minister Yoav Gallant have “incited the commission of genocide”.

Israel said it “categorically rejects this distorted and false report” and called for the “immediate abolition” of the COI.

UN rights chief Volker Turk told AFP and Reuters that: “It’s for the court to decide whether it’s genocide or not, and we see the evidence mounting.”

Advertisement

The European Union said the ground assault on Gaza City would worsen an already “catastrophic” humanitarian situation, while Britain said it would bring only “more bloodshed, kill more innocent civilians and endanger the remaining hostages”.

– Statehood push –

Despite the mounting criticism, Rubio on Monday offered robust backing for the offensive as he met Netanyahu.

Advertisement

“We think we have a very short window of time in which a deal can happen. We don’t have months anymore, and we probably have days and maybe a few weeks to go,” he told reporters as he left Israel.

Rubio said a diplomatic solution in which Hamas demilitarises remained the US preference, although he added: “Sometimes when you’re dealing with a group of savages like Hamas, that’s not possible, but we hope it can happen.”

READ ALSO:Palestinians Flee As Israel Intensifies Assault On Gaza City

Advertisement

Before flying out to Qatar, the top US diplomat said he hoped the US ally would keep up its Gaza mediation efforts, despite Israel carrying out air strikes against Hamas leaders gathered in the Gulf country last week to consider a US truce proposal.

“We want them to know that if there’s any country in the world that could help end this through a negotiation, it’s Qatar,” Rubio said.

Rubio’s visit came a week before France was set to lead a UN summit in which several Western governments, angered by what they see as Israeli intransigence, plan to recognise a Palestinian state.

Advertisement

Rubio called statehood recognition “largely symbolic”, while Netanyahu — whose government is fervently opposed to such a move — said his country may take unspecified “unilateral steps” in response.

The October 2023 attack by Hamas resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally of official figures.

Israel’s retaliatory campaign in Gaza has killed at least 64,964 people, also mostly civilians, according to figures from the territory’s health ministry that the United Nations considers reliable.

Advertisement

AFP

 

Advertisement

Headline

 ‘Pioneer Of Cable TV News’: Key Facts About CNN Founder, Ted Turner

Published

on

Ted Turner, the media businessman who founded CNN died at the age of 87. He died peacefully on Wednesday, surrounded by family, according to Turner Enterprises.

Contents

Launched 24-hour news television

Advertisement

Built a media network

Expanded through sports

Recognition and influence

Advertisement

Philanthropy and global causes

Environmental efforts

Health and later years

Advertisement

Early career path

Leadership and legacy

Personal life

Advertisement

Exit from business

Family

Below are key facts about his life and impact:

Advertisement

Launched 24-hour news television

Turner founded CNN on June 1, 1980, introducing the first 24-hour news channel and changing how audiences follow global events.

READ ALSO:CNN To Layoff 200 Staff Amid Attempts To Modernise Business

Advertisement

Built a media network

He moved from billboards into broadcasting, turning an Atlanta TV station into a national superstation in 1976. His business later grew to include CNN International, TNT, Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network.

Expanded through sports

Turner invested in sports broadcasting and owned teams including the Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta Hawks, using television to reach wider audiences.

Recognition and influence

In 1991, he was named Time magazine’s Man of the Year for his role in shaping modern news coverage.

Advertisement

Philanthropy and global causes

He founded the United Nations Foundation and supported campaigns against nuclear weapons. In 1997, he pledged $1 billion to the United Nations.

READ ALSO:CNN President, Jeff Zucker Resigns After Failing To Disclose Secret Affair With Colleague

Turner supported conservation work, including reintroducing bison in the United States, and backed environmental education through the “Captain Planet” cartoon.

Advertisement

Health and later years

In 2018, Turner revealed he had Lewy body dementia. He also recovered from a mild case of pneumonia in early 2025.

Early career path

He took over his father’s billboard company at 24 after his father’s death and later expanded into radio and television, despite limited experience in journalism.

I worked until 7 o’clock, and when I got home the news was over,” he once said. “So I missed television news completely. And I figured there were lots of people like me.”

Advertisement

Leadership and legacy

READ ALSO:CNN Reporter Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee

Ted was an intensely involved and committed leader, intrepid, fearless and always willing to back a hunch and trust his own judgement,” Mark Thompson, Chairman and CEO of CNN Worldwide, said in a statement. “He was and always will be the presiding spirit of CNN. Ted is the giant on whose shoulders we stand, and we will all take a moment today to recognize him and his impact on our lives and the world.”

Personal life

Turner married actress Jane Fonda in 1991, and they later divorced after 10 years, though they remained close.

Advertisement

I would never love anyone like I love him,” she said. “But I just couldn’t keep moving in his world, along the surface for the rest of my life. I knew that I would get to the end of my life and regret not doing the things that I also needed to do for me.”

Exit from business

He sold his company to Time Warner in 1996 and later stepped away following its merger with AOL.

Reflecting on his life, Turner once said: “I lost Jane. I lost my job here. I lost my fortune, most of it. Got a billion or two left. You can get by on that if you economize.”

Advertisement

Family

He is survived by his five children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Continue Reading

Headline

Iran’s Nationwide Internet Shutdown Hits 70 Days

Published

on

NetBlocks, a monitoring group, has disclosed that an internet shutdown enforced by the Iranian regime has entered its 70th day, severing key access from swathes of the population under the shadow of war.

NetBlocks reported on Friday that the blackout has now surpassed 1,656 hours, marking more than two months since US-Israeli strikes pounded Tehran and escalated across the Middle East.

“Digital connectivity is vital in times of crisis,” NetBlocks said in a post on X. “Limiting service harms those most in need – people with disabilities, students, small businesses and the general public.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:US Underestimated Iran Before War – France’s Bardella

According to CNN, Iran imposed a separate internet shutdown on the country’s 92 million people earlier this year, when it launched the most lethal crackdown on anti-government protesters since the Islamic Republic’s founding 47 years ago.

CNN further reports that the latest blackout has cut off another potential lifeline for Iranian residents faced with high unemployment and economic pressure exacerbated by the US-Israeli campaign.

Advertisement

(CNN)

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Gas Prices In US Edge Down After Two Weeks Of Increases

Published

on

The cost of a gallon of regular gas in the United States (US) has edged down a little more than a penny to $4.55.

According to AAA’s readings, this marks the first decline in the average gas price after 15 straight days of increases.

The decline is minuscule compared to the large increases in gas prices over the last two weeks.

Advertisement

According to CNN, gasoline costs rose an average of nearly 4 cents a day during that period and had several daily increases of between 7 and 9 cents.

READ ALSO:Gas Station Explosion Rocks Calabar, Scores Injured, Property Destroyed

Also Read: Trump insists US-Iran ceasefire intact despite recent exchange of fire

Advertisement

CNN also reports that based on past gas spikes, it will likely take weeks for gas prices to get down below $4 a gallon.

The report, however, states that a previous two-week stretch of gas price declines only shaved 14 cents off the average price, taking the average price to $4.02, before the recent 15-day run of increases.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Signs Executive Order To Protect Nigeria’s Oil & Gas Revenue

Advertisement

According to CNN, it could take months for the average price to fall below $3 per gallon, as it did before the war in Iran.

CNN further reports that only one state – Oklahoma – now has an average price of less than $4 a gallon, and its average stands at $3.98. California has the highest average price at $6.16.

(CNN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending